Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Change Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries about the "rock chips of honor" on your car Gary. Better to know about this up front when the car is pristine. As you know every track is different as to if gravel gets thrown up or not during a DE. Clearplex could be helpful lest you get rocks at the windscreen requiring sealing or replacement. Hard to predict when that occurs. Usual job is 300 and lasts a few years (review in recent Excellence mag)
I so far prefer a go Pro on the side of my helmet. I do have a harness bar for my 6 pt. It can be a bit tricky getting the white balance correct because of the bright outside the windshield and the darker interior dash light. Just a FYI.

On a side note I hope you have a chance to go to Stuttgart if you haven't already. Both the MBZ and Porsche museums are fantastic design-wise but also with their car collections and engine examples. Today Porsche factory tour which I am sure would fascinate you. Anyway, just a thought.
Peter
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
No worries about the "rock chips of honor" on your car Gary. Better to know about this up front when the car is pristine. As you know every track is different as to if gravel gets thrown up or not during a DE. Clearplex could be helpful lest you get rocks at the windscreen requiring sealing or replacement. Hard to predict when that occurs. Usual job is 300 and lasts a few years (review in recent Excellence mag)
I so far prefer a go Pro on the side of my helmet. I do have a harness bar for my 6 pt. It can be a bit tricky getting the white balance correct because of the bright outside the windshield and the darker interior dash light. Just a FYI.

On a side note I hope you have a chance to go to Stuttgart if you haven't already. Both the MBZ and Porsche museums are fantastic design-wise but also with their car collections and engine examples. Today Porsche factory tour which I am sure would fascinate you. Anyway, just a thought.
Peter
I'm not a fan of protection layers. I can always tell when a car is wearing one and it reminds me too much of little old ladies in the fifties who would buy a brand new couch with lovely upholstery and demand it be covered with clear vinyl before delivery "to protect the fine cloth." Cindy and I always joked they might as well buy a plastic couch with the picture of a fine fabric printed on it because you ended up sitting on cold vinyl. Just an aesthetic choice, mind you. Not a direct parallel at all, I realize that, but it is the memory they invoked for us, so we never wanted them on our cars.

You're right about the white balance. I've been shooting videos in my 997 for a couple of years and that is the biggest issue. Manageable with practice, but still a pain since the camera operates unattended. Well, white balance and also the tripod shifting under acceleration.

I thought seriously about ordering my car this time for pick-up in Germany. Haven't been to Germany -- or Europe at all -- in the last forty years. Cindy and I had a great time when we lived there, and I thought briefly about going back alone. But a Cab ordered now would complete manufacturing around February. February is not my favorite month for a quick driving tour of Northern Europe. Not out of the question, but not a big point in favor of European Delivery. Besides, I would have to spend the next three months driving a car that was killing my back.

When they found a car already "on vessel" that had everything I did want, and only a couple of options I could do without, I dropped the idea. I only have a few weeks to wait, and I have a Panamera to drive. I'll do February in San Diego probably.

Gary
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

My mother had that clear vinyl on her couch when I grew up and I would not sit on it. February will come soon enough for you. You new car on the vessel sounds great. They did have a 991 cab (white) as one of the "modern" exhibits at the Porsche museum by the way.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the wrapper either but I plan to keep my car for a while so the clear bra protects the front of the car from rock chips, bugs and scratches. I'd rather deal with the clear bra rather than the rock chips. If you can afford to buy a new 911 every few years then do without the clear bra unless you drive in the winter out West where sand is used on the roads.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by simsgw
[...]I've put a deposit on a 2013 C2S Cab in white on brown, "premium package with 18-way Adjustable Sport Seats", PDK, PSE, Sport Chrono, and espresso natural leather. Other stuff I forget. Its status is "On Vessel" inbound. I paid extra for shipping by closed van to California after arrival.
Took delivery yesterday. It was dark by the time I completed the paperwork and passing handfuls of cash, just as happened when we bought our 997S. This time I know where to find the speedometer so I had no excuse to merge at 100+ onto the 101 freeway adjacent to Auto Gallery, but I had no idea where the subsystem controls were located. Furthermore, it was a PDK, a convertible, and this time I was coming home in Friday night traffic on two of the busiest freeways in the world, the 101 and the 405 next to Los Angeles. Then I escaped onto the 14 which heads over the Angeles mountains to Antelope Valley. Still heavy end-of-week commuter traffic but averaging ten knots faster.

With all that going on, I still found the car's operation intuitive and its steering and handling brilliant at all speeds. Not to flog a dying horse, but the reasons for choosing a 993, a 997.1 or .2, or a 991 cannot honestly include complaints that Porsche have screwed up one aspect or the other of the model we don't choose. Different models have different ways to appeal to us, but they all are great cars. Whether you do not want a particular model or you lust for that one with an embarrassing intensity cannot be based on deficiencies, on fears about DFI engines or electrical steering assistance versus hydraulic. Just buy what you like within your budget. Porsche does it right.

I loved the ferocious nature of my 997.2 and now its time for a car that emphasizes fun so I've got a 991 Cabriolet. Both are wonderful cars.

Pictures later. For now, I'm off to drive it for a few hours in daylight and get better acquainted.

Gary
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CONGRATULATIONS, Gary !! Post a few pictures when you can......
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in Talent
CONGRATULATIONS, Gary !! Post a few pictures when you can......
Oops. I put them on the 991 forum and forgot to post them here! I think I'm supposed to just put a link to the other post when it's this long, but I don't know how, so here it is again:

Nope that didn't work. The copy function didn't grab the pictures, just the text. Let me try again:

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Waiting for the pics......

Okay, okay! Calm down!

Last night: All alone?

With the trash? Daisy May was a little lonely. (Click for full size images.)

But today in the sunshine:

I'll report on the driving experience in the next note. Here are the high-resolution versions.

Gary
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 275 Posts

Beautiful Gary.....good luck to you!

Tom
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

wow very nice!
that thing sure has a lot of badging on it though.....

enjoy!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

wow...all the best...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

gorgeous car. Congrats!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Looks great. Enjoy the new car in good health.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,281 Likes on 592 Posts

Great car Gary! Congratualtions and welcome to the cab club. Remember- top down, zippers up, and pedal to the metal. Enjoy.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Petroguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary. I'm a new guy round here but I thought I would throw in my .02. Congrats on a beautiful car. You deserve it and I hope you enjoy it.

Human nature seems to require a lot of passionate followers of any car brand to reject evolution of a cars design, especially past the specific model that the person objecting just happen to own. I for one love the new design and would jump at the chance to own one.

I hope the car agrees with your back and enjoy it in good health.

Quick Reply: Time to Change Porsches