Sponsored by:

Exhaust Pipe - 2 or 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Farside
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust Pipe - 2 or 4

I was at the dealer today and noticed that the 997 Turbo has only two exhausts (hidden inside those big tips) - this is also more obvious in the GT3's.

Why is it that the 997s has 4? I suspect that the CS does not need all four, and is then only for aesthetic reasons?

I was also under the impression that it is the 2nd (the smaller pipe, at least for the 997.1) that has the PSE valves that make me smile? But this can't be the case as where would they be for the TT?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Farside; 10-26-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Farside
I was at the dealer today and noticed that the 997 Turbo has only two exhausts (hidden inside those big tips) - this is also more obvious in the GT3's.

Why is it that the 997s has 4? I suspect that the CS does not need all four, and is then only for aesthetic reasons?

I was also under the impression that it is the 2nd (the smaller pipe, at least for the 997.1) that has the PSE valves that make me smile? But this can't be the case as where would they be for the TT?

Any thoughts?
Look closer at the 997s and you'll see that there are only two exhaust pipes but split into 4 outlets. PSE valves are not part of the tips and the turbo does not have PSE.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Farside
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, yes that does make sense. I wonder why no PSE option in TT...anyway, looking forward to listing to mine this weekend.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Appears cosmetic... one 62.5mm exhaust pipe on each side of the car which is attached to dual SS tips for the C2S stock exhaust. Why one large and one small tailpipe tips with PSE? likely for appearances. Even my aftermarket FVD exhaust system with 70mm pipes throughout ends with a "Y" split into very large dual tail pipes. Aesthetically "tacticool" with 4 barrels in back but I think the functional benefits are minimal.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 AM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

On the PSE exhaust there are two exit pipes per muffler (4 total exhaust pipes):the large one is the main/regular outlet pipe that handles 100% of the exhaust gasses when the PSE valve is closed. When the PSE valve is open it lets exhaust out the small tip through a separate bypass pipe. ie: 2 outlet pipes per side (not cosmetic). Not sure why they made the inner tips smaller other than to visually identify the PSE as different than standard.

It does sound very good.

John

Quick Reply: Exhaust Pipe - 2 or 4