Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy a Cabrio, thinking about Used 997S or Order a 981???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Question I want to buy a Cabrio, thinking about Used 997S or Order a 981???????

I am debating trading in my 2011 Audi TT Coupe for a used 997 or New 981. I absolutely want a Convertible. I do love the TT, but when I bought it I did not have my 2012 Dodge Ram for the winter so I no longer need Quattro. Anyway here is my situation, I have a 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab, a 2007 Shelby Mustang, and an Audi TT (Wife has a Honda Odyssey for Family). I do not plan on getting rid of my Shelby, I absolutely love it and have put a lot into it, it will remain my Garage Queen that I put 3000 or so miles on a year. My Ram will handle bad weather days as well as when I need extra room. So the 997/981 would share some DD as well as taking joy rides, probably 8-10K miles a year. I do NOT intend to track it, also I have 496 RWHP in my Shelby so if I want Speed I can get my fix elsewhere.

I have not had a Porsche for a long time, but always knew I would get another, my last was an 88 911 Coupe, I wish I still had it. I would go down that or the 993 road, but do not feel like dealing with the increased maintenance.

I know ultimately it is my choice and I intend to test drive both, but I have learned over the years a test drive just does not tell the full story, it is not long enough.

I would like to keep it under $60K, I built a 2013 and it came out to under $55K, I do not need Navigation and stuff based on my intended use.

Below is an example of what I am thinking, love the options it comes with, to get a 981S with these Options would be $75-80K

Thoughts on this car and this decision?????

http://danbury.porschedealer.com/pre...79055/info.php

Last edited by MessyMarvin; 10-26-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The new Boxster is pretty impressive. I'd go that route, especially if it'll be a keeper.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The 981 is nice eye candy right now as it's newly released but I wonder if it will have the same affect over time... I liked the original boxster when it 1st came out but over time the 911's seem to still hold their appeal IMHO whereas the Boxsters have just become less applying. Plus a new Boxster will depreciate greatly vs. the already used 911. So my vote is for the 997 cab. BTW, that's a very nice looking 997 but I'm curious as to why you're looking at a C4S vs. a C2S since you don't want/need Quattro anymore? Is this an opportunistic find or did you really want an AWD 997? GL
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
The 981 is nice eye candy right now as it's newly released but I wonder if it will have the same affect over time... I liked the original boxster when it 1st came out but over time the 911's seem to still hold their appeal IMHO whereas the Boxsters have just become less applying. Plus a new Boxster will depreciate greatly vs. the already used 911. So my vote is for the 997 cab. BTW, that's a very nice looking 997 but I'm curious as to why you're looking at a C4S vs. a C2S since you don't want/need Quattro anymore? Is this an opportunistic find or did you really want an AWD 997? GL
For some reason it posted the wrong link, I just updated it, looking at C2S for sure.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 205 Posts

Whatever you eat you should still do some de events in it. It will provide a different experience than the all out brute power of that Shelby.

I was in the same boat a few years ago and decided to go with the 997. A friend had the boxster and it was a blast but it felt a little lacking. The new one is supposed to be impressive but I love the option of throwing the kids in the back.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

That all makes sense... a truck for inclement weather and a C2S cab to cover the rest. The '05 C2S cab in the new link looks sharp and has the right options that count... Sport Chrono, PASM, adaptive sport seats, and it looks like full leather even though that's not listed. As an '05 you'll need to determine if it has the old smaller IMS bearing design... if it does then save another $2K to have the LNE bearing installed. The low miles is concerning as it has not been driven enough (1.5k/yr) to get past any infant mortality issues. Also implies that it has potentially been sitting for most of it's life which is where the RMS(rear main seal) starts to dry out and leak requiring that the tranny be dropped to replace a $60 seal. Total replacement cost would be in the $1,500 range. Plus this car is likely out of warranty/CPO which means all and any repairs are on you. $58K is also a steep price for an '05... nice looking car though. As much as I'm partial to G-Red on black I think you can find a better '06-08 car for less with 20-30k miles plus some warranty/CPO to boot. These 997's are quite reliable so don't be afraid of some miles upfront. I purchased my '08 C2S with 45K miles and almost 3.5 yrs of warranty/CPO left... after 1.7 yrs of ownership it's been very reasonable to maintain (all standard stuff) so my wife the account is very happy with my decision to purchase the Carrera... now. GL with the hunt for the right car. It's almost as fun as driving one but this is where some research and patience will pay off years and miles down the road.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The reason I'd go for the Boxster now is that it is so different... Different door skins allowed for the deeper intakes. The full-width spoiler a la Boxster Spyder. The much-improved interior. Etc., etc., etc. If I didn't have a wife AND daughter to cart around, I'd strongly consider it (actually I'd strongly consider the upcoming Cayman since I prefer coupes).
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

$80k for a Boxster seems steep to me. As time goes on, there is the possibility you'll tend to compare the Boxster to the new 991 cab. I know I would. Would it make sense to wait and get a used 991 cab? Let some depreciation do its thing.

I like the 991 cab as verts go. Still a coupe guy though. I love the current cayman and took a hard look. It was just two cramped and I like the roominess and dog utility of a back seat. I also think the 911 is a bit more interesting to drive and quiet when it needs to be.

I suspect the new cayman will make the Boxster look a bit weak. That car will be spectacular when it arrives. Too bad it won't have a seat for my doggie.

That said, gl with your choice and happy hunting.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 PM
El Fredo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets face it the 911 is the ICON! I always consider depreciation curve
If it were me I would get a cab with a pdk used ! An 09 or 10 should be in your orbit
Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM
rmorin49
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also searching for a nice used 997, probably an 05 or 06 as I'm trying to stay under $45K, preferably around $40K. I also want a hardtop so I can drive it in the winter when the roads are dry. Does anyone have any experience painting a hardtop to match? I have found several hardtops on ebay but none in the colors I am interested in. I have found what appears to be a nice 06, dark blue/tan that has an asking price of $45K. It's a Carrera 2 cabrio with 22K miles. I have never owned a Porsche so I need lots of guidance. Thanks.

Quick Reply: I want to buy a Cabrio, thinking about Used 997S or Order a 981???????