Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying advice: 2009 Carrera 4S Cab, but theft title

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM
olouie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice: 2009 Carrera 4S Cab, but theft title

Hey guys, looking to upgrade cars and found a nice 2009 Carrera 4S Cab (http://santabarbara.porschedealer.co...76178/info.php), BUT it has a theft reported and an extensive repair list from the theft (repairs listed in the attachment).

The dealer seems honest about it and provided the repair list and the car is CPO, but still unsure about it since most of the damage looks to be from bottoming the car out or something (botton damage).

Any tips appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
20121113122258185.pdf (294.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

You should be able to find a similar car without the theft story.

Walk away. This is the easiest thing to do in this case.

You have say 1 hour to evaluate the car, with a test ride then a test ride followed by a used car check out then a PPI.

You now have to worry about what if any damage was done that has not or will not make itself known over time. Your evaluate the car task just got a whole lot more complicated and with an increase in risk to you should you miss something.

Now you might think the CPO warranty provides some cushion but there is a risk that if say the tranny blows up this is attributed to the theft damage that was not found/fixed.

Should this be covered as part of the CPO? You might think so the dealer might let you think so (and believe it too) and yet when you go to file a claim it is denied.

Thus you need something chiseled in stone that anything not arising from abuse on your part is covered. You then are force into the position of having to write a custom CPO agreement with the dealer agreeing to all conditions and by proxy PCNA/Porsche agreeing. Or the dealer has to give you something that says in the event PCNA/Porsche balk that it will step up and cover whatever. I might be wrong but good luck with that.

Really, the best course of action is to just walk away.

One general rule of used car buying is to buy the best car you can find and afford. While this car may be priced less than comparable cars without the theft history I can't believe you could not find a good car albeit with maybe more miles.

Remember when shopping used cars: There is always another car.

But if you like to gamble roll the dice and buy the car.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the price is right, just buy it and drive it like YOU stole it from the thief who stole it.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
olouie

I do love to gamble, but I think you are right. Too many unknowns to make it not worth it. Back to my search for a nice Silver Carrera S Cab. The chase is 50% of the fun.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

The price is out of line given the documented history.

$60K with a rider to the CPO indicating that the car was a stolen recovery and experienced engine and electrical system damage. Should a engine, transmission or electrical issue arise during the CPO coverage it will be presumed as related to the theft and will be covered without question, absent significant evidence of abuse by the new owner - e.g.., the DME report shows it was seriously over-reved/abused within the time the new owner has had the car. I just figure you can't have a free get-out-of-jail card to go out and just abuse the engine knowing you got a free one coming regardless
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't buy.
Don't buy.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a very compelling reason not to buy it, is someday you'll be selling it, and it both kills the value, and makes it substantially more difficult to sell. Assuming that the title, after the transfer, still notes the theft, and/or you disclose it to a potential buyer.

I wouldn't buy a rental car, much less a car very apparently, from the damage, driven as if it was stolen. Sounded to me like the car was airborne, relative to the "bottomed out" description.

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM
olouie

Interesting thing is that only autocheck notes it was theft recovered. Carfax has nothing on that... Makes me wonder what else carfax misses.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts
Default NICB VIn Checker

Give this a try https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud...check/vincheck

We'll be curious as to what comes back.

Here are other sources of checkers. http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis...lehistory.html

For what it's worth, we just finished a 5-6 month search for our dream car. A friend who owns a Porsche advised me to be very very patient in my search and I'd eventually find "it" and at the right price. he was 100% correct. I wish you luck!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM
1719matt
Intermediate

I personally won't buy a car with a "story". As far as stories go, this is a big one.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

SKIP, unless it's significantly cheaper than a non-theft title!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Although I know the dealership I wouldn't give it a moment of my time. There are plenty more out there. After all, is it really that hard to find another SILVER Carrera with BLACK interior?? Gees....
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by olouie
I do love to gamble, but I think you are right. Too many unknowns to make it not worth it. Back to my search for a nice Silver Carrera S Cab. The chase is 50% of the fun.
Probably a good choice. If the car was stolen without a key, I'd love to know how it was done. With all the theft deterrent systems built in it has to take some special talent to pull it off.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM
olouie

Originally Posted by CAVU
Give this a try https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud...check/vincheck

We'll be curious as to what comes back.

Here are other sources of checkers. http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis...lehistory.html

For what it's worth, we just finished a 5-6 month search for our dream car. A friend who owns a Porsche advised me to be very very patient in my search and I'd eventually find "it" and at the right price. he was 100% correct. I wish you luck!
Looks like no records / reports on the VIN at the NICB.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Toooooo many mysteries!

Lot's of choices out there and with winter coming, in many markets, the sales volume drops and the dealers might be more motivated to strike a better price on "the one".

Quick Reply: Buying advice: 2009 Carrera 4S Cab, but theft title