Sponsored by:

Gundo Hack

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:31 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Mine in Jersey cost $350 a few years back, all in by a guy that knew what he was doing and did it within about an hour while i waited and watched.
Hey Sporty, I'm in NNJ and new to 911's. Any recos for Indy shops? And can you share where you had your mufflers done?

Sorry to be a pest, but I haven't dug into all of that yet and am coming due for some end of season maintenance. Any pointers are appreciated.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by heavysixer22
Hey Sporty, I'm in NNJ and new to 911's. Any recos for Indy shops? And can you share where you had your mufflers done?

Sorry to be a pest, but I haven't dug into all of that yet and am coming due for some end of season maintenance. Any pointers are appreciated.
So the mufflers were done in South Jersey, Trenton, Mufflex. Was about an hour or so more ride, but he knew what he was doing and was about $350 a few years back.
As far as Indy's go, I used to have a decent one, but he got too egregious with his billing after moving into a new facility and failing to resolve an issue after several attempts and way over billing me after a number of years of my loyal business. Anyway avoid Summit NJ, as there is another one or two there that I have not used but have attitudes. There are many other good shops in the area-where are you located? I can PM you some that i have heard of and the one I am currently using.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:23 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
There are many other good shops in the area-where are you located? I can PM you some that i have heard of and the one I am currently using.
I’m I Northern Passaic County up against the NY border, but I work in Central Jersey, so I cover a lot of ground.

The best shop I’ve identified looks to be Rennwerke in Elmsford, NJ / Westchester County. My wife works over that way so drop off and pick ups are doable.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:58 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by heavysixer22
I’m I Northern Passaic County up against the NY border, but I work in Central Jersey, so I cover a lot of ground.

The best shop I’ve identified looks to be Rennwerke in Elmsford, NJ / Westchester County. My wife works over that way so drop off and pick ups are doable.
I've had my old 996 get a muffler job done at Powertech Porsche over in Rockaway (I actually purchased the car from them)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I haven't read through the whole thread here but have you guys discussed Fister exhaust? He has extensive experience with the 'gundo' hack and he often has stock to send you a set and then you send yours back, with a core charge scenario.
Mine were done by him ~10 years ago. I'm not current on all this but it's probably worth checking out
Once he does the mod, the mufflers can go on DIY or any shop can make that swap
Fister
Old 11-05-2020, 01:51 AM
WTB997
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 24 Posts

Can anyone recommend a shop to perform this hack in the NYC or Queens/Brooklyn area? I have a 997.1 C2S and would like to do a 2” bypass weld between inlet and outlet. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2020, 11:08 AM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by WTB997
Can anyone recommend a shop to perform this hack in the NYC or Queens/Brooklyn area? I have a 997.1 C2S and would like to do a 2” bypass weld between inlet and outlet. Thanks in advance!
I would honestly just do the core exchange from FD motorsports. Plus you can pay them to ceramic coat the mufflers as well.
The following users liked this post:
msequence (11-06-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 05:47 PM
WTB997
Instructor

Just had my modification done at "31st Street Wheel Alignment, Muffler & Repair" in Astoria, Queens NY for $300. I called all the NY shops that were listed in other threads that had previously done the mod and for those that were willing to do it, quoted me around $600. I did the mod with the 2" stainless steel bypass tube between the inlet and outlet; not the third pipe coming out from the muffler that I have seen some others have done.

The car feels more visceral with less of the raspy exhaust note I was accustomed to since getting the car. Also feels like the car runs smoother and throttle response is more pronounced; more than likely it's just the deeper exhaust note in correlation with depressing the accelerator that makes me feel that way.

I would say overall great mod, looking forward to taking it up in the high rev range to test it out.

For anyone that has experience with this mod and PSE, is this the closest you can get to PSE sounding exhaust?

Last edited by WTB997; 11-05-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:53 PM
DZ Carrera
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
I haven't read through the whole thread here but have you guys discussed Fister exhaust? He has extensive experience with the 'gundo' hack and he often has stock to send you a set and then you send yours back, with a core charge scenario.
Mine were done by him ~10 years ago. I'm not current on all this but it's probably worth checking out
Once he does the mod, the mufflers can go on DIY or any shop can make that swap
Fister
After I read bunch of posts I decided to modify my mufflers at Fister. Just got them back. I sent my own mufflers to be modified. Didn't choose to ceramic coat them. It takes about 3 weeks for entire process, That includes UPS ground shipping. Mufflers are packed well so no damage. Welds look amazing. I am installing them very soon. Can't wait to hear them

Ironman88 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 12:42 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I had my Gundo done at a local muffler shop. I took them in in the morning, picked them up that afternoon and paid then something like $75.

Why in the world would anyone pay to ship 2 mufflers there and back, wait 3 weeks and pay Fister prices for something that any competent welder could do?
DesmoSD (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 03:18 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I had my Gundo done at a local muffler shop. I took them in in the morning, picked them up that afternoon and paid then something like $75.

Why in the world would anyone pay to ship 2 mufflers there and back, wait 3 weeks and pay Fister prices for something that any competent welder could do?
I can't speak for everyone but I am so sick of people doing cr@p work on my cars. with my Porsche, I have 0 tolerance for poor work. I drove 4 hours or so to FD to get mine done because I wanted to do it once and I wanted it done right without taking any chances with BS. I was NOT disappointed. I would do it again in a second. Darrin is rad and his products are solid. He has his situation down to an exact science, so you do not have to worry about anything really. That is why I did what I did at least.

I just dumped my indie because they couldn't even do a damn oil change right. They also installed X51 headers on my car using the old bolts and gaskets instead of using the new bolts and gaskets I provided. It was the second sloppy oil change they did on my car, so I am DONE with them. If I can find shops I can trust every time 100%, I am going to stick with them no matter what because I have been dealing with BS shops since 1993. FD is too far away but is that kind of shop IMO.

Last edited by jamesinger; 11-06-2020 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Added angry rant about my old indie. haha.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:33 AM
DZ Carrera
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I can't speak for everyone but I am so sick of people doing cr@p work on my cars. with my Porsche, I have 0 tolerance for poor work. I drove 4 hours or so to FD to get mine done because I wanted to do it once and I wanted it done right without taking any chances with BS. I was NOT disappointed. I would do it again in a second. Darrin is rad and his products are solid. He has his situation down to an exact science, so you do not have to worry about anything really. That is why I did what I did at least.

I just dumped my indie because they couldn't even do a damn oil change right. They also installed X51 headers on my car using the old bolts and gaskets instead of using the new bolts and gaskets I provided. It was the second sloppy oil change they did on my car, so I am DONE with them. If I can find shops I can trust every time 100%, I am going to stick with them no matter what because I have been dealing with BS shops since 1993. FD is too far away but is that kind of shop IMO.
I totally agree with you. Since I don't know anyone locally I could trust to cut and weld my mufflers I wanted to use most reputable place that's familiar with this mod. There are couple Porsche shops local to me but they would probably charge few hours plus materials. I wasn't in a hurry so I was willing to wait.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:44 AM
WTB997
Instructor

All points noted but some don't want to pay $600-$800 for some fairly simple welding. I’d understand working with a reputable body shop for paintwork/damage etc, but an under carriage exhaust weld job? Not worth the hassle to mail back and forth or price and having to dismount/mount mufflers at your own expense.

At $300 I think I overpaid but was worth it, in and out in about 2.5 hours.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:08 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

+1

Originally Posted by jamesinger

Not to take anything away from Darrin but car shops and muffler shops can replicate that for far less and with a faster turn around. IMO, it's unnecessary to pay a premium for a simple hack. Even powercoating can be done locally for a lot less; esp. A lot of shops in Southern California.

https://www.edhansonsmuffler.com/

Old 11-06-2020, 02:33 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by WTB997
All points noted but some don't want to pay $600-$800 for some fairly simple welding. I’d understand working with a reputable body shop for paintwork/damage etc, but an under carriage exhaust weld job? Not worth the hassle to mail back and forth or price and having to dismount/mount mufflers at your own expense.

At $300 I think I overpaid but was worth it, in and out in about 2.5 hours.
you mentioned 6-$800. Thats with the ceramic coating. just the mod at FD motorsports is $460. If I was local I would pay the little premium from a shop that works on porsche's and have done this mid before.

Quick Reply: Gundo Hack