Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today I cried (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

First..Sorry to see the damage. I feel your pain. But the good news is that to me it looks like its just the bumper was damaged. That piece can easily be replaced. I would rather have the bumper damaged then the hood or a door.

Just curious how was your neighbor's reaction to the accident. Did she notify you and want to take full responsibilty of her actions or did she try to make excuses?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Thanks Mike.

Do you think in this case it would just require a new bumper and new paint? vs. refinishing.
Yes that is what I think they will do. Its just a bumper cover (plastic)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Well folks,

I really (foolishly) never thought that my pristine C2S cab would never fall victim to someone's stupidity.

After 2.5 yrs of ownership, and 6.5 years of total life of this car, and just a tad over 20K miles, my idiot neighbor in our high rise garage must have used some crazy geometry to hit my car this morning on her way out.

I am sad. I know it's just a car, but when you try so hard to keep it pristine and someone does something like this, it just hurts.

It's only the bumper and I plan to take it like Mathews Carlsen, which is one of the best shops around here and they specialize in Porsches and Audis. I believe it will look factory new when done.

I would like some advice on diminished value. Something I should worry about?

Appreciate everyone listening. *sigh*

-a.
Not good but also not something you should lose sleep over imo. A good shop will restore it to where you absolutely can't tell what once happened. As for diminished value, not sure that applies here since it's just the bumper. If somebody tries to beat you up on price over a restored bumper when it's time to sell or trade I would move on to someone with credibility and integrity.

My car got hit fairly recently (link below). Worse than yours since the right rear quarter panel was damaged along with some other tail pieces. The car looks like it always did after the repairs but I did get $3,500 in diminished value compensation from Geico. Close enough to what my dealer said they would deduct in trade-in value.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9465727-post1.html
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife's 2013 Cayenne GTS (Carmine Red) was rear ended (I was driving and not even stopped, creeping at like 5 mph, just someone not paying attention) after 1 month. Sucks but cars can be fixed.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

It sucks but it's nothing! Someone will fix it good as new.

Tom
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bumper cover takes all of 1/2 hour to remove, and another 1/2 hour to replace.
Ask all the guys that have done muffler mods and removed the rear bumper cover.
I'd get a new cover sprayed, yank the old one off, and put the freshly painted one on.
If there was ever an accident that is purely cosmetic, that's it.
Sucks, but no sweat, and as long as you get proper paint on the new one, the value of the car is not diminished. Take photos to document the lack of damage in case it does show up on Carfax.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
darthhowie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Luckily it's just the plastic bumper. Have it replaced with a new one and there should be no issues.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I feel your pain. You'll likely have to replace the heat shield inside the bumper cover and the bumper cover, but as others have said, it's just the bumper and with a good paint job it will literally be as good as new. I see no diminshed value concerns. At least it wasn't self inflicted.

I had the rear wiper arm up on my prior 996 while washing it a few years ago and I bumped it, it flipped and snapped down my rear quarter panel, leaving a 2 inch gash in the perfect paint. About $800 later it was like new, but it didn't help that it was self inflicted. Now THAT will make you want to toss your cookies - doin' it to your own ride. Black zip tie on the arm prevented that from ever happening again.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks guys. Very much appreciate the encouragement!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically the same thing happened to me on a 07' 997 I had but it was the front bumper. The guy who back into me had insurance, etc. They gave me a check in my name. I ordered the bumper from Sunset. Had my highend body shop paint it. Let it sit for a few weeks and then had a clear bra put on it before installing.

Took 45 min. for old bumper off - new on with some help from a buddy. Had a few bucks left over so all good considering the clear bra job was "on the house".

Bumpers are stupid easy to match and swap. Only issue was it showed up on Auto Check (another version of Carfax) as an accident. But not on Carfax...thats how jacked up those services are.

When I traded up to the PDK I gave the Porsche dealer full disclosure with before pics but they didn't seem to give a rats a$$ and in my opinion didn't ding me for it on trade in value.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

what are you worried about? its just the rear bumper!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you love the car so much why are you worried about diminished value. Are you already planning on getting rid of it. I plan to stay with mine for life.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 AM
smokestack20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be assured there's a collective MOAN from the entire Forum when we see damage to your car.

Its something we all fear. I also fear if the accident is caused by an obvious bonehead move by another driver.... my mouth might write checks my body can't cash. Result: Me & the Porsche in the repair shop!

Aggravation yes, but it looks like an easy fix. Good Luck with the repair
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Mike.

Do you think in this case it would just require a new bumper and new paint? vs. refinishing.
Plastic bumpers can be amazing. A few years ago my wife came home in tears because the rear bumper of her SLK 320 had been bashed. It was dented pretty badly in several places although the paint was basically ok. I spent about 45 minutes working the bumper and polishing it out. You literally could not see that anything had happened.

Yours appears to be scratched in the pic and IMO they should repaint the whole bumper, not just do a blend. But they might be able to save the bumper itself if it's not cracked. Whether they are able to do that or you need a new one, either way, it will look like new again. No worries and good luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
If you love the car so much why are you worried about diminished value. Are you already planning on getting rid of it. I plan to stay with mine for life.
Me too!!!

Tom

Quick Reply: Today I cried (pic inside)