Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SimRaceway Perf Driving School - Sonoma. Any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts
Default SimRaceway Perf Driving School - Sonoma. Any opinions?

Good morning everyone.

For Christmas this yr, my wife got me a certificate for the Stage 1 performance driving school by Simraceway. I believe it takes place at the Infineon raceway in Sonoma.

It's a full day affair with classroom instruction and time on the track.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular program? I was absolutely ecstatic when I found out yesterday morning, but then I learned it was $795 and so I want to make sure it's worth it -- It appears we have 30 days in which to get a refund if needed.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:43 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
I was absolutely ecstatic when I found out yesterday morning, but then I learned it was $795 and so I want to make sure it's worth it
Sounds expensive and I'd also like to see feedback from others. The HookedOnDriving.com HPDE at Sonoma is $350 and the date is Feb 22. I hope to be there. dave
Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Simraceway used to be known as the Jim Russell driving school and is located at Sonoma Raceway (previously Infineon). Russell had a 3 day Techniques of Racing school which I took there a few years ago in open wheel formula cars. Instructors, almost all of whom had professional experience, were excellent, there was lots of track time, plenty of free lapping, and no passing restrictions. Although expensive, the operation was first class and the course was well worth the money for me.

That said, a quick look at their web site shows that their open wheel courses currently start at $3995. They have a one day course driving Mitsubishi Lancer Evos for $996 and a one day drive-your-own-car course for $695. At $795 maybe your wife got a deal on the Mitsubishi course, but you might want to check their website to make sure just what course you've been signed up for and what car you'll be driving if you don't know already. Driving schools aren't cheap, but I'm sure it would be a fun experience for you (Sonoma Raceway is a great track) in any event.

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/home

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-26-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I too took the Jim Russell 3-day school a number of years ago - first class operation.

Sonoma is a great track with excellent facilities, hard to go wrong with an event there. However as mentioned an HOD event is about half the cost and they put on very well-organized, safe events with world class instructors. And just because I'm one of their instructors in no way makes me biased
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks guys.

Mike: I double-checked, and it's actually $695 as you state and not $795. Got my numbers wrong

And yes, this looks like the Stage 1 performance class where I take my own car to the track.

-a.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Ok, portside, that makes things a little clearer. I think you might get more personal attention and instruction at the Russell/Simraceway course. If it's like the course I took, class size will likely be about a dozen cars with 3 or 4 instructors versus the much higher turnout at an HPDE. (You may want to confirm class size and instructor/student ratio with them to be sure). Whether that's worth the extra $350 is up to you. Nice of your wife to give you that gift in any event. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

And since you're in our neck of the woods: Why don't you join your fellow Golden-Gate PCA (PCA-GGR) members in the 2013 DE series after you caught the bug? Much more reasonable priced (I understand that one was a gift, but after your lessons you want to come back for more ;-), and we have truly AWESOME instructors and you'll meet a great and very friendly crowd of fellow P-car owners
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ok, portside, that makes things a little clearer. I think you might get more personal attention and instruction at the Russell/Simraceway course. If it's like the course I took, class size will likely be about a dozen cars with 3 or 4 instructors versus the much higher turnout at an HPDE. (You may want to confirm class size and instructor/student ratio with them to be sure). Whether that's worth the extra $350 is up to you. Nice of your wife to give you that gift in any event. Good luck with your decision.
For a first timer at an HOD event, it's 1:1 instructor to student. I don't know about the Simraceway course but if it's 12 students with 3-4 instructors, I'd stay away from that. I expect an instructor in the right seat 100% of the time for a beginner.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have specifics about that school, but I think you'll love it and Infineon is fantastic course.
I took the 3 day racing school through Skip Barber at Laguna Seca and it was simply amazing.
Cheers!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by PJorgen
For a first timer at an HOD event, it's 1:1 instructor to student. I don't know about the Simraceway course but if it's 12 students with 3-4 instructors, I'd stay away from that. I expect an instructor in the right seat 100% of the time for a beginner.
My experience at the Russell school was in a single seater; obviously no instructor could ride along. I recall 4 instructors in our group of 10 and made an educated guess as to the student/instructor ratio for a drive your own class. That's why I suggested the OP call and find out the facts.

In any event, having instructed myself at our PCA autocross events, we also have someone with each beginner. Not all "instructors" are created equal, however. No question there are exceptions, but I'd bet the average instructor at HOD and autocross events is not the same caliber as those at a first rate professional driving school. Again, whether that's worth twice the price is an open question only the OP can answer for himself.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 AM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another +1 for the Jim Russell school. Did the Evo experience and it was fantastic. The instructors were excellent.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 AM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My experience at the Russell school was in a single seater; obviously no instructor could ride along. I recall 4 instructors in our group of 10 and made an educated guess as to the student/instructor ratio for a drive your own class. That's why I suggested the OP call and find out the facts.

In any event, having instructed myself at our PCA autocross events, we also have someone with each beginner. Not all "instructors" are created equal, however. No question there are exceptions, but I'd bet the average instructor at HOD and autocross events is not the same caliber as those at a first rate professional driving school. Again, whether that's worth twice the price is an open question only the OP can answer for himself.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Jim Russell/Skip Barber instructors are usually pro drivers trying to earn some extra money. Clearly they're better drivers than I am. The question becomes - are they better at instructing?

I've run a few instructor clinics and observed that the fastest drivers aren't always the best instructors.

However, the OP will have a great time at Sonoma regardless of what school he goes to. What he'll learn in one track event will make him a better driver than 99.9% of the clowns on the road anyway!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the GGR DE and Auto-X.
Seat time is important and that's an excellent crowd plus good instructors.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
sampatrick
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to know best and cheap driving schools in London. My cousins are their she want to join driving classes. Also i need full details. Please share your personal test reviews.

Contact us for Driving lessons Birmingham | Driving Instructor course.

Quick Reply: SimRaceway Perf Driving School - Sonoma. Any opinions?