Sponsored by:

oem ssk - help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I have installed both the B&M and the Porsche SSK (v 2 as noted above) in my two Porsches. I put the B&M in my '04 996. I liked the shorter shift, but it was a little notchy. I installed the Porsche SSK (v 2) in my '10 C2S. I prefer the feel and smoothness of the Porsche over the B&M. I recommend the Porsche SSK, even when considering the higher cost.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jets
B&M SS is half the price of OEM and people swear up n down it just as good or better than OEM. I'd say that's 'cheap"
My SA recommended the B&M over the OEM SSK... he was a p-car tech originally, did numerous installs of both, and helped me install my B&M. Why 2nd guest an expert I figure especially when it saves me some $$. I'm very satisfied with my B&M SSK 7 months after the install. Note that the B&M is highly adjustable... from slippery to machine tight. I suspect this is why some may have had issues with it if the SSK was not adjusted properly to the driver's preference.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 AM
chbernat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help and advice. I guess the consensus is to scrap it and buy a new oem kit. Thx!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
chbernat
Advanced

Quick question. If I just changed out the actual shifter and post and used my base and fittings wouldn't that work? Can I reuse the white clip/bushings that hold it in place?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
jets
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chbernat
Quick question. If I just changed out the actual shifter and post and used my base and fittings wouldn't that work? Can I reuse the white clip/bushings that hold it in place?
Yes, that is what I posted earlier. Any Porsche tech should be able to install that part as it is a retro fit part from the factory anyway.

IMHO, some posts in this thread are by people with no mechanical aptitude and stop short of some simple common sense. If you ordered PN 000 044 700 26 from Porsche you would get exactly what you have in the photo minus the assembly that bolts into the car. You would have to reuse your stock assembly anyhow.

Enjoy
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

B&M SS kit is bulletproof and works great once it's installed, but it is more than just a PIA to install.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's the B&M install PDF. http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/imag...9500725-06.pdf Steps 36-59 illustrates how to graft a B&M shifter into the stock OEM bracket... assuming that's what you really have. May be worth the effort especially if you have access to a full kit nearby JIC things don't work as planned. Frankly the B&M is inexpensive enough from Bumperplugs that at $239 I would just get that... Eric is very responsive so great to do business with there. http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jets
Yes, that is what I posted earlier. Any Porsche tech should be able to install that part as it is a retro fit part from the factory anyway.

IMHO, some posts in this thread are by people with no mechanical aptitude and stop short of some simple common sense. If you ordered PN 000 044 700 26 from Porsche you would get exactly what you have in the photo minus the assembly that bolts into the car. You would have to reuse your stock assembly anyhow.

Enjoy
But would you have to cut/modify the assembly base to make it work as shown in his original pictures?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is still under warranty, I would recommend going with the OEM kit vs. the B&M. I'm not saying it's better or worse but could give you some added protection in case of a transmission issue claim.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chbernat
Not sure anyone answered this.

I believe the white clips (aka shifter bushings) are not reuseable or at least very diffcult to extract. But I could be wrong. B&M install instructions required cutting the plastic stock bushings to remove the stock shifter. Your pics show plastic bushings on the SSK.

Recommend you ask a porsche parts guy if they sell OEM SSK bushings. You'll need to know what version box you have, V1 or V2. V1 has a slighter wider hole diameter than the V2. I didn't see much on the web, and only bushings for much older 911s on pelican. Nothing specific on PET either. Bushings are usually sold with the shifter. Did see this in a quick search.

http://www.automotion.com/clutch-par...r-porsche.html

I'm assuming here that you are thinking of using the original shift box in your car. This is a good idea. Are you planning to DIY this?

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 01-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 AM
chbernat
Advanced

Yes I am planning a DIY. I'm just a little hesitant since I don't have all the parts and pieces. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM
chbernat
Advanced

Thanks for all the help etc. I finished the job in a couple hours yesterday and it wasn't tough at all.
I'm really enjoying the ssk and would recommend it!!!

Quick Reply: oem ssk - help