Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am driving myself, and the wife, crazy. Yet another what to buy thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Derek978
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question I am driving myself, and the wife, crazy. Yet another what to buy thread.

Some background:

I have wanted a 911 since I was 6. My parents gave me my 911 shaped piggy bank from 1981 this weekend. I have recently completed a business deal that gives me the means to comfortably afford up to pay about $100k cash (prefer to stay around 90ish) for a toy while still paying for the kids college, pay off a good portion of the house and give the investment guy a good chunk to play with, etc. So, with that out of the way, the question becomes, which one.

I currently, and plan to continue to, daily drive an 07 BMW 550. The 911 will be an after hours and weekend toy. I have driven an '07 turbo, an '09 C2S, a new C4GTS and a 991. The 991 was very nice and impressive in the electronic gadgets but left me a little cold. I felt almost the same way I feel about the new F10 Bmw 550's, faster but less fun.

I can get the new "leftover" GTS 4 for slightly over the desired budget but the new car warranty and all do have some appeal. i enjoyed the rawness of the car and could see myself having a blast with it. There is also an '11 C2GTS with low miles at the same dealer for about 90k.

The 997.1 turbos fall within the budget and was impressive to say the least. There are a couple of local options for '07 or '08 car with less than 10k miles for around $90k. The fact that these have already taken their big hit depreciation wise is attractive. The lack of a warranty and some concern about a 5 year old car with only 5k miles gives me a little pause.

The "practical", if you can call contemplating a purchase of such a toy such, side of me says I should pick up a 997.2 S in the 65-70k range and pocket the difference.

Sorry for the long winded manifesto. Anyone have any opinions on the "best" choice for my situation?

Thanks,

Derek
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well you came to the right place.... We are all crazy too, and cause lots of collateral damage with our spouses...

I think all of those choices are good ones. My advice is to pick the Porsche that feels right for YOU! Which one blows your hair back the most? Which one will excite you the most to drive, so much so that you can't wait for the weekend?

If I may add one more 911 to the list - consider the 07/08 GT3 or GT3 RS. If you think the GTS is raw, the GT3 is on another level.

Best of luck with the search. That is half of the fun.

-B
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Derek978
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT3 would be the top of the list if not for 2 little boys who are total car nuts and will not stand for always being left behind.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go for the regular GTS unless you really need awd.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

If you're looking for raw Porsche then definitely go GT3. You can get a gen1 for around high $70k-mid$80k depending on year, miles, ect. Or! You can reach up and snag a gen2 for around $110k. There is this certain 2011 Orange GT3 with 4500 miles at my local Porsche that sure could use a home and me for drooling on it every day for that matter! I know it is above your price point, but it's something to consider. Either way if you end up with either type of GT3 you will not go back, this baby will make you never want anything else again!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats on attaining the financial ability to acquire the 911 of your dreams. Many of us shared similar dreams here since an early age... I fulfilled my 911 dreams last year and I too struggled with selecting the right model, color, options, etc... it's both a blessing and curse to have so many different variants out there to chose from. One important factor and self discovery I came to terms with during my own search... the AWD Carrera drives differently than the 2WD Carrera. The AWD variant is more planted, heavier, and controlled whereas the 2WD variant was lighter, tossable, lively = had more of the fun factor I was looking for in a Carrera.

In the end I discovered that I wanted the RWD characteristics which the Carreras were known for... You could say that the 100's of trade rag articles along my path towards Carrera ownership instilled a bias within me for the Carrera RWD "quirk". I found myself actively searching during those test drives for that pendulum swivel characteristic of the Carrera's heavy rear engine design which I had read about all those years... I test drove many of the 2WD and AWD Carrera variants and even a mid engine Cayman S. None pulled at my soul like the C2S.

IMHO that C2S or the C2GTS would top the list unless you truly have some practical considerations such as living in a location with extreme weather conditions (snow, rain, etc) that would benefit from the (4)AWD capabilities within the turbo or C4GTS... I would stay away from high priced and low mileage cars that are out of warranty. They don't have enough miles on them to have worked out all the potential "infant mortality" issues leaving you to fund all the repairs out of pocket. Find a car with higher miles and/or one with warranty/CPO for peace of mind... GL and let us know what you finally decide on. BTW, the search for the right car is fun but ride is great.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

997.2 or Turbo. Turbo is pretty robust car, I wouldn't sweat the lack of warranty. You can always purchase a warranty from a 3rd party if you are that worried.

For fun, there is a 2010 GT3 with rear seats in the classifieds section. Same could be done with a 997.1 GT3.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlarocque
For fun, there is a 2010 GT3 with rear seats in the classifieds section. Same could be done with a 997.1 GT3.
Rear Seats in a GT3!? BLASPHEMY!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a nice CPO Carrera S for 80k and put the rest aside as a reserve fund for maintenance, wear and tear, fixing dings and dents. That way you won't be worried about it all the time. A GT3 is a great car but it's overkill as a street 911. Of all the cars you mentioned, the 2WD GTS would be my pick. Have you searched from porscheusa.com? There are some interesting pre owned models out there. I believe I saw one with a ducktail and PCCBs a few weeks back.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

TT. It's and awesome car. Refined yet a beast in sheeps clothing. Warrenty? I'm not to worried about THIS car given the history of the Mezger engine.
My advice? Start driving cars and your heart will tell you.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Find a nice CPO Carrera S for 80k and put the rest aside as a reserve fund for maintenance, wear and tear, fixing dings and dents. That way you won't be worried about it all the time. A GT3 is a great car but it's overkill as a street 911. Of all the cars you mentioned, the 2WD GTS would be my pick. Have you searched from porscheusa.com? There are some interesting pre owned models out there. I believe I saw one with a ducktail and PCCBs a few weeks back.
Agreed, also, spend some time and money taking road trips and doing some DE and AX events with your local PCA.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
997.2 or Turbo. Turbo is pretty robust car, I wouldn't sweat the lack of warranty. You can always purchase a warranty from a 3rd party if you are that worried.

god I want your car...
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I think all of those choices are good ones. My advice is to pick the Porsche that feels right for YOU! Which one blows your hair back the most? Which one will excite you the most to drive, so much so that you can't wait for the weekend?

-B
+1 to "pick what feels right for you"! Those are all great cars, depends on your own preference, PLUS, keep it within your budget.

09+ will give you better electronics, so keep that in mind with older Turbos, you get more car for sure, but have to maybe add Bluetooth, iPod connectivity aftermarket.

For used, definitely go for a CPO car... gives you peace of mind on your first Porsche (so skip those non-CPO cars).

Used 997.2 C2S in 70K range... why not? If you found a good one that has the options you love, plus the color combination... it's 90% of GTS and can be had for less... I wouldn't pass that by.

Bottom line, stay within budget, get the car that gets you going, and ensure if used, it's CPO (or has some warranty left).

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry to be borin..forget investment guy, pay off the house first
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was dropping that kind of coin on a toy, I'd buy a Ferrari, not a Porsche.
There's a nice one in the vehicle sale section right now - $85k.
You may need to be a member here to view it.

Quick Reply: I am driving myself, and the wife, crazy. Yet another what to buy thread.