Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spies Hecker or Glasurit for my 997.1 factory aero kit.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spies Hecker or Glasurit for my 997.1 factory aero kit.

Hey guys. I'm about to have my oem aero kit installed and painted in GT Silver for my 08 C4S. My body shop ( a Porsche "approved" collision center) states both Spies Hecker and Glasurit are accepted by Porsche. I saw samples of both and they pretty much look identical. My question is, is one better than the other? Is there way I can tell what brand of paint is originally on my car? I just want to make sure I get a good match. Thanks.

Paint Shop
110. Paint system; only the following brands may be used for the repair of Porsche vehicles:
• Spies Hecker
• Standox
• Glasurit
Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have used Glasurit for years and have been extremely happy with it. I have no idea what paint manufacturer is being used currently on the Carrera. One very important point when painting any car today is to allow the primer to dry throughly and settle, before you apply the finish coat. When most body work is done it is done in a hurry. As a result the primer hasn't cured and the color coat settles into the small swirls and scratches in the primer as is shrinks up. Try to get them as much time as possible between the two.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
Hey guys. I'm about to have my oem aero kit installed and painted in GT Silver for my 08 C4S. My body shop ( a Porsche "approved" collision center) states both Spies Hecker and Glasurit are accepted by Porsche. I saw samples of both and they pretty much look identical. My question is, is one better than the other? Is there way I can tell what brand of paint is originally on my car? I just want to make sure I get a good match. Thanks.

Paint Shop
110. Paint system; only the following brands may be used for the repair of Porsche vehicles:
• Spies Hecker
• Standox
• Glasurit
My memory is Glasurit is a more recent addition to the list of approved paints/paint systems. But it has been on the list for a few years now.

A real good painter might be able to make an educated guess as which paint is on your car. I do not know of way to know based on the VIN, options codes.

Now it might the color of your only comes from one or possibly 2 of the 3 paints but I have no solid info on this either way.

If GT silver is a metal flake paint that derives some or all of its "color" from the metal flake then to get a good blend the adjacent panels will want to be sprayed too.

Otherwise the newly painted body parts may not match up and can stand out and subtract from the car's appearance.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Either is good quality. We use Spies for the majority of our Porsche stuff. GT Silver is available in Spies and Glasurit, and you can mix it using other brands as well.

However, one thing to keep in mind, you should meet the painter and the shop owner, and ask about formulation.

When painting lower trim (we did my lowers when the turbo arrived), you really have to tweak the formula a bit. Painting it the same formulation as the upper panels may result in finish that would look ok, but not 100% because of how light hits the lower sections compared to the rest of the car.

We tweaked the formula 9 different ways on mine (yeah, I'm **** with a capital A)....until it was what we wanted. It's NOT the same as you would spray on the doors, fenders or hoods. There is no need to blend adjacent panels IF you have a true pro doing the work - he will know how to lay this material down on the kit parts to avoid that.

But a good top notch shop will know this. The formula has to be manipulated a bit, and you should be able to come see the sprayouts to compare before the work is done.

Good luck with it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we're on the paint subject, does anyone have advice on where/how to find a Porsche "approved" body shop? I asked the local P car dealer in Dayton, and to no surprise I was directed to their own collision center in another local location (which happens to be a Chevy dealer). Consider me skeptical, I'd like more referrals before I have my minor rear bumper scratch touched up by the Chevy dealership.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamuth
While we're on the paint subject, does anyone have advice on where/how to find a Porsche "approved" body shop? I asked the local P car dealer in Dayton, and to no surprise I was directed to their own collision center in another local location (which happens to be a Chevy dealer). Consider me skeptical, I'd like more referrals before I have my minor rear bumper scratch touched up by the Chevy dealership.
First of all ask around...do not take the dealer's recommendations. They recommend places where they have much self-interest (read $$$$$$)!!

Porsche approved doesn't matter. Look on line and see and talk to people before making a decision. I had a pretty big accident and the shop that worked on my car fixed it beautifully.....beyond my wildest expectations! Those shops with artists are out there....you just have to do a little digging and personal investigating.

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Also try PCA chapters in your region for recommendations.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:57 PM
svb
Racer

http://www.porschecollisioncenter.com/locate/index2.php

Here you go. You will find that everyone listed here uses Glasurit or Spies Hecker.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by svb
http://www.porschecollisioncenter.com/locate/index2.php

Here you go. You will find that everyone listed here uses Glasurit or Spies Hecker.
Um, not really. It's a good list, but will not include every shop using those paints.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Ive used glasurit for yrs, and used other brands. I dont think it matters much what you use on a body kit. If you want the best id say use G , because its the most expensive. But youll never tell any difference on the parts.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM
svb
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Um, not really. It's a good list, but will not include every shop using those paints.
No I know that, but to be "Porsche approved" you have to offer Spies, Glasurit, or Bondox (or whatever that is.) Plenty of other shops use those paints as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Glasurit.
My guy restores very high end cars and that is what he used to use.
Also check and see who now makes Porsche paint.
He now uses PPG and waterborn paint but said use factory or Glasurit.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche Collision Center link is a nice link to try, but I keep getting an error when I try a search. Does it work for anyone else?

Quick Reply: Spies Hecker or Glasurit for my 997.1 factory aero kit.