Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK

Title pretty much says it all. Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK. I found an '09 Targa 4S with 40k on the ODO that has peaked my interest. I never thought I would even consider a Targa but there is something about this vehicle that keeps drawing me back. It has a very unique color combo but lacks some options I want (PSE, Sports Chrono Plus and Sport Steering Wheel) but I know they can be added later.

This will be my first Porsche and I'm carefully considering my options in my search. I'm in no hurry and hoping to find just the right car.

Thanks for your input, good and bad.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Honestly? You asked for it: A Porsche without a proper manual gearbox is like Angelina Jolie without a vagina.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:11 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, the Targa is in "no mans land" between a coupe and cabriolet. Also, the rear visibly is terrible when the glass is retracted. Not a good thing on a $100k car. Be aware too that the 991 Targa is going to have a fully removable glass roof when it comes out soon. So it will be truer to the Targa of old.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Honestly? You asked for it: A Porsche without a proper manual gearbox is like Angelina Jolie without a vagina.
LOL! Great analogy considering I'll be sharing my new Porsche with my wife and she needs the PDK. I have driven both and I think I can live with the PDK for now.

Thanks for your input and honesty.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
To me, the Targa is in "no mans land" between a coupe and cabriolet. Also, the rear visibly is terrible when the glass is retracted. Not a good thing on a $100k car. Be aware too that the 991 Targa is going to have a fully removable glass roof when it comes out soon. So it will be truer to the Targa of old.
Good to know, thanks for your input.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

The targa model is real nice. Different from a coupe and cab. Not a compromise but different.

The PDK debate has been discussed so many times. You might want to search previous threads to get a full discussion on the pros and cons of PDK.

I like my Porsches with manual transmissions. As long as the left leg still works, that is what I will drive. But as many have said in previous threads, the PDK is a great transmission. But for now it would not be my choice.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

My wife wouldn't allow a PDK or Automatic Trans in the family.

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
LOL! Great analogy considering I'll be sharing my new Porsche with my wife and she needs the PDK. I have driven both and I think I can live with the PDK for now.

Thanks for your input and honesty.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 PM
uavcaymans
5th Gear

FWIW, I have a targa 4 997.1 and I love it. Are there creaks that need to be attended to once a year, yes. Is it a mix of convertible/coupe? absolutely.... All the convertible benefits with the look of a solid coupe. The best part is having the glass top closed when it rains and I still feel like I'm outside....

Its a car that does everything well, holds 2 sets of golf clubs, has more headroom for a possible rear passenger.... and its dead sexy (wide hips, silver trim outline). I have 57K miles on mine as of now and want to keep it well past 100k.

That's just my 2 cents! I feel 997 targas will appreciate or limit their depreciation due to rarity and the upcoming changes.

***I have a manual though... prefer it to auto or PDK anyday.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:07 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Get in it and drive it. See if it's for you.
Then be aware, and very wary everybody's prejudices.
For somebody who sees a Targa as 'no man's land', great. It's not for him.
That's why they make other models.
From my viewpoint the Targa is just a friggin ton of fun/smiles/beauty/sunshine and pleasure. Great utility. Great to drive any day. Great to use every day. That's why I have one.
Somebody else thinks they'll never own anything without three pedals.
Dandy! They make 'em like that for you.
I love the crisp shifts and the ability to customize the PDK. So....

On the Targa it is true, you give up some rear visibility with the glass retracted. (Like it's WAY worse than a cab with the top UP....not.) But maybe that's a deal breaker. OK
For me, I really don't like the way the the cab mucks up the lines of the car.
And the 991 cab is only worse. So, I'm not pulling one of those out of my checkbook.

Now, you should spend all of 10 minutes properly lubing the glass slide mechanism once or twice a year. So, if that sounds like a vision of hell, I would absolutely positively 100% recommend that you never ever ever get a Targa. 

Other than that..... I say drive what you like. And be glad for others who are doing the same. We're all bloody fortunate.

Best of luck with your selection.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Whether its a coupe or a targa its a great car.
But as for a manual transmission, they went out in the 60s.
Want to trade your DFI for a carburetor, right?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The PDK tranny is an incredible thing, and can be exploited like a manual in many ways. If you deal with congestion the PDK is a great relief to your clutch leg! The Targa top could become problematic in time. Many complain about rearward visibility when it is open--effectively giving you two layers of glass to attempt to look rearward through. They have a tendency to rattle as they age--but not always.

As a first Porsche it may be a little too specialized.

What colors?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:25 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 123 Posts

As a owner, I see no negatives on my targa. Good advice by Tom on lubing the tracks a couple of times a year. You get use to the limited visibility pretty fast. Regarding the 991 Targa, I really hope they don't go back to the removable top. The beauty of the 997 targa is the easy open/close of the top. I can't imaging being caught in the rain and having to pull over to put the roof on.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Targa

I owned both a Tip and PDK, both were GREAT, no complaints at all.
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The PDK tranny is an incredible thing, and can be exploited like a manual in many ways. If you deal with congestion the PDK is a great relief to your clutch leg! The Targa top could become problematic in time. Many complain about rearward visibility when it is open--effectively giving you two layers of glass to attempt to look rearward through. They have a tendency to rattle as they age--but not always.

As a first Porsche it may be a little too specialized.

What colors?
The unique color combo is what got my attention. I realize it may not be for everybody but for some reason I'm sorta drawn to this car. Never thought I would want a White Targa with White Full Leather. Not saying this is the one, just got my attention. That's why I was asking for opinions.

Funny thing is, I've been looking mostly at Meteor Gray C4S with Black Interior. Big swing the other direction. Like I said, this one got my attention because I've never seen another one like it. Would I order one like this? Probably not. Will I end up buying this one? Who knows, but it really has me thinking.

Talk to me guys and gals...

Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 AM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it! But that white might be hard to keep "clean". The sand beige picks up the dye from jeans for instance....maybe this would be different. It looks cool and unique though.

I've not seen one like it before. Did someone famous order it?

Quick Reply: Tell me your honest opinions good and bad of the 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK