Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am driving myself, and the wife, crazy. Yet another what to buy thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
He is still sobering up Joel. Wait a little longer, he'll bite.
Seriously, I can't believe a Porsche enthusiast can write so much rubbish .
I have read great posts from Dan but this isn't one of them. So polarizing.

4wd made for the people who can't drive ? No, made for all year round drive ability on German high speed autobahns. When the GT2's are safely tucked away a turbo does what is supposed to do. Being a secure high speed all-weather cruiser.

It's not as lively as a GT Porsche but still is a great car to drive. I have had almost all Porsche's including a GT3 RS (996) and I prefer the turbo above them all. Maybe it's true it's brilliant at nothing but for sure it is good at everything. The perfect compromise for a road going Porsche.

Do you truly believe anybody buys a turbo to pose ? 99.9% of the public can't tell the difference between a 997 and 997TT. Who would they want to impress. Other Porsche drivers? You really believe this?

Instead I think a reason for turbo sales is simply the boost. It's intoxicating and very enjoyable !

Most of us share a passion for the sportscar maker from Zuffenhausen and I really don't get this bashing of other peoples choices.
Exactly Denis. Well said. I know Dan is around but I think he's hiding! More like it... he's probably secretly going and testing Turbo's when no one is looking.
You can that too USMC! We'll all turn the other way while you get your BOOST!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Derek978
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A deposit has been placed.

'09 Aqua Blue over Sand Beige Turbo.

Now the wait for paperwork and shipping begins.

Thanks again, I will post pictures once she is home per the "rules"

Derek
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

A big congrats. How about an intro post in the 997 turbo forum ?
Recently there are a lot of new members/owners and I am sure you would be welcomed with open arms.

You got a very special car. Aqua is a stunning color and it has all the right options. And the best year of all turbo's, ever.
You will be in Porsche heaven and your childhood dream will be fulfilled in a big way. Again, congrats and hope to see you very soon in the turbo section of Rennlist.

Last edited by TT-911; 12-15-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Derek978
Advanced

That would be the car. Not too many of them around in that color combo.

I will post over in the turbo section as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek978

Derek
Right on Derek! Really the best choice for where you are and what you've got going on. Exciting! I bet you're not sleeping much, right? Make sure to post the pics ASAP.

Joel
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derek
Congrats Derek...... you will love the Sand Beige interior. I had it in the white 997 S I just sold. Especially nice in the hotter months.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

god i love that colour! I was going to get it if not white (which remains my first choice not to worry)
Excellent choice on the turbo!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Derek978
Advanced

The wait is going to be the hardest part. I almost bought an '08 in cobalt blue so I could drive it this weekend. In the end, the '09 will make me happier though.

I also like white on these cars. The top non-turbo car was a white GTS locally that was very sharp. It sold last weekend and pushed me over the top on pulling the trigger on this one.

Oh well, I waited 30 years what's a couple of weeks...
Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sand beige is a nice color interior EXCEPT for the glare it produces in reflection of the sun onto the windshield. I drove a 991 with beige interior and found the glare nearly intolerable so I nixed the deal.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Derek978
Advanced

Here she is, delivered Friday morning.

The kids have named her Sally, of the movie Cars.

The weather has not cooperated so far with putting many miles on but so far she is very impressive.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Derek
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, very cool. Looks to be kid approved as well.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 PM
El Fredo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Sorry to be borin..forget investment guy, pay off the house first
U can or should be at 3% fixed on 15 years on the house.....
If there is ever a time not pay off the house it would be now!
So sorry mumbles.....
Just make damn sure you dont over pay for the P Car!
One mans opinion. You cant drive your house.

Enjoy
Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some background:

I have wanted a 911 since I was 6. My parents gave me my 911 shaped piggy bank from 1981 this weekend. I have recently completed a business deal that gives me the means to comfortably afford up to pay about $100k cash (prefer to stay around 90ish) for a toy while still paying for the kids college, pay off a good portion of the house and give the investment guy a good chunk to play with, etc. So, with that out of the way, the question becomes, which one.

I currently, and plan to continue to, daily drive an 07 BMW 550. The 911 will be an after hours and weekend toy. I have driven an '07 turbo, an '09 C2S, a new C4GTS and a 991. The 991 was very nice and impressive in the electronic gadgets but left me a little cold. I felt almost the same way I feel about the new F10 Bmw 550's, faster but less fun.

I can get the new "leftover" GTS 4 for slightly over the desired budget but the new car warranty and all do have some appeal. i enjoyed the rawness of the car and could see myself having a blast with it. There is also an '11 C2GTS with low miles at the same dealer for about 90k.

The 997.1 turbos fall within the budget and was impressive to say the least. There are a couple of local options for '07 or '08 car with less than 10k miles for around $90k. The fact that these have already taken their big hit depreciation wise is attractive. The lack of a warranty and some concern about a 5 year old car with only 5k miles gives me a little pause.

The "practical", if you can call contemplating a purchase of such a toy such, side of me says I should pick up a 997.2 S in the 65-70k range and pocket the difference.

Sorry for the long winded manifesto. Anyone have any opinions on the "best" choice for my situation?

Thanks,

Derek
I'm a HUGE FAN of the 997 GTS and GTS 4 Coupe's. I think they're the best looking 911 to come out of the factory for some time and If I had the cash to spend on either a new 991 C2S or a new 997 GTS I'd honestly opt for the GTS. I think it's a more special car and if you like feedback in your Porsche the 997 has lot's to offer that's been tuned out of the newer 991.

Quick Reply: I am driving myself, and the wife, crazy. Yet another what to buy thread.