Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd car recommendation!

So we've gone from 4 cars to 3 to now just 2 and are left with just:
911 C2S 2009
2008 Toyota Highlander Sport
(the motorcycles and vehicles in Europe don't count!)

The C2S is my "daily" driver (which I don't drive daily) and my wife drives the Highlander.
Our family is 3 pax. No plans of growing that for quite some time (until we have grand-children, but the son is just 11, so there's plenty of time!)
My wife was looking at fun cars; Fiat Abarth, Mini Cooper S
My only concern is having a 11 year old who is just 1.5" shy of my wife's size and having just 2 "small" cars. She has said, she would go in the back when he is taller and while I think that is sweat; I also think that will only be sweat for the first 2 or 3 trips with all 3 in the vehicle... then it'll be a real pain.

Any recommendations?
She'd like something more fun than the highlander, we don't have any great hauling needs other than us three, but while the boat has been on the lift; we're stuck with no tow vehicle for now (she won't go for a pick-up). As rare as we need a tow vehicle, we could probably rent, although that's a pain.
Oh... the new addition or replacement needs to be "cute"

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
(BTW; how does one subscribe to a lifetime membership for this forum?)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow, soooooooo many options, you need to break down a bit further, 2-door, 4-door, wagons, CUVs, SUVs, price range, etc...

FIAT and Mini are fantastic fun cars but smaller, more for city driving.

I'd say any smaller BMW, Audi, Mercedes nicely setup would be fun. 128, 135, 335, A3, A4, AND the new MB CLA 250.

Then there's the new Subaru BRZ and the Toyota's sister car, amazing RWD, fun, great handling cars, but on the small side too.

Too many options really...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

My wife loves her Mini Cooper S (R56). And I don't mind driving it at all. It's one of the "Cute" cars that you see a lot of guys driving too. Not sure about the Fiat. In LA its mostly women driving them. Mini is pretty small in back seat. You can fit 4 in, but if anyone in the back is more than 5'6" they are going to be tight. I think the Fiat is worse. I have a BMW 5 series DD. As far as other premium smaller cars you could look at the BMW 3 (1 is as small as Mini in back), or the new Audi A3 looks pretty sweet, not out yet. Mini Clubman will give you more room in back, that might be something to consider. Little bigger than the Cooper.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Hey,

thx for the couple of replies so far. Spyerx; I think the cooper S could be fun. I rented a Cooper (not S) in Fance and that was a real let down. I just took a look at specs though and the diff is 120HP vs 180HP... big difference on that size vehicle.
Alexb76; I agree with you: so many options. She's all over the place and I am trying to keep things fun. For God-sake - she's even suggested a Prius-C.... not cute and NOT FUN!
We're still pretty young (right at 40 - but going on 16 in my head!), so I think the Prius and the like can wait.
She drives about 7k a year and I'm not even close to that on any one vehicle. My 911 has managed to get to 11.5k after 3 years, and it's not for lack of trying to drive her. I'm just not around that much and when I am; I really don't NEED to drive hardly at all.

I think, she thinks she'd like something along the lines of the Fiat Abarth (I drove one and that is fun!) or Cooper S, but in all reality; we've got the kiddo pushing 5'3" at 11 years old. I'm happy for him to have this car once he's 16, but he needs to fit somewhere for the next 5 years :-)
Subaru... kinda slid of my radar, but I did like the WRX at some point - might have to re-explore.

There's no specific between 2 and 4 (or 5) door models. Price range... tough one; she's gone from $16k to $35k and in between - since we were going small and inconvenient I even suggested a Boxster and we'd go back to at least 3 vehicles with some sort of pick-up truck for doing what needs doing!

Last edited by CtrUSA; 01-17-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I just sold my wife's BMW 128 and I seem to have a bit of remorse over it. It maintained go cart feel to the handling while providing a descent amount of hp making it fun to drive around town. The back seats are a tad on the small side but can be comfortable enough for children on short trips.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The S and non-S are totally different beasts. I was going to get my wife the non-s originally but drove the S and well, that sold me on the even though she would have never noticed the difference.

Like porsche, Mini can be optioned up the wazoo. Hers is a loaded MCS with, at the time, every option but Nav, I think it was about 31k. About 10k in options. That was in 2007. Same spec is about 34k now and a loaded up JCW can get close to 40. Nothing by BMW or Porsche prices, but this is a Mini!

That said, they are really fun cars to drive. The downside? Not terribly reliable and not cheap to fix (BMW maint prices) and are more British than German for their reliability, oh and that French engine. Since the warranty has been up I've spent about 1k/yr on maint and repair. Primary repair issues: timing chain tensioner, water pump, carbon build-up. Car is driven about 6k/miles/yr. Not 'horrible' but not honda-cheap either. You can check northamericanmotoring.com for a fantastic mini-forum to read up on the quirks of mini.

Would I get another? Yeah. When the new MCS comes out we'll get it. Car is perfect size for her (we're a little younger than you, no kids) and outside the Fiat, there isn't a whole lot interesting in this space. BMW 1, A3, New Merc were all mentioned already... And it drives great.

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
thx for the couple of replies so far. Spyerx; I think the cooper S could be fun. I rented a Cooper (not S) in Fance and that was a real let down. I just took a look at specs though and the diff is 120HP vs 180HP... big difference on that size vehicle.
There's no specific between 2 and 4 (or 5) door models. Price range... tough one; she's gone from $16k to $35k and in between - since we were going small and inconvenient I even suggested a Boxter and we'd go back to at least 3 vehicles with some sort of pick-up truck for doing what needs doing!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a Cooper S for several years and it was great fun, but it's a tight squeeze for three. Entry and exit is a little difficult. The Clubman is better, but it has very long doors and you need lots of space around it. it wasn't practical for our garage. The Mini Countryman has more space and you can spec it with four seats which looks very cool.

Would a 6 cylinder Cayenne meet your towing needs? That might be a good all-rounder and you could stick with two cars.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

How about the new BRZ Subaru? Looks great and handles like a peach.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM
2005997carrera2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you looking to spend? I have a 16 year old, and remember testing a Cooper S when my son was about your sons age, and the back being way too small, same problem when I got a 135i rental car. I would get a BMW 3 series Coupe which is about to be replaced by the 4 series, and you could probably get a really good deal on it since it's the outgoing model.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
So we've gone from 4 cars to 3 to now just 2 and are left with just:
911 C2S 2009
2008 Toyota Highlander Sport
(the motorcycles and vehicles in Europe don't count!)

The C2S is my "daily" driver (which I don't drive daily) and my wife drives the Highlander.
Our family is 3 pax. No plans of growing that for quite some time (until we have grand-children, but the son is just 11, so there's plenty of time!)
My wife was looking at fun cars; Fiat Abarth, Mini Cooper S
My only concern is having a 11 year old who is just 1.5" shy of my wife's size and having just 2 "small" cars. She has said, she would go in the back when he is taller and while I think that is sweat; I also think that will only be sweat for the first 2 or 3 trips with all 3 in the vehicle... then it'll be a real pain.

Any recommendations?
She'd like something more fun than the highlander, we don't have any great hauling needs other than us three, but while the boat has been on the lift; we're stuck with no tow vehicle for now (she won't go for a pick-up). As rare as we need a tow vehicle, we could probably rent, although that's a pain.
Oh... the new addition or replacement needs to be "cute"

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
(BTW; how does one subscribe to a lifetime membership for this forum?)
The Mini S or even the Mini JCW has been tugging at me for a long while now. Over a year ago I came across a nearby dealer that had over 64 Mini S's for sale. Seems like most were in Laser Blue a nice color.

I changed my mind though. The Mini is a bit small for what I was looking for at the time: a lower cost GT than my 996 Turbo and a roomier GT and with fewer miles than my 02 Boxster.

I considered the Fiat 500, the Abarth one. But I changed my mind on this car too. Smaller than the Mini S.

Before the Fiat, before the Mini, I had a deposit on a Smart but once the cars started arriving I changed my mind.

BMWs don't interest me all that much. Same goes for Lexus, Accura, Infiniti... My sister has a 2011 EX35 Voyager (the cross over SUV). All of the cars are nice and I've driven the Infiniti around 800 miles this last year on behalf of my sister and while it is a nice car, all of the above are nice cars, they're just not my kind of car.

Over a year ago a Porsche tech picked up a nice Mercedes Benz M class that was a trade in at another dealer in the dealer group.

I've liked the M class ever since it arrived but I looked into one a bit but an SUV just didn't fit my needs then.

More recently with my parents living near by a 4 door sedan is what I need. A Panamara is too expensive. A Cayenne ditto and the used ones have lots of miles. The Cayenne is a bit too big for my taste though the Porsche techs swear the air suspension is the hot ticket for people with limited mobility -- my parents -- to help them get in and out of the car.

So, I've kind of started looking at a Mercedes Benz C class. The C300 4Matic Sport Sedan has rather caught my eye.

The local M-B dealer has a lot full of cars, and even has some "stashed" at a nearby hotel parking lot which just happens to have a restaurant I eat at once in a while and it was leaving this restaurant one night that had me spotting the lot full of surplus cars and got me to thinking.

At other times this lot has been empty, so my thinking is the dealer has an overstock of cars.. That's when I like to buy.

I have not test driven one yet, but my online research has me seriously thinking about a C class.

Nothing fancy: V6, 7 speed auto, cruise, auto climate, maybe dual zone, 4 doors, trunk. I found some used ones with not too many miles at some tempting prices...

As I get some more free time I'm thinking of going out and kicking some C300 class tires...

'course we're talking about a car for your wife. If she likes the Mini Cooper S or the Fiat Abarth go along with her while she looks at examples of both. She's going to buy one or the the other.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would lean towards a VW or Audi, the VW GTI is a crazy fun car and has more room than the others you mentioned. Same with the Audi A3.

It may seem like a carzy choice, but I would also test drive the Ford Focus ST, it blows all those cars away in fun factor and practicality, the looks have grown on me also.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

how about a freakin' Mercedes Benz? an SL for the wife would make her happy every day
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I would lean towards a VW or Audi, the VW GTI is a crazy fun car and has more room than the others you mentioned. Same with the Audi A3.
I have a VW GTI and it's a fun little car. The 4 door is very roomy for its size, it gets great gas mileage and it's not as pricey to maintain as say a mini cooper or even the A3. I would recommend test driving one and see how it fits your family.

Ken
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi S4
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Thanks for all the input.
I had thought of the VW GTI but not the Ford Focus ST I must say. My wife plays tennis with the wife of the local Ford dealer, so could possibly get something interesting.
Audi S4 would be nice.
As far as "cute" factor I must say that Fiat and Mini hit the nail on the head, but realistically, it's not going to be fun being 3 in any of those and we really don't need a small car. She just wanted/wants something "cute" and fun.

I guess we'll hit the dealers this weekend and see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd car recommendation!