Sponsored by:

Time to Change Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Great car Gary! Congratualtions and welcome to the cab club. Remember- top down, zippers up, and pedal to the metal. Enjoy.
Yes, gorgeous cabrio!
This time of year though...put the heat on too!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Great car and fantastic opportunity for afternoon desert runs with the top down. With PDK shifting, priceless!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Petroguy
Gary. I'm a new guy round here but I thought I would throw in my .02. Congrats on a beautiful car. You deserve it and I hope you enjoy it.

Human nature seems to require a lot of passionate followers of any car brand to reject evolution of a cars design, especially past the specific model that the person objecting just happen to own. I for one love the new design and would jump at the chance to own one.

I hope the car agrees with your back and enjoy it in good health.
Welcome to the family. I do expect to enjoy this cab and so far my back agrees. (We need a knock-on-wood icon.)

Gary
Old 11-14-2012, 02:35 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Congrats! Great looking car. How miles have you been able to put on her so far?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fskof
Congrats! Great looking car. How miles have you been able to put on her so far?
One hundred eighty-one, it says here, but technically only the last 179.3 of those are my own miles. Various people from the factory to the dealership put on the first 1.7 miles.

Gary
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Great car and fantastic opportunity for afternoon desert runs with the top down. With PDK shifting, priceless!
I can't drive the desert roads. Too many straight runs at steady speed for a break-in period. I am forced to seek winding roads with challenging changes of radius and camber, vicious slopes, and frequent close approaches to oceans, wildlife, and vegetation. This is why I am compelled to drive the notorious Coast Highway next month from our southern border to the City by the Bay and points north. Like the wine country of Marin.

Oh, the inhumanity of break in.

Gary
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
I can't drive the desert roads. Too many straight runs at steady speed for a break-in period. I am forced to seek winding roads with challenging changes of radius and camber, vicious slopes, and frequent close approaches to oceans, wildlife, and vegetation. This is why I am compelled to drive the notorious Coast Highway next month from our southern border to the City by the Bay and points north. Like the wine country of Marin.

Oh, the inhumanity of break in.

Gary
but somebody's gotta do it...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkswow12
but somebody's gotta do it...
Exactly! My sense of duty is never to be found wanting.

G
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Beautiful car. Enjoy!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Congratulations on the addition, she's a beauty. Enjoy your cab in good health.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Very Nice. Congrats.

The rear of the cab now looks great in the 991. The wheels are growing on me as not being too big. Are they 20's?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Very Nice. Congrats.

The rear of the cab now looks great in the 991. The wheels are growing on me as not being too big. Are they 20's?
Yes, they are. And I wasn't sure about the style until I saw them in person. Love them, both size and style.

Gary
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Took delivery yesterday. [...] It was a PDK, a convertible, and this time I was coming home in Friday night traffic on two of the busiest freeways in the world, the 101 and the 405 next to Los Angeles. Then I escaped onto the 14 which heads over the Angeles mountains to Antelope Valley. Still heavy end-of-week commuter traffic but averaging ten knots faster.
Thought I'd post an update on my new C2S Cab, but first I have to correct myself. [Excuses first: I'm old, I'm retired, the dog ate it.] I picked up my car on a Monday night, not Friday. Honestly, there isn't much difference in Los Angeles freeway traffic on Monday and Friday. Both days are half again as heavy as Wednesday for example. Must be some complex demographic reason I've never analyzed. Not a big deal, but the mistake caught my eye when I re-read this note.
I loved the ferocious nature of my 997.2 and now its time for a car that emphasizes fun so I've got a 991 Cabriolet. Both are wonderful cars.
I have taken the new one to its first track day and it gave very respectable results for a car still in the break-in phase. I was a good boy, a responsible owner... for most of the laps. Ahem.

A confession I have not vouchsafed the 991 folks yet: A few nights ago, I grabbed a quick tankful of gas half a block from the restaurant I intended for dinner. On re-starting, I punched 'sport' mode which wakens the PSE as a side effect. Usually, I suppress that if I'm not on track, but I was maneuvering around a refrigerator truck restocking the station's snack shop so I didn't get around to that button. Pulled into the exit drive which has a sharp dip for drainage.

A car was turning onto the four-lane road from a light an eighth-mile away. Lots of room. I pulled across that dip gently to keep from bruising the cute little airdam our cars have and automatically checked the oncoming traffic once more as I accelerated gently away. Bozo in his Sport Lump took offense at my pulling onto his four-lane road and suddenly he was at full throttle planning to show his displeasure by strafing me.

A gentleman at this point would have backed up into the exitway to give him passage, but... well, it may come through now and again that I have this slight aggressive streak. I hide it quite successfully most of the time, ahem, but not always. While I was busy deciding what to order at the restaurant half a block away, that alter ego took over and sorta kinda dipped into the throttle a little too far. Alright 'he' might have firewalled it.

The PDK can't leave it at that, you know. It downshifted, hammered first all the way to redline, slammed a shift back up to second after what seemed like 1800 milliseconds of first gear trauma, and then... well, in that half block we managed to approach redline in second (if you don't know, go back to the 356 forum). And we did all that with sport exhaust engaged. Okay, okay. No committee was around. No 'we'. [I'm old; I was being so careful driving that I couldn't spare a thumb to upshift early; the dog ate my...] I'm afraid I did it all myself.

But my goodness. That sport exhaust near redline is a cheerful sound, isn't it? It echoed off buildings in both directions that normally are too far off the road surface to generate audible echoes. The other driver had a stunned expression as he weaved past in the Lumpmobile as I slowed for the restaurant. I might be wrong, but it looked like blood was running out of the ear nearest to me. Two old gentlemen in Wienerschnitzel lost control of their bladders. A woman swooned; her child was shaking her and crying 'Mommy!".

I shall remember to suppress PSE in civilized precincts hereafter. And keep it under 4000 again for the next 1074 miles.

Gary
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

My hero!

Enjoy the new ride!!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Great story Simsgw.