Sponsored by:

DIY Shift Cable Diagnostics and Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:26 PM
Xios
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mnwild
You ever get an answer to this? Changed the transmission mount on my 03' GT2 and noticed one of the shft cable ends was very loose, could move it back and forth while connected very easily and shifting into 1st often requires double-cluch action and 2nd is starting to miss. Both issues may be unrelated but seeing the loose cable end, I want to replace at minimum.

http://www.function-first.com/produc...ter-cable-ends
Old 03-23-2020, 05:15 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mnwild
You ever get an answer to this? Changed the transmission mount on my 03' GT2 and noticed one of the shft cable ends was very loose, could move it back and forth while connected very easily and shifting into 1st often requires double-cluch action and 2nd is starting to miss. Both issues may be unrelated but seeing the loose cable end, I want to replace at minimum.
The stock cable ends for the main cables (from the shift lever mechanism to the transmission) are molded onto the cable directly. They are not threaded like what you see on that picture from the 987 "dogbone" link.
If you are experiencing excess play from the stock cable ends, and/or worried that they will pop off due to age, you can replace the internals with the tightly toleranced aluminum/Delrin Shifter Cable Ends from FFP. Install is easy - it can be done from under the car pretty quickly.

Please reach out with any questions - thanks and stay safe!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:54 AM
mnwild
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks. Compatibility on site doesn't list 996, will this work with 996?
Old 03-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

At the moment, these are only available for the 997 and 987 models.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Ytse Frobozz
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks!

I made an account just to say that this DIY saved the day for me! My cable broke in exactly the same spot, and I also had to drive home with just 3rd gear. I followed this DIY, and I am now once again selecting gears using the shift lever of my motorvehicle! Thank god for the internet. Everything was pretty easy *except* pushing the new grommet/gasket thing in from under the car. That part sucked!
Old 12-23-2020, 02:34 AM
Lawrencejuliano
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank god for this DIY, this and the Numeric guide got me through the job. Lost all gears a couple of weeks back in my ‘06 997 S, figured that I had snapped a cable so I ordered some Numerics rather than go back to the OEM. Stupidly I didn’t bother to remove the under trays until yesterday and once I did I realised that it hadn’t snapped, but just popped off the linkage. Regardless, with the new cables in hand I decided to do the swap and never have to worry again.

Much easier job than I thought it was going to be, until I got to the point of reinstalling that bloody rubber bushing. Words cannot describe the frustration. On a side note, thank god for “urdreamgarage” in LA, renting a lift was an absolute life saver, I don’t think I could have done this on jack stands.

Overall very happy with the upgrade, the mechanical feeling is a huge improvement from the OEM mush. I also used the silicon tubes and the noise increase is minimal, though some “chatter” on throttle lift off is noticeable.

EDIT: After getting home and reinstalling my center tunnel, there is absolutely no increase in cabin noise from these cables, the silicon tubing obviously did the trick.

Last edited by Lawrencejuliano; 12-23-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:29 AM
B453D
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@Insomnic , the images that aid your writeup are not loading. Any chance you can resolve? I need to replace my shift cables and it appears this is the best DIY.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:30 PM
Tsmith5150
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Porsche shift cables

Originally Posted by B453D
@Insomnic , the images that aid your writeup are not loading. Any chance you can resolve? I need to replace my shift cables and it appears this is the best DIY.

Thank you in advance.
whats your issue?
i am not sure i can help but i did replace my entire shift system with the numeric one
Old 01-27-2024, 04:27 PM
B453D
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tsmith5150
whats your issue?
i am not sure i can help but i did replace my entire shift system with the numeric one
@Tsmith5150 I haven't started the process; I am researching to gauge if it is within my skillset. The images will help me to fully understand the scope of this DIY.

Thank you for your willingness to lend direction / advice.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:58 PM
Tsmith5150
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B453D
@Tsmith5150 I haven't started the process; I am researching to gauge if it is within my skillset. The images will help me to fully understand the scope of this DIY.

Thank you for your willingness to lend direction / advice.
its not too bad. They may have you tube videos. I am pretty good DYI guy but no master mechanic. The new Numeric shifter is made strong and well designed. It will be a tat bit more like a riffle bolt shifting. Kind of cool. Not soft like a honda. The toughest part was fishing the cables under the console out under the car to the gear box. That was a pain. Connecting is the cable to the shifter and the gear box is fairly simple. These cables are strong and will probably never break. Its a thicker gauge. Check out you tube and see if there is a video. I am sure they are.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:41 PM
B453D
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tsmith5150
its not too bad. They may have you tube videos. I am pretty good DYI guy but no master mechanic. The new Numeric shifter is made strong and well designed. It will be a tat bit more like a riffle bolt shifting. Kind of cool. Not soft like a honda. The toughest part was fishing the cables under the console out under the car to the gear box. That was a pain. Connecting is the cable to the shifter and the gear box is fairly simple. These cables are strong and will probably never break. Its a thicker gauge. Check out you tube and see if there is a video. I am sure they are.
Yes sir, I searched. There are DIY videos for Boxsters and Caymans, but none (that I can find) for the 911. Maybe I an overthinking this?
Old 01-28-2024, 09:49 PM
B453D
Advanced

@Tsmith5150 The central rubber grommet/bung procedure is concerning as well.

Quick Reply: DIY Shift Cable Diagnostics and Replacement