Sponsored by:

SSK removal of console

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 AM
chbernat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSK removal of console

I am going to start this project and I can't seem to find 997.1 DIY instructions for what needs to be removed etc. I don't think I need to remove the front console but I want instructions before I start.
Thanks for the help in advanced.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

You need to. USMC DS01 provided a BM installation guide in your prior thread, click the link. Also, there is a very good guide in the 997 diy section that shows console removal for a shifter cable removal and replacement.

Feel free to pm me as I just did this two weeks ago. I'll be removing my console tomorrow to tweak my shifter cables.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 01-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM
chbernat
Advanced

Just finished. Wasn't hard at all. Thanks for the help and the tips/instructions. I like it much more then I thought I would!
Thanks again.
Any advice on CAI? Looking at the maxflo by fabspeed and there are many mixed reviews....?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Glad it turned out. It's a must do mod and makes the car more enjoyable to drive. Any pics?

btw. I readjusted my shifter cables today and the shift action is much better. Spent about one hour driving and making the adjustments.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Chbernet I recently installed Fabspeed Maxflo Competition intake and really like it. It really provides a nice deep grunt and screams when over 5K. Throttle response also seems improved. Really Complements my Fabspped MaxFlo exhaust system. Glad you are enjoying your SSK. I also just added a B&M SSK and am really liking it.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 AM
chbernat
Advanced

I forgot to take pics. Darn. Was a fun little project though for my first time ever working on a car.
What do you mean by adjusting? What can you adjust?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chbernat
I forgot to take pics. Darn. Was a fun little project though for my first time ever working on a car.
What do you mean by adjusting? What can you adjust?
Agree it was fun, save breaking the original shifter ****.

The adjustment I was referring to is where the cable ends are positioned in the threaded couplings. The left coupling can be used to adj side position of the shifter (I call it tilt) and right coupling moving the shifter up or down (towards the dash or rear). You can do this with any shifter, ssk or b&m. The b&m had an end play adj, I made this tight but smooth per instructions.

Most mark the position of the cable ends with the stock shifter in place and replace in the same locations with the short shifter. I moved the left cable end further into the coupling to add more left tilt. This took a rubbing sensation away when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Shifts to 2nd from others gears (i.e, 3 4) were improved as well. Getting 1st while still moving is somewhat better than before. Not great but better. The right cable was put back exactly at the marker line.

I wouldn't guaranty this works for all installations but it did in my case. I did find it interesting how aligning the tilt of the shifter and shifter box tab produced the best feel.

It was helpful to drive with the console off and make the adjustments on the fly.

Quick Reply: SSK removal of console