Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gas octane rating is recommend in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM
rccman100
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gas octane rating is recommend in the USA?

The fuel door of my 997.1 (here in Switzerland) has a minimum octane rating of 98. What does say on cars in the states? is it the same? I don't ever recall seeing such high octane fuel there. Or is it a different measurement system?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a number of different standards for octane calculation. My manual recommends an RON octane of 98, (Research Octane Number), which is apparently equivalent to a 93 octane when the CLC (Cost of Living Council), or AKI (Anti Knock Index), are used. It gets even more complex in California, where the additives required for clean burning keep our premium octane down around 91.

But I digress. lol

Your question was about the recommended octane, which is 98/93.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It simply no longer matters.

These days if you fuel a high compression engine with low octane, below "spec" octane, the engine ECU will quickly detect that and slightly enrich the mixture when the throttle is wide open or nearly so. At least that's what I was told by the factory when we picked up my 2001 C4. I was told that during our subsequent european travels we might not always be able to fuel with preminum but not to worry...

These days most cars, for the above reason, with high compression engines, engines that in yesteryears REQUIRED premium fuels, now only "recommend" fueling with premium for best performance.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by wwest

These days if you fuel a high compression engine with low octane, below "spec" octane, the engine ECU will quickly detect that and slightly enrich the mixture when the throttle is wide open or nearly so. At least that's what I was told by the factory when we picked up my 2001 C4. I was told that during our subsequent european travels we might not always be able to fuel with preminum but not to worry...

These days most cars, for the above reason, with high compression engines, engines that in yesteryears REQUIRED premium fuels, now only "recommend" fueling with premium for best performance.
Well stated Wwest. I know that there have been many hotly debated conversations regarding fuel, not just here, but in many auto forums. I personally have a friend with a 2008 Corvette who often uses regular unleaded. At the risk of igniting another of these debates, I submit this response to the queston, which seems to be a very thorough answer to the octane riddle:

" 'Octane' is an anti-knock rating. The higher the rating the higher the anti-knock properties and the cooler the fuel will burn.

High compression engines require higher octane ratings to keep them from overheating in the combustion phase. That's why it's critical to use a premium fuel in a european automobile that requires it, otherwise you run the risk of knocking or 'detonation' as the proper term. Detonation comes from the fuel iginiting before the spark sets it off, causing an awful knocking sound in the engine. Excess heat stored in carbon build up and on the piston dome sets off the fuel charge. To excess it can burn through the piston dome.

The lower octane fuel runs hotter so it offers more power for a lower compression engine. In our old race bikes we would actually have to jet leaner with race gas because it burns cooler and thus combines a lower fuel-air ratio. Conversely, if they were setup for race gas and you used pump gas you needed to jet richer or they would tend to lean out.

For your car, if the manufacturer recommends 91 octane premium fuel, that's what you should burn in it. The newests models with all of their sensors and computerized control of combustion mixtures will sense a lower octane burn and retard the timing a bit to curb detonation. You will get better mileage and smoother running with the proper fuel."

... and this is straight out of the owner's manual:

"Porsche also recognizes that these fuels may not always be available. Be assured that your vehicle will operate properly on unleaded premium fuels with octane numbers of at least 95 RON (90 CLC or AKI), since the engine’s “Electronic OctaneTM knock control” will adapt the ignition timing, if necessary..." "Octane rating indicates a fuel’s ability to resist detonation. Therefore, buying the correct octane gas is important to prevent engine “damage”."

“The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.”
-William Blake
Old 10-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Well, I'm sorry but it does matter at least in Porsches and probably other car brands as well.

First the DME does not add extra fuel when it detects the effects of running a below octane grade of gasoline, it retards igntion timing.

The only time I can see 'extra fuel" added is under hard acceleration when the DME in order to satisfy the torque demand of the driver enrichens the fuel mixture to richer level which is condusive to more power generation.

In doing so the DME switches from closed loop mode to open loop mode which lasts as long as this hard acceleration is in effect.

The DME will retard spark but it does so upon detecting detonation arising from the wrong (too low) octane.

This retarded spark timing lowers the pressure in the combustion which eliminates the detonation but this retarded spark timing has its downsides.

Sure, it is preferred to letting the detonation continue but the trade of is like deciding to smash a little toe with a hammer vs. a big toe because at least the little toe being smaller will hurt less.

One downside is retarded timing raises exhaust gas temperature which subjects the combustion chamber, valves and all downstream from the chamber to higher operating temperatures.

Another downside is the efficiency of the engine is reduced. That exhaust heat represents wasted energy.

Which brings up another downside: reduced fuel economy.

And another downside: driveability is affected.

High compression is a very nice way to help an engine be responsive where it most needs to be responsive, at part throttle operation where passenger vehicles spend the bulk of their time.

To derive maximum benefit from this high compression requires the correct grade of octane gasoline.

Both regular and premium gasolines have nearly the same BTUs. In fact IIRC premium gasoline's BTU's range is slightly above that of regular gasoline, but not by much and lest someone get the wrong idea certainly not enough to justify anyone switching to premium gasoline when his car's engine is designed to run on regular gasoline.

Premium gasoline doesn't burn slower or colder than regular it simply has additives/is blended to resist forming pre-ignition compounds ahead of the advacing flame front of combustion and to thus resist pre-igniting.

The flame front advances smoothly from the triggering spark to the end of combustion.

The DME can trigger ignition early enough (sometimes on the order of 35/36 degrees BTDC!) to get combustion going so that piston is best positioned to convert the pressure of combustion into mechanical power.

Since Porsches are sold worldwide and not every region has a good selection of high octane gasoline Porsche and other makers allow some leeway. IIRC though in my owners manual no octane below 90 should be used so there is a guess a limit to how low one can go.

Run whatever grade of gasoline you want in your car's engine but if you run anything but the proper octane of gasoline or as close to it as you can get you are shortchanging yourself regarding the experience of a properly fueled high compression engine and subjecting your car's engine to extra wear/tear and burning more gasoline in the process.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Yep
Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Thanks Macster. That's my new favorite explanation. For what it's worth... How much does one save in the long run? Even if a person uses a full tank every week, and supposing a price difference of .20 per gallon...
16 gallons x 52 weeks x .20 comes to a whopping $166.40 for the year. I spend more than that at Starbucks.

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, I'm sorry but it does matter at least in Porsches and probably other car brands as well.

First the DME does not add extra fuel when it detects the effects of running a below octane grade of gasoline, it retards igntion timing.

The only time I can see 'extra fuel" added is under hard acceleration when the DME in order to satisfy the torque demand of the driver enrichens the fuel mixture to richer level which is condusive to more power generation.

In doing so the DME switches from closed loop mode to open loop mode which lasts as long as this hard acceleration is in effect.

The DME will retard spark but it does so upon detecting detonation arising from the wrong (too low) octane.

This retarded spark timing lowers the pressure in the combustion which eliminates the detonation but this retarded spark timing has its downsides.

Sure, it is preferred to letting the detonation continue but the trade of is like deciding to smash a little toe with a hammer vs. a big toe because at least the little toe being smaller will hurt less.

One downside is retarded timing raises exhaust gas temperature which subjects the combustion chamber, valves and all downstream from the chamber to higher operating temperatures.

Another downside is the efficiency of the engine is reduced. That exhaust heat represents wasted energy.

High compression is a very nice way to help an engine be responsive where it most needs to be responsive, at part throttle operation where passenger vehicles spend the bulk of their time.

To derive maximum benefit from this high compression requires the correct grade of octane gasoline.

Both regular and premium gasolines have nearly the same BTUs. In fact IIRC premium gasoline's BTU's range is slightly above that of regular gasoline, but not by much and lest someone get the wrong idea certainly not enough to justify anyone switching to premium gasoline when his car's engine is designed to run on regular gasoline.

Premium gasoline doesn't burn slower or colder than regular it simply has additives/is blended to resist forming pre-ignition compounds ahead of the advacing flame front of combustion and to thus resist pre-igniting.

The flame front advances smoothly from the triggering spark to the end of combustion.

The DME can trigger ignition early enough (sometimes on the order of 35/36 degrees BTDC!) to get combustion going so that piston is best positioned to convert the pressure of combustion into mechanical power.

Since Porsches are sold worldwide and not every region has a good selection of high octane gasoline Porsche and other makers allow some leeway. IIRC though in my owners manual no octane below 90 should be used so there is a guess a limit to how low one can go.

Run whatever grade of gasoline you want in your car's engine but if you run anything but the proper octane of gasoline or as close to it as you can get you are shortchanging yourself regarding the experience of a properly fueled high compression engine and subjecting your car's engine to extra wear/tear and burning more gasoline in the process.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Half true...

Yes, you CAN run any octane gas, and engine will be protected by ECU and won't be damaged. However, by doing so, you lose fuel economy and horsepower.

The loss of HP is actually very noticable. In Canada we have 94 Octane/0% ethanol gas, anytime I travel to US and use 91 octane/10% ethanol gas, the car feels like it lost at least 20-30HP, specially in the mid-range (as Macster explained).
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Download this app and try and run ethanol free gas. My mileage is noticeably better running ethanol free gas.
Pure-gas.com
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Sincerely,

Macster.
I'm not informed enough to add anything other than when you stumble across this type of thoughtful/reasoned post it makes parsing through all the "+1" comments worth the time.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
Well stated Wwest. I know that there have been many hotly debated conversations regarding fuel, not just here, but in many auto forums. I personally have a friend with a 2008 Corvette who often uses regular unleaded. At the risk of igniting another of these debates, I submit this response to the queston, which seems to be a very thorough answer to the octane riddle:

" 'Octane' is an anti-knock rating. The higher the rating the higher the anti-knock properties and the cooler the fuel will burn.

High compression engines require higher octane ratings to keep them from overheating in the combustion phase. That's why it's critical to use a premium fuel in a european automobile that requires it, otherwise you run the risk of knocking or 'detonation' as the proper term. Detonation comes from the fuel iginiting before the spark sets it off, causing an awful knocking sound in the engine. Excess heat stored in carbon build up and on the piston dome sets off the fuel charge. To excess it can burn through the piston dome.

The lower octane fuel runs hotter so it offers more power for a lower compression engine. In our old race bikes we would actually have to jet leaner with race gas because it burns cooler and thus combines a lower fuel-air ratio. Conversely, if they were setup for race gas and you used pump gas you needed to jet richer or they would tend to lean out.

For your car, if the manufacturer recommends 91 octane premium fuel, that's what you should burn in it. The newests models with all of their sensors and computerized control of combustion mixtures will sense a lower octane burn and retard the timing a bit to curb detonation. You will get better mileage and smoother running with the proper fuel."

... and this is straight out of the owner's manual:

"Porsche also recognizes that these fuels may not always be available. Be assured that your vehicle will operate properly on unleaded premium fuels with octane numbers of at least 95 RON (90 CLC or AKI), since the engine’s “Electronic OctaneTM knock control” will adapt the ignition timing, if necessary..." "Octane rating indicates a fuel’s ability to resist detonation. Therefore, buying the correct octane gas is important to prevent engine “damage”."

“The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.”
-William Blake
"..and retard the timing a bit to curb detonation.."

NO.

Before the advent of EFI, the days of carburetion, this may have been the procedure, but even then that only applied to "spark knock", "detonation" resulting from the ignition spark itself.

But with EFI, or nowadays DFI, enriching the mixture slightly to alleviate detonation, even spark knock, is a much better solution, except for knocking arising from lugging the engine.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

"..and retard the timing a bit to curb detonation.."

NO.

Before the advent of EFI, the days of carburetion, this may have been the procedure, but even then that only applied to "spark knock", "detonation" resulting from the ignition spark itself.

But with EFI, or nowadays DFI, enriching the mixture slightly to alleviate detonation, even spark knock, is a much better solution, except for knocking arising from lugging the engine.
So sorry. I figured that a direct quote from the owner's manual would suffice.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM
wwest
Drifting

...it retards ignition timing...

No.

Besides which, just what good would that do? If the detonation is occuring prior to the spark then obviously NONE...!! If it's "spark knock" then it would only delay detonation, and possibly result in "self ignition" as the piston continues to rise, increasing compression.

Whereas enriching the mixture slightly....

Our cars NEVER run "open loop". In idle or cruise mode the lead oxygen sensor is used to control the A/F mixture. During acceleration or with the engine under a heavy load the A/F mixture is controlled via the MAF/IAT sensors. Since detonation is highly unlikely to result in idle or cruise that is not an issue here.

Again, if detonation is occurring prior to the ignition spark just what good would it do to delay the spark? And if spark knock?

If detonation is occuring co-incident with ignition then what good would delaying the (BTDC) ignition accomplish..?

With all your downsides to delaying ignition why wouldn't ANY design engineer choose slightly enriching the mixture as a more reasonable solution?Or maybe even pre-cooling the fuel via the A/C

Yes, agreed, absolutely.

Sorry, BTU's are not a part of "this" equation. Diesel fuel has the highest BTU content and then BTU's get lower and lower a you climb the octane scale.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
So sorry. I figured that a direct quote from the owner's manual would suffice.
But again, think about it, think it through, what good would it do, could it do, to retard the ignition timing if detonation is present?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:49 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

But again, think about it, think it through, what good would it do, could it do, to retard the ignition timing if detonation is present?
Correct me if I am wrong, please, but is not detonation simply caused by the ignition of the fuel before TDC? The retardation of spark would then seem to be the perfect solution for the ECU to perform.

Quick Reply: What gas octane rating is recommend in the USA?