Sponsored by:

Bumper plugs - or front plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bumper plugs - or front plate?

My new-to-me 997 (pictures later) came from a state with front license plates, and so it had the bracket installed. Unfortunately, they punched a couple of extra holes through the bumper, so I have four total. I will try to polish out the marks and fading from the bracket this weekend, and if it looks OK I was thinking about getting some bumper plugs to fill the holes. But I'm afraid it may look a bit silly, what with four of them and two up rather high.

I apologize for the lousy phone cam pic.

The car has only 14K on it and all the paint is original, so I don't feel like getting the holes filled and the bumper repainted at this point.

Should I just put the front plate bracket back on and get some kind of Porsche crest plate to cover it all up, or go with the plugs?

Opinions, please?

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by MJBird993; 01-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's painful to see.
I'd go with a front plate bracket, nice porsche plate frame and a plate.
Looks like whoever drilled those holes butchered it so plugs would still show some indentations and i think it may look sloppy.

i had plates before i changed my front bumper and you learn to live with and you're not all paranoid every time a cop drives by. having said that, now i am plateless and love it.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 4 plugs on my front, having the same butcher job of front plate installation.
The plugs are less obtrusive than a plate, and now only bug me when I wash it.
Kind of ironic that you'll have to drill out those holes to accept the plugs....
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

ouch - plugs
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Same issue here. I'm torn between plugs or staying with the four holes. Plugs would seem to be clustered and noticeable.

Going with holes for now. Hopefully you don't have deep scratches by the plate area.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I already ordered plugs (just got my car this week), you have to drill them out cleaner to install regardless. I live in a state that needs front, but have not had them on my Shelby for 5 years and only got pulled over once. Even that time he said he just wanted to check out my car and let me go. I guess it depends how strict they are, if your in a state that does not require them I would go plugs for sure.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM
LENELSA
Advanced

I would order a Euro plate that matches your state plate and put it on with heavy duty velcro tape.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

That's a shame, they really butchered that. If it were 2 holes, plugs no question, but with 4 holes and the way they are spaced, I wouldn't be happy with 4 plugs or a plate and it would bug me every time I looked at it. Those top holes in particular appear to be on the curve of the bumper and I suspect plugs won't sit completely flush in them.

Just my $.02, but reconsider filling and repaint. With the low miles on your paint job, a proper repaint of the bumper shell by a good shop will be indistinguishable from the rest of your car and the front will look pristine again.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Should I just put the front plate bracket back on and get some kind of Porsche crest plate to cover it all up, or go with the plugs?

Opinions, please?

Thanks,
Michael
If it were me and I was in a state that only had rear plates mandated, I'd see about getting a euro (wide form factor) OEM plate holder, that should hopefully cover those holes.

I'd then order one of the custom German style EU plates with a cool custom spelling on it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I unfortunately had the same issue with my car and put 4 bumper plugs. When you drill for the plugs just use a razor blade to clean out any platic so they are flush. I don't like them but it's better than 4 holes. I worry that atlas grey would be a nightmare to match
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
JFERR
Intermediate

get the plugs
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

You all have me worried, I did not even pull my front plate off yet to see what is under it, I hope it does not have 4 holes.

I am doing it first thing when i get home.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Rocco07
Racer

The two wider spaced holes are how the bracket is mounted. The closer holes are from the actual locations of the plate holes used to mount the plate to the bracket. If you have the brakcet, you will have the wider spaced holes. When people use screws that are too long to mount the plate to the bracket, the screws go through the bracket and into the bumper. Four holes can be avoided if the installer is paying attention. Unfortunately, more often than not, it's not the case.
NOT ever having a plate was actually one of my requirements for my car. Since I live in a state that requires them, my dealer had a difficult time sourcing a car. Those holes were a dealbreaker for me.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmm. Good comments, thanks guys and gals. I live in NC, which does not require a front plate, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

I knew that there would be holes, but didn't know it would be this bad when I bought the car. Still, it wouldn't have kept me from buying it, quite frankly.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Hmmm. Good comments, thanks guys and gals. I live in NC, which does not require a front plate, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

I knew that there would be holes, but didn't know it would be this bad when I bought the car. Still, it wouldn't have kept me from buying it, quite frankly.
I just looked at mine

I have the same 4 holes, I did not think to look before I ordered the plugs. Now I am not sure I am going to use the plugs, I may just buy a Nice Porsche front plate until I can get a body shop to fix them.

Now I have to decide if I should go forward with Clear Bra or not.

Quick Reply: Bumper plugs - or front plate?