Winter tires or beater

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Winter tires or beater

I live near Philly and yesterday was as close as I want to get to driving my C2 in the snow with summer tires. Grip is definately compromised even just at 40 degrees and wet. The question is do I buy a beater 4 x 4 for a couple of 4-5 thousand or do I get winter wheel/tires which will probably run around just under that same money and allow me to drive my car year round. I also go snowboarding so having a real 4 x 4 may not be a terrible idea.
Next question is Saab wagon, old wagoneer or old rover. I know why not an older subi wagon, well, cause I don't that much granola yet.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming that you are looking for an opinion, I'll give you mine. I have lived in Pittsburgh, Columbus, Chicago and other cold cities a good part of my life although I now call Atlanta my home. Given my experience with not only the snow and ice, but the salt and rough roads in the winter, as well as the investment you have in your 911, I would lean toward a winter beater and garage your baby. For what it's worth my DD is a 4Runner and I love it. Something to think about for the winter vehicle as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Audi Quattro with Blizzaks. 'Nuff said.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 141 Posts

Little Green, if your 911 is anything other than a DD, drive it! You can get a winter setup for under $2K and, according to the wisdom of this board, it makes a big difference.

If you need to use it as a DD, though, you may have trouble on the really bad, snowy days. In that case, I would suggest a higher clearance beater to tackle the snow.

I'm planning on driving my car through the winter on winter tires. But it's rare that I ever NEED to drive it. We have other cars that I can usually take if the weather gets treacherous. But on cold days (dry, wet or even a little slushy), I'll be waving to you from the P-car!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why be bothered with having to decide if it the snow is too deep to drive your Porsche or not. Get the 4x4 beater and stop worrying about the weather. Plus, given that most of the people you'll in those conditions have no business driving on a snowy/icy road, you'd probably feel a little better about that beater being involved in a wreck than your Porsche.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been driving Porsches in the Midwest since 1978. I never drove them in winter, always had a beater. Over the years as my earning power and savings grew, the beaters got newer and nicer. Despite the fact that 911s go very well in the snow (unless it is so deep you get high sided) I just didn't want to get hit by some idiot sliding through the intersection or into me from behind at stops. Just not worth the risk.

A secondary benefit of storing the Porsche was that every Spring (on or before St. Patrick's Day), I'd pull the Porsche put and it was like having a brand new car, every Spring. Even after six winters with my Turbo, the car seemed new again every Spring.

It's your car, make a decision you can live with.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
Why be bothered with having to decide if it the snow is too deep to drive your Porsche or not. Get the 4x4 beater and stop worrying about the weather. Plus, given that most of the people you'll in those conditions have no business driving on a snowy/icy road, you'd probably feel a little better about that beater being involved in a wreck than your Porsche.
well said
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 141 Posts

No one is recommending you drive the Porsche in full-on inclement weather. I'm just saying why put it into storage for 4 months when 90% of the time the roads are totally fine? How many days are there, really, each winter where it'd be unsafe to drive a rwd car? People drive their RWD BMWs all year round, why wouldn't you drive your 911? Just leave it in the garage when the roads get icy or snowy. Other than that, drive on!

We had a storm here in the northeast yesterday. Today the roads were clear, if not a little wet, and I was out there in my 997. Sure, it got dirty, but that's what soap is for.

Originally Posted by PTParks
Why be bothered with having to decide if it the snow is too deep to drive your Porsche or not.
Why be bothered? Because when you decide that it's safe, you get to drive your Porsche instead of anything else!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't drive my sport cars in the winters

- salt, corrosion
- way too low
- other drivers, more chance of getting hit by others

Also, every spring it feels like a new car, and I enjoy my Tundra in the snow anyways
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My winter beater is a '97 M3 ;-) No really, owned it for 11 years, 152k on it. Works just fine. Still itching to toss some snows on the 911 so I can drive it on those nice days, keep the winter depression at bay!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've joked, the only water the Porsche sees comes out of a garden hose.

So you can imagine where I'm going with this:
Once the salt is applied to the roads here in the North-East the car is put away til early spring. I then break out my old Chevy Blazer.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 475 Likes on 273 Posts

My Porsches are my only car.....I drive them all year round. C4 with snows and I'm set! Wouldn't think of leaving it behind.

Brings a smile to my face summer or winter! I couldn't leave her behind on those winter days. She's sometimes the only bright spot in those long winter grey days!!

Tom
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Audi Quattro with Blizzaks. 'Nuff said.

Chipped A5 for me, Q7 for my wife. But we're still going to take the C4S out on really nice days.

I guess it depends on where you live, but crazy stuff can happen during the winter and spring can be even worse! Nothing's worse than unintentionally plowing your street thanks to the 20mm PASM drop. In spring all the sand and dirt blown up by 18-wheelers...it's like sandpaper and as the snow melts there are potholes everywhere.

We actually walked away from a 2009 C4S because the hood was so badly damaged from tiny rocks, sand, ice chunks, etc.

Hands down find something for winter if you live anywhere that gets significant amount of snow and consequently slush, salt, sand, etc.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

No way...drive the Porsche.
I fully intend to drive my 4S this winter...looking forward to it. All part of getting to know it better.

Now, having said that, I'm retired and don't have to drive to work every day, so I get to be selective on choosing the days to head out on sorties. I figure my C4S will be WAY more fun in winter than my '69 VW bug was!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 328 Posts

Getting a "beater" doesn't compute with me. Life is too short to not be driving this car every day. Granted, for the 1/2 dozen days a year that there is heavy snow, I'll take the subway if necessary. Otherwise, I have AWD and a set of snows and if God forbid some salt gets on the car, I'll hose it off at the nearby self wash. Some people are way too ****.

Quick Reply: Winter tires or beater