Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gas octane rating is recommend in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
Correct me if I am wrong, please, but is not detonation simply caused by the ignition of the fuel before TDC?

Yes, but the bigger problem with detonation is when it occurs PRIOR to, or even co-incident with the ignition spark. For example spark advance is at 14 degrees but the low octane fuel ignites, EXPLODES, at 20 degrees BTDC.

The retardation of spark would then seem to be the perfect solution for the ECU to perform.
And think about this. If the ignition spark results in detonation, spark knock, then the A/F mixture was already on the "cusp" of detonation and thus delaying/retarding the spark would then most likely result in detonation prior to the ignition spark. In any case with spark knock (non-lugging) retarding the spark would not help.

Detonation is generally defined as simultaneous ignition of the ENTIRE A/F mixture volume. But nothing is absolute, spark ignition of a mixture that is already close to detonation can also result in a flame front that advances too rapidly.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 PM
wwest
Drifting

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but is not detonation simply caused by the ignition of the fuel before TDC? The retardation of spark would then seem to be the perfect solution for the ECU to perform.
Oh, now I see..

"...caused by (spark) ignition of the fuel before TDC?...

You're speaking only of spark knock, but the most detrimental form of detonation is the result of SELF-ignition.

But in any case if you're getting detonation co-incident with the spark then the mixture was likely already on the cusp of self-igniting.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Oh, now I see..

"...caused by (spark) ignition of the fuel before TDC?...

You're speaking only of spark knock, but the most detrimental form of detonation is the result of SELF-ignition.

But in any case if you're getting detonation co-incident with the spark then the mixture was likely already on the cusp of self-igniting.
Ok, I see what you are saying, but doesn't an earlier spark alleviate both types of pre-ignition? I don't see how a richer fuel mix would cause the ignition to occur any later... and wouldn't a richer mixture then cause other problems in a high compression engine? I am not a mechanic, nor a mechanical engineer, so I realize that my understanding of current technology is a bit limited.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM
wwest
Drifting

More gas in the mixture..MORE cooling..

Ask any GA pilot.

Same theory as DFI, vaporization (evaporative cooling) of fuel just as it enters the combustion chamber allows compression ratios of 12:1, even 14:1 in some cases.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM
wwest
Drifting

Ok, I see what you are saying, but doesn't an earlier spark alleviate both types of pre-ignition? I don't see how a richer fuel mix would cause the ignition to occur any later... and wouldn't a richer mixture then cause other problems in a high compression engine? I am not a mechanic, nor a mechanical engineer, so I realize that my understanding of current technology is a bit limited.
If the engine's A/F mixture is already on the cusp of detonation BEFORE TDC and you advance the ignition matters will simply get worse.

Quick Reply: What gas octane rating is recommend in the USA?