Sponsored by:

Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:10 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Whether its a coupe or a targa its a great car.
But as for a manual transmission, they went out in the 60s.
Want to trade your DFI for a carburetor, right?
The 2013 Cadillac CTS-V comes standard with a 6-speed manual. A Cadillac!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

That's a nice looking Targa... I would have never considered white leather but it does kinda work with that car. I agree with Razr though - white is difficult to keep clean. Even my wife's beige leather in her pearl white Lexus started showing blue dye stains from our jeans after only 6 months. I've been tempted to wrap the seats with some Wet Okola's but the bluing had already made it's mark.

PDK vs. 6MT is a personal choice... while I can still row my own gears I prefer 6MT. Perhaps someday in the future it may be otherwise and PDK would top my list then I'm sure. BTW, 2wd is lighter and drives differently than 4wd. 4wd is more planed, however, and arguably more versatile for bad weather days/months depending on where you live. Mechanically 4wd also adds one more subsystem to the drive train to maintain/deal with over time.

I very much like the concept of the Targa glass top. Just wish Porsche made it in a 2 wheel drive configuration... A GTS with those wide hips plus a Targa top would be perfect. GLW the decision... frankly, I don't thing you can go wrong and it's nice that you have the opportunity to pick and chose.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 09-16-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:21 AM
buddy911t
Pro

I hate to throw water on the car but you said to be honest.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:24 AM
buddy911t
Pro

It looks like a nice car but the dash makes me think of a big chunk of white chocolate.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:24 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a beautiful Porsche, but it is very feminine like someone custom ordered it for their wife. I would also probably put some sort of seat covers on the front seats because that white interior is begging for transferred dye colors from clothes. Just don't ever wear blue jeans in that car.

My wife's BMW 535xi has a light interior which is a chore to clean, and more so now than when it was new.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 AM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Good:
- This is without a doubt, one stunning looking car.
- Save for maybe rear visibility, the Targa is probably the most practical 911 to have.
- That rear perspective with the wide hips and the swooping glass line is very, very elegant.

The Bad:
- Even most manual-addicts like myself can actually live with a PDK (I've learnt to be happy with the one of my '12 997.2S). But ONLY with the sports chrono option. In Your case this Bad's not so bad, since You can get it installed, minus the dash wart. And ah yes, get a sport exhaust by all means. The 997.2 DFI's stock exhaust is the closest-sounding thing to a high-powered hoover.
- In hot climates, the targa cabin can be a "hot" proposition!

The Ugly:
- For the life of me the one single element I can never get past on a 911 targa is the loss the iconic, curved, sensual 911 lower rear roofline behind the rear side windows. True, the Cab also loses this, but a 911 Cab has a different identity altogether.

In any case, as mentioned before, this is a very beautiful 911. Just make sure You keep a good stock of white pants to drive it !

Cheers,
Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 AM
David in Talent
Racer

In addition to noted preferred changes by other members, I would definitely change out the wheels. As someone else mentioned, a set of black Fuchs wheels like those that came on the Sports Classic 997 would look perfect on this car. All in all, as much as I like this car, I think that I would really tire of the interior after awhile...............
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 PM
secondsole
3rd Gear

That car is gorgeous - love the white on white... the Targa 4S is beautiful. Of course a little maintenance with the top, but so what. I would get that in a heartbeat - drive it., if you love it, buy it. I've had a 997.1 manual S, 997 Turbo, and just got a 997.2 4S - my FIRST PDK. There have been a couple times I've looked for a clutch, but you know what PDK is fantastic and the FUN of driving a 911 is NOT lost at all, it's just different, in a different way. PDK takes a little time to master as well, especially in Sport Plus (if equipped). Long story short, that Targa is stunning - buy it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I had a 993 coupe,996 cab,now 997 C4 coupe all sticks. My first choice would be a C4S Targa
Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Truly a beautiful car and different from any other i've seen. The interior white leather is a concern but if it suits your driving habits then go for it.
Having the car completed 40k miles will show any color change to the seating area. Treating the leather frequently would be a must.

Go for it man !
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Get the car you want. I'm hardly a Porsche expert, but add my thoughts.

I'm a fan of hardtops, mainly because they have a stiffer body and this means a better handling car and less weight. Adding as well I prefer two wheel drive dynamics. Perhaps this is more traditional Porsche feel. I'd say most prefer this.

I see more negatives. The white dash will add more glare, and I really like coupe's great rear visibility for a sports car. The targa seems a half comprise between the cab and coupe. I'd rather go with a one solution. From a style standpoint, IMHO the coupe has better lines than the targa and the 997 cab seems a tad lumpy. 991 seems to nail the cab look better. Really nice.

So go with your heart. But for me, I wouldn't let a rare color combo drive the decision. Driving dynamics will mean more. PDK would be an excellent choice, which makes mating it to a better and lighter chasis all the more important. I'll just roll the windows down to hear that flat six and focus on the driving.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 10-18-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Honestly? You asked for it: A Porsche without a proper manual gearbox is like Angelina Jolie without a vagina.
Honestly..... Palmbeacher You will never see either!

For those of us that have had to drive manual boxes most of our lives a trip or pdk is effing wonderfull!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
That's a nice looking Targa... I would have never considered white leather but it does kinda work with that car. I agree with Razr though - white is difficult to keep clean. Even my wife's beige leather in her pearl white Lexus started showing blue dye stains from our jeans after only 6 months. I've been tempted to wrap the seats with some Wet Okola's but the bluing had already made it's mark.

PDK vs. 6MT is a personal choice... while I can still row my own gears I prefer 6MT. Perhaps someday in the future it may be otherwise and PDK would top my list then I'm sure. BTW, 2wd is lighter and drives differently than 4wd. 4wd is more planed, however, and arguably more versatile for bad weather days/months depending on where you live. Mechanically 4wd also adds one more subsystem to the drive train to maintain/deal with over time.

I very much like the concept of the Targa glass top. Just wish Porsche made it in a 2 wheel drive configuration... A GTS with those wide hips plus a Targa top would be perfect. GLW the decision... frankly, I don't thing you can go wrong and it's nice that you have the opportunity to pick and chose.
what are 'wet okola's?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 AM
Norden Rennsport
2nd Gear

I absolutely love the blue 997 Targa 4S. do you have a thread detailing the exterior mods such as the beautiful wheels, body mods and retro style black accent on the rear haunches? Looks like the 997 speedster. I'd have similar wheels and styling on a 997.2 C4S personally. I wont copy you outright though ;-)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Norden Rennsport
2nd Gear

as much as i like the look of the white interior it is a nightmare to keep clean and the dye in clothing stains the seats easily. Also the bright white upper dashboard can be hard on the eyes when it reflects bright sunlight

Quick Reply: Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK