Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer/pricing rant

I need to vent...

I've been looking for a bunch of months for the right car, lost a couple do to different reasons, etc. Thought I found the one on Sun. P Towson. '06S cab, yellow, brown, heated, 9k miles, CPO - $55k. I like the color and options, mileage is nice, but not critical, price is good. For ONCE a dealer who wants to move a car rather than sit on it for months. I call, talk to the guy, decide let's do it, offer $54k, deposit right now. He shuffles some paper and says oh sorry, we meant $65k. I told him he can forget 60s for an 06 and hung up.

WTF. Car's on cars.com, autotrader, his site, porsche.com all for $55k. Anyway, **** happens, life goes on and all that, just ticked off.

-Stef
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Sorry to hear this Stefan. It's total BS.

In addition to the natural cocoa leather, that car's got ceramic brakes so they might be able to get low 60s for it.

Of course that's no excuse for their "mistake" listing it $10K low on ALL the buying sites, including their own website, but I bet they'll get their new ask, or close to it.

The only way dealers will stop baiting is if everyone who calls them balks the way you did when they hear the new "switch" price. I'm glad you did what you did instead of saying, "Well how about $59k, then?"

Good work. There're lots of cars out there. You'll find the right one for you - and at a price with which you're comfortable.

Last edited by mgordon18; 07-24-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 AM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mistakes happen on pricing. A dealer doesn't price the vehicle on all the sites one at a time. The price is posted on the dealerships internal system and the other sites (cars.com, autotrader etc), pull the price from the dealer. Whatever the price is internally, that will be the price everywhere. It kinda sucks, but it does happen from time to time.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, if someone is specifically looking for PCCBs and/or really values very low mileage they might just get it. I spent half the day yesterday reading RL to see if the brakes should disqualify the car for me. Interesting this is that it's a very weird option set - no Bose, no nav but pricey brakes and short shifter. That and the yellow might make it a tough sell. Basically none of the other yellows on autotrader have moved in months.

Anyhoo, onwards...

Stef
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One call to the sales manager might get you their original asking price of $55K. It's worth a shot.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I have a similar car with ceramics but no sport chrono but silver over blue. It's, as you're yellow one, an enthusiasts car. It sounds like a great car. Sometimes you'll have to pay a bit more to get a real special one. There are 997s, with bare bone options, and then there are ones that have a magical combination that are hard to find. That's probably why they are asking top dollar for it. it's probably worth to the right buyer that wants a head turner. And the natural leather? Go check it out. Right Edgy?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I would try and call another salesperson at the dealership and see what happens. You never know, you might get a sales contract done at the price before they realize it
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Talk to the manager.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm willing to pay a bit more, but I just think 60s for an '06S is too high. Also to me PCCBs aren't worth anything extra, other people will feel differently.

S
Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
I'm willing to pay a bit more, but I just think 60s for an '06S is too high. Also to me PCCBs aren't worth anything extra, other people will feel differently.

S
PCCB's are an incredible braking system. It's one of my big stumbling blocks on getting a new 997.2 - finding another car w PCCB’s. There's the incredible stopping power, no dust, very little maintenance, and e groovy yellow calipers. Sure, if you damage a rotor there's some big bucks but how would you do that with every day use? Chances are you are not tracking a cab. If you are close, I would go and drive the car, speak with the Sales Manager, and make a deal. It's probably a striking looking car and the're not in a big hurry, yet, to sell it. There's 3 more months of warm, cab, weather left. There's two things that bug me 1) settling for a car less than I want, in other words compromising because of money, location etc... and 2) losing a special car because I didn't act fast enough to pony up the cash.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like another salesman whisphered in his ear that there's another customer willing to pay asking price with a lousy trade too, or whatever.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
PCCB's are an incredible braking system. It's one of my big stumbling blocks on getting a new 997.2 - finding another car w PCCB’s. There's the incredible stopping power, no dust, very little maintenance, and e groovy yellow calipers. Sure, if you damage a rotor there's some big bucks but how would you do that with every day use? Chances are you are not tracking a cab. If you are close, I would go and drive the car, speak with the Sales Manager, and make a deal. It's probably a striking looking car and the're not in a big hurry, yet, to sell it. There's 3 more months of warm, cab, weather left. There's two things that bug me 1) settling for a car less than I want, in other words compromising because of money, location etc... and 2) losing a special car because I didn't act fast enough to pony up the cash.
Well, I've done #2 and I'm trying to avoid #1. Car's a good 4h away, a bit far for a look see, but nice and close for a buy - definitely a plus.

Stef
Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

are prices really that strong right now - what's my car worth '08C2S w/9K miles CPO
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The brakes...worth it. Go for it.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
are prices really that strong right now - what's my car worth '08C2S w/9K miles CPO
They're definitely stronger than 2 years ago. I see guys here quote the deals they got on their cars in the past and that's not happening. I don't believe they're as strong as these guys think, although unique cars do sell faster than "safe" color combos. That said I'm also looking at a '09 with 30 k miles advertised at $64k that's been sitting for 2+ months and drooling over a '08 C4S CPO 30k at $69k.
All cabs.

So, it depends...

Stef

Quick Reply: Dealer/pricing rant