Sponsored by:

Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RazrPorsche
I like it! But that white might be hard to keep "clean". The sand beige picks up the dye from jeans for instance....maybe this would be different. It looks cool and unique though.

I've not seen one like it before. Did someone famous order it?
Wife and I have had light colored leather interiors without any problems. No other riders in the house but us and we tend to take very good care of our vehicles. Thanks for pointing that out though, something to consider. I would definitely have to do a personal inspection if I get serious.

Not sure who the original owner was.

Last edited by OhioLefty; 09-02-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

TRIPPY! black fuchs and wow
Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

I love them,way more practicle than a convertible,most high end companies are doing away with manual.
True everything car.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Whether its a coupe or a targa its a great car.
But as for a manual transmission, they went out in the 60s.
Want to trade your DFI for a carburetor, right?
I'm genuinely impressed that someone would not be embarrassed to make such a patently ignorant statement and propose such a laughably inept analogy. By show of hands, how many here wish they had a dollar for every high-end MT sports car manufactured and sold in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and to the present?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Chaos
most high end companies are doing away with manual.
True everything car.
Unfortunately, economics dictates that it's an older demographic than in the past who can afford high-end cars these days, replete with arthritic joints, fat bellies and lowered testosterone levels. That and the basic human nature to be lazy continues to be a major profit incentive for technology.

Porsche has indeed adopted an agenda of making the 911 a "true everything car". The danger in that of course is that there is no such thing, and as they broaden its appeal in one direction they restrict it in the opposite. At some point, brand loyalty and nostalgia no longer suffice. Whether that is already happening is a matter for discussion. In my locale, a noted hotbed for high-end supercars and home to the largest Porsche dealership in the states, the 991 is off to a rather lukewarm start, and whilst second-hand 997.2 PDK versions languish on the lot, those with proper manuals are in high demand...suggesting possibly that the younger demographic (who tend to purchase second-hand) are still more enthusiastic about a proper manual.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I love pdk. I used to be a manual transmission guy until I was rear ended several years ago and I had surgery to fix spine problems but I still have quite a bit of shoulder pain so driving a manual transmission car would put a lot of strain on my shoulder causing me more pain and taking away from having fun while driving. Plus I live in a city with a lot of stop and go traffic so pdk is more convenient in those situations too. If I didn't have shoulder pain I really would've liked to get a manual even if its not as fast as pdk.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Interesting observation Palmbeacher, in these parts demand for PDK is higher than manuals. The people who prefer manuals go for the GT(x) models. My RS is manual my C4S is PDK and I love it. I wish I had it in the track car. I've done heel and toe forever. Being able to shift as fast as a sequential and even mid corner is a huge plus on the track. I think the trend is obvious, the Ferrari and BMW ALMS cars are paddle shift, as is F1. I think they lead the way, can race cars not be called proper sports cars? I do agree that the evolution of the 911 has been towards a more versatile car. On the other hand a 991S is amazing on the track, as quick as a GT3 in spite of the comfort. So they have managed to provide a more versatile (daily driver) without sacrificing performance. Not a bad feat.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Interesting observation Palmbeacher, in these parts demand for PDK is higher than manuals. The people who prefer manuals go for the GT(x) models. My RS is manual my C4S is PDK and I love it. I wish I had it in the track car. I've done heel and toe forever. Being able to shift as fast as a sequential and even mid corner is a huge plus on the track. I think the trend is obvious, the Ferrari and BMW ALMS cars are paddle shift, as is F1. I think they lead the way, can race cars not be called proper sports cars? I do agree that the evolution of the 911 has been towards a more versatile car. On the other hand a 991S is amazing on the track, as quick as a GT3 in spite of the comfort. So they have managed to provide a more versatile (daily driver) without sacrificing performance.
True, all that is sacrificed is the visceral pleasure of being engaged with all one's limbs and brain co-ordination thereof in the act of driving. Not everyone buys a Porsche to win races. I am not saying I would never check the option box beside "automatic gearbox", merely that it will not be on a Porsche order form. One of the primary reasons I bought a Porsche was that it is one of the last sports cars to come with a proper manual. If that ever ceases to be, then I would much rather a Bentley or a BMW or a Mercedes.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I'm genuinely impressed that someone would not be embarrassed to make such a patently ignorant statement and propose such a laughably inept analogy. By show of hands, how many here wish they had a dollar for every high-end MT sports car manufactured and sold in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and to the present?
Thanks, Glad you agree with me!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:32 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Default More pics of the car for those who are interested

More pics of the car for those who are interested.

'09 Targa C4S - White / White Full Leather
Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
More pics of the car for those who are interested.

'09 Targa C4S - White / White Full Leather
I think that is a stunning car, and definately a custom ordered car.
I like the contrast of the interior, which appears to be in excellent condition for a 40k mile car.
The only option I noticed missing was Sport Chrono, but you can get around that with the sport button option. That's a must for full PDK enjoyment.
A one-of-kind car and a stunner!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by PHX 911
I think that is a stunning car, and definately a custom ordered car.
I like the contrast of the interior, which appears to be in excellent condition for a 40k mile car.
The only option I noticed missing was Sport Chrono, but you can get around that with the sport button option. That's a must for full PDK enjoyment.
A one-of-kind car and a stunner!
If I were to purchase this car, I would definitely have a dealer add the "Sport Chrono Plus" minus the dash Chrono Clock and "Sport Steering wheel". I would also upgrade the standard exhaust.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
The unique color combo is what got my attention. I realize it may not be for everybody but for some reason I'm sorta drawn to this car. Never thought I would want a White Targa with White Full Leather. Not saying this is the one, just got my attention. That's why I was asking for opinions.

Funny thing is, I've been looking mostly at Meteor Gray C4S with Black Interior. Big swing the other direction. Like I said, this one got my attention because I've never seen another one like it. Would I order one like this? Probably not. Will I end up buying this one? Who knows, but it really has me thinking.

Talk to me guys and gals...

That's hot!
I'd buy that in a second!
(Except for the PDK part).
Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
To me, the Targa is in "no mans land" between a coupe and cabriolet. Also, the rear visibly is terrible when the glass is retracted. Not a good thing on a $100k car. Be aware too that the 991 Targa is going to have a fully removable glass roof when it comes out soon. So it will be truer to the Targa of old.
+1 on the no man's land.

I'm skeptical that the interior combo will age well.

Also, OP, btw it's "piqued my interest"
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Targas are cool, rare, and different no matter what vintage of 911 (even 996). I find it very interesting that Porsche elected to make all 997 Targas widebody 4 cars. Even better.

Go for it.

Quick Reply: Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK