Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd car recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
dw.metro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We currently have a Fiat 500 as our second car and it is fantastic for city driving. They are cheap to buy and economical to run. If you need more room, the Mercedes ML Bluetecs or the older CDI SUV diesels look very interesting as they claim to get incredible gas mileage. They look like a good second car option as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Jeep is going another direction... I'm craving a 4x4 lately in my garage!

But regarding the Mini vs GTI/Golf: You need to drive them both and decide. My wife will claim the mini wins cute-ness in spades. But I've driven both and they are both nice cars. I personally felt the Mini was more of a drivers car, the GTI felt "heavy" where the mini is like a slot car in the corners. That said, only you can decide which is best.

I've had similar reliability with my Mini as I had with previous Audi & VW cars I've owned (5 total). Meaning, a little worse than my BMWs (on my 4th) and worse than Porsche (on my 1st). Neither was horrible, but neither are honda-reliable (had 4 of those). R56 mini had its quirks: carbon buildup on DFI engine, timing chain tensioner issue, oil consumption, HPFP, sway bar bushing wear... . Most of these have been worked out by MY13. My last VW / Audi car was a 2004 so I don't have current info on those.

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
Does anyone have any experience with the Mini John Cooper Works? It seems we're now at a race between 3; GTI vs mini JCW vs Wrangler
With all the customizable options, the Mini can get quite "fun" and the 208HP should also make it fun. There's the issue of space, but it seems we're headed for a less reasoned decision which is just as well and therefore maybe back to 3 vehicles which would work better for me/us I think.

I've had some experience with VW GTI way back (rabbit!) and its reliability. None with MINI. Are these little go-karts fairly reliable?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
SUNTAN
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy wife plus 10 and 8 yr. old girls in my household. DD an F-150 and a 328i.

No Mini experience.

Had two GTI's. I LOVED um both, wife could never accept the styling. TDI Golf is also nice. Golf/GTI still made in Germany I believe, big plus in my book!

Owned one Wrangler (Unlimited). Absolutely would not recommend as DD. Otherwise it's all upside. For mods, it doesn't get any better! Super cheep, especially compared to PCAR mods. You can go as crazy, but a great look and function are easy to achieve. Fantastic cult following, you will master the "Jeep Wave" and get just as many compliments as you do on your 911. ROCK solid re-sale, bought mine new, modded, drove just short of 2 yrs. and almost made money. In my opinion every car nut has to do a Wrangler at least once. I will definitely do it again.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have any experience with the Mini John Cooper Works? It seems we're now at a race between 3; GTI vs mini JCW vs Wrangler
With all the customizable options, the Mini can get quite "fun" and the 208HP should also make it fun. There's the issue of space, but it seems we're headed for a less reasoned decision which is just as well and therefore maybe back to 3 vehicles which would work better for me/us I think.

I've had some experience with VW GTI way back (rabbit!) and its reliability. None with MINI. Are these little go-karts fairly reliable?

Thanks!
A friend of mine had a JCW. It rode noticeably smoother than my wife's cooper s (lighter wheels?). It was also a fair bit quicker. The interior was dressed up a little better, the black headliner is standard and makes a big difference to the look. If you have a choice, the "lounge" leather option gives you much more comfortable seats. My wife's car had the "punch" leather, which was ok. The standard pleather is a bit uncomfortable in the back, not much padding in the seats. Basically the JCW is the one to get. I did suggest to my wife to test drive a GTi but she stated that "it looks like a shoe" and that was the end of that conversation.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about getting her an Aston Martin??
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

The Aston Martin Cygnet is pretty ugly IMO and very subpar performance.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Originally Posted by zanwar
A friend of mine had a JCW. It rode noticeably smoother than my wife's cooper s (lighter wheels?). It was also a fair bit quicker. The interior was dressed up a little better, the black headliner is standard and makes a big difference to the look. If you have a choice, the "lounge" leather option gives you much more comfortable seats. My wife's car had the "punch" leather, which was ok. The standard pleather is a bit uncomfortable in the back, not much padding in the seats. Basically the JCW is the one to get. I did suggest to my wife to test drive a GTi but she stated that "it looks like a shoe" and that was the end of that conversation.
Thanks Zanwar. Good info on the seating!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

The Aston Martin Cygnet is pretty ugly IMO and very subpar performance.
you got that right....
but the Vantage looks good
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Sure the Vantage is nice. She just doesn't want that and doesn't to spend that much on a car for her. Same with Mercedes and doesn't want a sedan looking car.
Had a bit of fun building a Mini JCW (hope this will work)

Name:  JCW.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  106.9 KB
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Sure the Vantage is nice. She just doesn't want that and doesn't to spend that much on a car for her. Same with Mercedes and doesn't want a sedan looking car.
Had a bit of fun building a Mini JCW (hope this will work)

Attachment 697733
haha, true enough, they go for some serious coin........
your wife should try a Black Series C Class

those mini's always remind me of Charlize Theron in the newest version
of The Italian Job, (not a bad thing)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche Panamera S.

I don't know if it will tow (I don't have a boat) but I love mine. It's my DD and the 997 is the toy.

I've had a Mini Cooper S. Fun little car, but people don't see you in traffic, and I got cut-off a lot. I worried about getting creamed by some idiot in an SUV, so I sold it and bought a grown-up car.

Actually, the Mini is probably taller (although shorter) than the 911, but I've only been cut-off once in a 911 by some old lady. She probably didn't even look anyway.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Well, we tried the Wrangler and as I suspected, it would be better as a 3rd vehicle than a DD. Just too much noise, and while it's fun and would be great off road, it's also a little antiquated and, well, more of a third car (for us).
MINI JCW and GTI This weekend. Process of elimination has started.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Well; it looks like we'll be getting a MINI JCW.
We did try a GTI and while it is roomier, it wasn't nearly as much fun. We were going to be tempted by the Golf R, but the dealership preferred no test drives, so no purchase.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

any updates? already enjoying the new car?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 575 Posts
Default Range Rover, Toureg, Q5?

Any comments on a used Ranger Rover or VW Toureg? Q5? Looking at swapping out the wifes's 528i for something more practical for skiing and kite boarding.

Quick Reply: 2nd car recommendation!