Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires or beater

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM
ph997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently in GA (not far from Jeffrec) and am moving to Chicago. While my GTS is my daily driver now and I know it could do a lot with winter tires, I opted to get a used Audi Quattro for the months of dealing with other drivers. This will prolong the life of my P-car and allow more DEs in the future. In the end it is your call, but if you are worried about, get the beater and don't look back.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I drove it yesterday in the wet flurries and drove it today but it was dry in philly. I plan to drive it as long as its not snowing or planning to snow. Just think like some do that for snow days maybe I should get a beater. Just worried about some jack wagon sliding into me.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with PTParks, get a beater as the snow will bring out the worst in driver skill around you and there are just too many intangibles
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other option , costing a whole lot less than wheels or a beater, is to rent a car for those snowy days, which in this area is not a frequent occurrence.
Last year Philly had only one snow that required plowing.
The year before, we had 4 or 5. A really bad year might be 6 or 7.
Worse case you rent for 12 or so days @ 35 or 40 a day if weather requires and still be way ahead. Even cabs would be cheaper.
Me..I have a fairly modded 04 VW R32 with winter and summer wheels. I enjoy driving that car almost as much as the Porsche no matter the season.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I think a lot of this depends upon where you live. If you live in a metropolitan area with much traffic then a 4x4 beater is a smarter thing to do. If you live in the country where the roads are windy and sporty, and the traffic is less dense, then there is little more fun than a 2WD 911 with dedicated snow tires. Today's snow tire formulations are incredible. The tire manufacturers have truly been doing their homework. For example, I have snow tires (Michelin Alpins) for my VW rear-drive Vanagon and that thing is virtually invincible in the snow--of nearly any depth. If I toss on cable chains all around the vehicle to go with the 4 snow tires and no depth will stop it. The Carrera is a very fine winter performer, but it ultimately comes down to the other guy. If there are idiots out there with bald tires (remember this economy) and trying to get by going to work despite bad weather and ill-maintained roads (remember the economy) you may wind up either driven off the road or impacted by one of these guys. Canceling your collision insurance during the winter period can help offset the cost of the beater.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, think I will pick up something this weekend. Been thinking Saab as I miss my old car from WAAAAAAY back in the day
Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

2nd set of dedicated winter wheels/tires. Add on the cost of the winter beater's insurance, maintenance, parking, registration/plates, and the general hassle of dealing with another car. These 997s aren't rare cars that need to be babied. They are easily replaced. If the weather is that bad I'll take the train, cab, subway, or rent a Zip car. The cost will be the fraction of the cost of a beater.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
Ok, think I will pick up something this weekend. Been thinking Saab as I miss my old car from WAAAAAAY back in the day
Ya, I really miss my '77 Saab 99EMS - great rally car and held as much stuff as a cave!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
You can't go wrong with a Saab wagon if you can find one, preferably a 5sp. Price should be good.. In the rare times it snows here in the metroplex, I have no qualms about driving in it, just have to watch out for the other idiots..

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Ya, I really miss my '77 Saab 99EMS - great rally car and held as much stuff as a cave!
I'd like to have an old 99 some day. And I'm amazed at what I can put into my 900T when I put the back seat down - I've hauled a lot of stuff in it before when people had said "no way that will fit in that little car.."
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As many others have mentioned it really comes down to personal preference. I recently went from a 911 garage queen to a 997.1S Daily Driver (with winter tires that i'm about to put on), and i can't be happier. Life is too short for me to just drive that 911 on nice days in the summer. I know my 997 will depreciate more, but i'm fine with that. Most days i don't get to truly enjoy the performance of the 997, but the days i get that open on-ramp... well i couldn't be happier.

I have the luxury of working from home on the truly terrible snowy days. And my work office is quick to close with poor weather, so i'm not the snob with the Porsche that can only drive on sunny days.

The hassle of registration, titling, maintenance and all of that is enough to keep me away from separate daily driver.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrec
Assuming that you are looking for an opinion, I'll give you mine. I have lived in Pittsburgh, Columbus, Chicago and other cold cities a good part of my life although I now call Atlanta my home. Given my experience with not only the snow and ice, but the salt and rough roads in the winter, as well as the investment you have in your 911, I would lean toward a winter beater and garage your baby. For what it's worth my DD is a 4Runner and I love it. Something to think about for the winter vehicle as well.
+1.

While it will be difficult, my plan is to save the 997 from the salt and grime of winter. Rather spend my miles on better weather. That said, the porsche is a second car for me.

As someone posted, it will be a great Spring event when rolling her back out.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Both, drive the porsche on nice days in the winter and drive the beater on crappy days. Buy a beater you think is "cool". I have an 80's BMW e30 with blizzaks and weights in the trunk. It's beat so I don't worry about dents etc but it's still something i'm excited about driving.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Beater.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually had a sweet 900Turbo Back in the day and loved it but I am eyeballing wagons of all things. That being said, I will drive the 911 everyday where snow is not in the forecast.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Winter tires or beater