Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Shift Cable Diagnostics and Replacement

 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
  #16  
997_rich
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
997_rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 912
Default

Great thread. I had a little trouble shifting into 1st at times. I followed the instructions just to re-adjust what i have. It really helped!
997_rich is offline  
Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 PM
  #17  
honghong322
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 29
Default

Which cable is prone to breaking? The gate cable? (left right) or the selector?
honghong322 is offline  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 PM
  #18  
jkw911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jkw911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,234
Default

Thanks for sharing.
jkw911 is offline  
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM
  #19  
fatfat
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Default

hello, 2nd owner 2006 997 with < 85,000 KM. Sunday today drive; pulled over on curb planning to make U turn on 2 lane roadway. stuck in first with shifter up and down no side-way play. i drove the car 50km home in first gear. the temp did not go pass 175. only 2 citizen drivers got horny with me. one copper asked me if i needed help and the other looked away like he saw nothing. looks like i be doing this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH to INSOMIC.
fatfat is offline  
Old 04-13-2014, 04:12 PM
  #20  
USMC_DS1
Super User
 
USMC_DS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,024
Default

Originally Posted by fatfat View Post
hello, 2nd owner 2006 997 with < 85,000 KM. Sunday today drive; pulled over on curb planning to make U turn on 2 lane roadway. stuck in first with shifter up and down no side-way play. i drove the car 50km home in first gear. the temp did not go pass 175. only 2 citizen drivers got horny with me. one copper asked me if i needed help and the other looked away like he saw nothing. looks like i be doing this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH to INSOMIC.
There's a black plastic cone shaped tab holding #7 in place (see diagram below). Check to see if that tab has popped out... it's only held in place by tension. You may not have a snapped cable. FWIW, I have 64K+ miles or 103km on the original cables.
Name:  997-ShiftCable00.jpg
Views: 12469
Size:  53.8 KB
USMC_DS1 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 PM
  #21  
fatfat
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Default

hey USMC, yes I did that. btw. I played with the blue collar cable/drivers side and I heard noise from engine bay area underneath behind the rear seats, however nothing when I did the same to the passenger side black collar cable. next step be to jack up vehicle for inspection. looks like a good time to change the tranny fluid too. thank you all for your kind assistance. fatfat.
fatfat is offline  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 PM
  #22  
fatfat
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
Default

Back on the road. my cable broke at 84,900km EXACTLY where the OPs cable did as in picture posted. interesting to note the shifter has a better feel to it now. iam guessing my waterpump is next.....................AGAIN, thank you all!
fatfat is offline  
Old 10-17-2015, 10:12 PM
  #23  
remik
User
 
remik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 9
Default

Mine just went at around 42,700 miles while in 2nd gear on 2008 997. When there's a class action lawsuit, let me know. That fail was so freaking dangerous.

remik is offline  
Old 10-17-2015, 11:00 PM
  #24  
DC911S
Super User
 
DC911S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,262
Default

I had Numeric cables installed before the OEM ones broke.
DC911S is offline  
Old 10-18-2015, 01:52 PM
  #25  
Lvt19672
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 915
Default

Originally Posted by remik View Post
Mine just went at around 42,700 miles while in 2nd gear on 2008 997. When there's a class action lawsuit, let me know. That fail was so freaking dangerous.

This happening is so random, thank god for AAA.
Lvt19672 is offline  
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 PM
  #26  
Conan Dombroski
User
 
Conan Dombroski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 97
Default

Mine just broke. Stuck in 3rd. This is a great write up and I appreciate the work put into it. Ordering my shift cables as soon as I'm done typing this.
Conan Dombroski is offline  
Old 08-23-2016, 10:11 AM
  #27  
porscheaddicted
User
 
porscheaddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 40
Default

Hi, I have a quick and easy one:


In order to minimize play...



This is from a 5 speed Cayman. Will it be just plug & play? (unscrew and screw rod ends I mean)

Cheers!
porscheaddicted is offline  
Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 AM
  #28  
DC911S
Super User
 
DC911S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,262
Default

Get the Numeric cables, and never worry again.
DC911S is offline  
Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM
  #29  
semicycler
User
 
semicycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,506
Default

The part you are showing is #17 in this 987.1 diagram. Not sure if they will fit in a 997 in a different location. For the 997 the end that attaches to the transmission is completely different. But parts #10 and #11 are the same for a 996/997 and 986/987. So if you think your play is at the cable ends just use the correct parts.

If you want to tighten up the play in the OEM shifter look at this thread from Function First instead: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...our-997-a.html

Or replace the entire shifter with one from Numeric or the like: http://numericracing.com/#!/Competit...egory=12247277

And while in there consider replacing the entire cables with the Porsche Motorosports Cup car version, or with an aftermarket one from Numeric: http://numericracing.com/#!/Performa...egory=12247277

semicycler is online now  
Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 AM
  #30  
porscheaddicted
User
 
porscheaddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by semicycler View Post
The part you are showing is #17 in this 987.1 diagram. Not sure if they will fit in a 997 in a different location. For the 997 the end that attaches to the transmission is completely different. But parts #10 and #11 are the same for a 996/997 and 986/987. So if you think your play is at the cable ends just use the correct parts.

If you want to tighten up the play in the OEM shifter look at this thread from Function First instead: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...our-997-a.html

Or replace the entire shifter with one from Numeric or the like: http://numericracing.com/#!/Competit...egory=12247277

And while in there consider replacing the entire cables with the Porsche Motorosports Cup car version, or with an aftermarket one from Numeric: http://numericracing.com/#!/Performa...egory=12247277


Thanks! But my car is not a 997 but a 987C
porscheaddicted is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Shift Cable Diagnostics and Replacement


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: