First mods for my 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
dealy663
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mods for my 997.1

Hi

Bonus time is next month and I'm trying to figure out what I want to go for. Currently I'm thinking of getting the Fister D mod done. And upgrading the springs to Eibachs to clear out that gap.

I'm a pretty hands on guy and do most everything myself. I know I can handle the muffler swap w/no sweat. So far I haven't found any DIYs on how to swap out the springs. I don't know what special tools I might need.

I've swapped out springs and shocks on other cars before. I think the trickiest thing I encountered was needing a ball joint separator. However I'm not sure if one is required for this job on my '96 997 C2 (stock, psm only). Also is there any special spring compressor required, or will a standard one I rent from the autoparts store be adequate?

Any pointers to other threads or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Derek
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dealy663
And upgrading the springs to Eibachs to clear out that gap.
Looks or performance? If that latter, what improvements do you expect? dave
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
dealy663
Intermediate

The modest reduction in height will improve looks more than performance. However I don't really expect any tremendous boost in cornering from a ~0.5" drop, by the same token I don't expect it to decrease my cornering ability either. Sounds like a win/win to me.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good moves on both - lowering springs are not expensive and definitely gid rid of the 4x look. I had mine installed, but should be a DIY. Good luck, and send b & a pics.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Don't forget to have a proper alignment after doing the springs. I the that's why most people just opt to have a shop do the install.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe have a shop compress/preload the spring for you. That's the biggest potential safety issue with this DIY. lMK if you do a write up and I'll post it on the DIY sticky.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

The springs should be an easy DIY upgrade but just make sure you put all the parts back in the same order. There are some bearings that folks seem to forget or put in improperly that cause strange creaking and rattle noises.

This is what I think you should do:

<$2,500 Total DIY

1) B&W Short Shifter (Shifting Improvement) $250
2) Door Sills (Replace if all scratched up) $150
3) Lowering springs $350
4) Motor Mounts (Improves Shifting) $300
5) Fister D Mufflers (Great sound) $550 with Ceramic & Shipping
6) Third Radiator $300 with Gallon of Porsche Fluid

More Expensive DIY Other Upgrades:
(Other than the wheels and brake Rotors....sell your car and get a GTS IMHO)

1) Lightweight Brake Rotors $2000
2) Lightweight Wheels Forged $3000-8000
3) IPD $800
4) Cats $1000
5) Tune $1000
6) Full Exhaust $4000-5000 (Light Weight)
7) Headers $1000
8) Aero Kit
Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
phily911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same bug, this is what I currently have either on order or just arrived:

Fabspeed Maxflo Exhaust with Dual Tips - arrived
H&R Lowering Springs - arrived
OZ Superleggera III 19x8 and 19x11 - still waiting, been waiting for over a month now!

Shortly after:
LED taillights
GT3 rear bumper
B&W Short Shifter

Then I need a break..
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

It will look amazing for sure...

Didn't Tire Rack have the wheels in stock? Post some pictures when you're done.

Originally Posted by phily911
I have the same bug, this is what I currently have either on order or just arrived:

OZ Superleggera III 19x8 and 19x11 - still waiting, been waiting for over a month now!

Shortly after:
LED taillights
GT3 rear bumper
B&W Short Shifter

Then I need a break..
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM
phily911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Tire Rack said they did when i ordered. I then got an estimated ship date of two weeks then got one saying mid December. Still waiting...

I think I am going to lower it next week and install the exhaust myself later this week. I will post up some pics..
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by dealy663
Hi

Bonus time is next month and I'm trying to figure out what I want to go for. Currently I'm thinking of getting the Fister D mod done. And upgrading the springs to Eibachs to clear out that gap.

I'm a pretty hands on guy and do most everything myself. I know I can handle the muffler swap w/no sweat. So far I haven't found any DIYs on how to swap out the springs. I don't know what special tools I might need.

I've swapped out springs and shocks on other cars before. I think the trickiest thing I encountered was needing a ball joint separator. However I'm not sure if one is required for this job on my '96 997 C2 (stock, psm only). Also is there any special spring compressor required, or will a standard one I rent from the autoparts store be adequate?

Any pointers to other threads or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Derek
Get a set of H&R springs if you want to clear that wheel/fender gap. Get the Eibachs if you only want to clear it partially. About a half inch less drop as I recall it. May not sound like much but it's very noticeable, especially when you're on a mission with a certain result in mind.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
2L8IWON
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phily911

Shortly after:
LED taillights
GT3 rear bumper
B&W Short Shifter

Then I need a break..
Two questions: Where did you get the GT3 bumper and will the GT3 center exhaust fit?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Get a set of H&R springs if you want to clear that wheel/fender gap. Get the Eibachs if you only want to clear it partially. About a half inch less drop as I recall it. May not sound like much but it's very noticeable, especially when you're on a mission with a certain result in mind.
I just did the Eibach's. they were just right for me. They tightened up the wheel clearance just right, and I like the uniform spacing around the tires now.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
I just did the Eibach's. they were just right for me. They tightened up the wheel clearance just right, and I like the uniform spacing around the tires now.
All about preference. Your car looks great and you're happy with it. That's all that matters. Just wanted to point out to the OP that there's about a 1/2" difference in drop between the Eibachs and the HRE's. Either one is a vast improvement over the stock stance as I see it.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
All about preference. Your car looks great and you're happy with it. That's all that matters. Just wanted to point out to the OP that there's about a 1/2" difference in drop between the Eibachs and the HRE's. Either one is a vast improvement over the stock stance as I see it.
Thanks SW... I get what you're saying, and I meant no judgement. I was only tossing in my $.02

I think that the HRE's create a terrific look, but I didn't want to risk my under carriage/front lip with all of the dips I have to traverse on a daily basis.

On the older 911's, they use the term 'ROW', (Rest of World), when referring to the ride height of the US models as compared to the Euro stance.

Quick Reply: First mods for my 997.1