Sponsored by:

Rear ended by a pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts
Default Rear ended by a pickup

The tall, jacked up variety. Sat at a red light and this yahoo tagged me. The bottom of his bumper crushed the deck lid and a tow hook took care of the rest. Could have been a fairly painless affair if he had aimed a few inches further left. Instead, the quarter panel has damage too. He did have good insurance though.

I'm not worried about the deck lid panels but I welcome opinions on how best to take care of the QP. Obviously I want the car restored as closely as possible to its original condition but I also want a minimum of paint work.
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That's terrible. I feel your pain. Good luck with everything
Old 04-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Whosurdaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man I'm sorry. Grey is a tough to match well so the body shop will want to paint broad margins. Not much you can do but use the shop recommended by your dealer. They wouldnt be too interested in jeopardizing their referral source, so maybe they'll pay attention.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

If they have to spray your quarter panel (had this done on my seal grey 996), they will typically spray the whole thing, all the way around to the A pillar up front. You can have them just try to blend it, but as mentioned above, it's difficult to match the metallic without showing.

I recommend you have them do 3 or 4 spray outs and then go in and look at each spray out mix against your car and pick the one you think is the closest, in terms of color cast and metallic level. That's what I did with mine and came away pleased. Any quality shop will do this for you and let you come in and work with them so that they are assured you are satisfied.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:02 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by X51
If they have to spray your quarter panel (had this done on my seal grey 996), they will typically spray the whole thing, all the way around to the A pillar up front. You can have them just try to blend it, but as mentioned above, it's difficult to match the metallic without showing.

I recommend you have them do 3 or 4 spray outs and then go in and look at each spray out mix against your car and pick the one you think is the closest, in terms of color cast and metallic level. That's what I did with mine and came away pleased. Any quality shop will do this for you and let you come in and work with them so that they are assured you are satisfied.
Good advice. Thanks. Did you get into any diminished value discussions with your 996 damage? If my service manager knows what he's talking about my car can never be CPO'd by a Porsche dealer since they're not allowed to CPO cars with collision repairs to any side panels. Hood, decklid, rear and front bumper.......no problem but a QP definitely would be if he's right.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was checking out your avatar yesterday and was thinking the rear of your looked so awesome with the red reflector going across. Old school meets new.

Sometimes I feel people pull up closer to me at red lights, just to make a point. Whatever that "point" might be...
Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Sandwedge, my qp paint job was due to my rear wiper arm snapping down the side of my car after I washed it, so it was 'operator error'. So, I didn't have any diminished value discussions, but you should, as I understand the CPO process as you stated it.

Btw, if anyone has a rear wiper arm, I HIGHLY suggest you secure the wiper blade assembly to the arm with a plastic zip tie and cut off the excess length so that my mistake doesn't happen to you.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 AM
deijmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by sandwedge
If my service manager knows what he's talking about my car can never be CPO'd by a Porsche dealer since they're not allowed to CPO cars with collision repairs to any side...
Wrong, I have more than one instance where CPO cars had accidents front, back and sides and they passed....
Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Oh man - I feel your pain. FFS. Good luck with the repair. Make sure to post pics when it's done.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deijmaster
Wrong, I have more than one instance where CPO cars had accidents front, back and sides and they passed....
X51 said he understood the CPO rules the same way I was told. Maybe Canadian dealerships have different guidelines or are you referring to US cars?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I hope you sort it out satisfactorily. In traffic and at stops I worry about traffic behind me constantly. People are distracted, or worse...
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ADias
I hope you sort it out satisfactorily. In traffic and at stops I worry about traffic behind me constantly. People are distracted, or worse...
All sorts of different distractions these days. Riding my road bike or driving my car I worry about people diddling with their phone.....texting or dialing. The guy who hit me brought a new excuse though. He said he couldn't see my car because it sits so low and he's almost 6' above the ground with a long hood in front of him. I don't believe that's the case but even if it was, he was approaching from behind with plenty of visibility.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:56 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
All sorts of different distractions these days. Riding my road bike or driving my car I worry about people diddling with their phone.....texting or dialing. The guy who hit me brought a new excuse though. He said he couldn't see my car because it sits so low and he's almost 6' above the ground with a long hood in front of him. I don't believe that's the case but even if it was, he was approaching from behind with plenty of visibility.
Stupid excuse. Of course he saw you and if he didn't he has no excuse. And when up close he didn't care to keep a reasonable distance. I cringe when I see cars behind me at stops inching forward - I know that a crash is just inches away if they slip their foot from the brake pedal on their crawling auto trannies. Those are not accidents... they are avoidable reckless drivers' errors.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

I've been posting on Porsche boards for years and I can't remember the last time when it was a Porsche driver who caused an accident. Our cars seem to attract careless drivers.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86
Sometimes I feel people pull up closer to me at red lights, just to make a point. Whatever that "point" might be...
Idiot truck drivers seem to make a habit of this...misplaced macho energy.

Quick Reply: Rear ended by a pickup