Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
chbernat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Wrap

I have a 911 997 C2 and I am looking at doing some upgrades in the near future. I have picked out x-pipe and CAI from Fabspeed, purchased a OEM short shifter and probably adding a third rad. I have done the ECU upgrade already for throttle response etc. Now my question.....I have a friend that used to race and said I should wrap my exhaust and headers with Thermo Wrap of some sort.....I have never heard of this but he claims would be the best upgrade???
Anyone have any insight? And also comment on my upgrades or give other options?
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I've seen race teams wrap their CAI as well to keep the air incoming air as cold as possible. That part I understand. Would like to understand from others the true benefits of wrapping or ceramic coating an exhaust systems as well if there is any. I have noticed that it's mainly the exhaust headers which are wrapped or ceramic coated.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i've never heard of it, but are YOU racing/tracking? if not, i'm sure why all the mods - esp the radiator. if so, i would say invest in some lessons, track days, and learn to drive what you have. if you've already done that, then i would look into suspension changes.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe the proposed benefit of wrapping exhaust headers is that it keeps the heat in, thus the exhaust gasses stay hot, which means they stay less dense and flow better. I think once it gets to an expansion area the benefit (if there actually is any measureable one) decreases.

The other benefit would be it keeps the heat away from the engine.

Last edited by mattyf; 01-11-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Dplus
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently replaced the stock mufflers on my 993 with Fabspeed Maxflo's. The Fabspeeds don't have the heat sheilds on the outlet section like the stock mufflers do. Even after Fabspeed said there is no danger of melting the bumper cover in that area, I decided to wrap the outlet anyway. After the first drive, and several after, the smell was so bad I had to remove it. Stunk up the garage and could smell it while stopped at lights.

I did it for heat protection of the surrounding area, not sure of the perfomance gains.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't bother on a street 911 to wrap any exhaust components...

i would consider it on a turbo car to lower engine bay temps and/or protect sensitive components. It is effective 100% as i have personally experienced with my now sold Lancer EVO IX which was pushing more than 600awhp on pumpgas...

On the 911, unless you have done custom exhausts that pass closer to sensitive components i would not spend the time or the money...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

You already have a CAI why waste you money on the Fabspeed intake which slows hot engine air into the cone filters?

That exhaust wrap doesn't stay on the headers for ever. From driving in everyday elements you'll need to re-wrap it from time to time. For street and DE track events it is basically useless.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Use the gold heat shield to protect parts.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap