Sponsored by:

Dealer/pricing rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I'd drive the 40 mins just to go and check the car out. It's YELLOW and it will probably be striking but its the hardest color to sell and will most likely sit on the lot for the next couple of months until they go crap, summer's over... Now we HAVE to sell it. Patient grasshoppers, patience.

P.s. please post some pics if you do go to check it out. I'm curious as to what this mystery car looks like that has created such debate!
I'm out of town but if you want pictures just send your request to Steve Postol via email:spostol@porsche towson.com. He's their Sales Manager and is usually accomodating.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by stefang
And if buyer 1 and buyer 2 have the same amount of money available to spend on their toy, buyer 2 could then turn around and put on a PSE with the money saved and greatly annoy buyer 1.

Anyhow, great input on my tribulations here. Thanks everyone. I've moved on mentally from that car. Would have been nice, but oh well. I'm trying to remember how long I looked when I got my 88 targa, but I don't remember it to be quite as frustrating as this journey. Potentially I was also not as picky due to the significantly lower cost of entry.

Stef
Steff- Is your maximum budget $55K? If not I can't believe that they wouldn't sell you the car for $60K, and if it is really the car that meets your requirements, a $5K premium may be worth it. I know it's easy for me to say since it's not my money, but from a philosophical perspective I'd rather pay a little extra to get the car that I wanted rather than to get a deal on the car that met only some of my requirements. I'm out of town but when I get back I'd be happy to check the car out for you in person if you want.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:53 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The budget is stretchy. I'm obviously not alone in that, a bunch of amusing stories about budget creep on RL. Started at $50k all in (8% sales tax here). Then moved myself up to $54k pre tax with the first one that I wasn't fast enough on. Now figuring that I could go to $60k for the right car...
Thanks for the offer, but these guys didn't seem to be in the mood to negotiate at all, and I'm not going to go back with a higher offer. With the economy tanking again and fall coming, prices should be getting softer again anyway. I can wait.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I just emailed the dealer for pics. I gotta see this car!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 AM
fast1
Race Car

The budget is stretchy. I'm obviously not alone in that, a bunch of amusing stories about budget creep on RL. Started at $50k all in (8% sales tax here). Then moved myself up to $54k pre tax with the first one that I wasn't fast enough on. Now figuring that I could go to $60k for the right car...
Thanks for the offer, but these guys didn't seem to be in the mood to negotiate at all, and I'm not going to go back with a higher offer. With the economy tanking again and fall coming, prices should be getting softer again anyway. I can wait.
LOL I hear you about budget creep. I know it's tough finding the right used car, and that's the reason I always wind up buying new. I'm going to make my next purchase in January 2013. I'll probably wait until there's at least a couple of inches of snow on the ground, and then I'll contact nearby Dealers with my offer.
Anyway best of luck on your search.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Default Pics are up...

Ok. Here's the link to this car.

http://www.porschetowson.com/preowne...48350/info.php

Here's some email from the dealership: "The car was owned by my best client, who has an extremely large collection. He actually drives all of his cars, but even if he drove a different car every day, they'd never get a ton of miles.*
The car is certified, which would give you 2 years of warranty from date of purchase, up to 100,000 miles.*
The car is flawless.*"

It doesn't have a ton of over-the-top options but it has a couple of really nice ones like the full natural leather and the PCCBs. And let's not forget the smokey-joe tail lights. I can't tell from the pics if the lower sills have been painted or if they are black.

This is basically a year-old heading-turning C2S cab for 65k.

And the warrenty is worth, what - 3k? So really in fact it's coming in at 62k.

Check it out.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Sorry, but what're "smokey-joe" taillights?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Sorry, but what're "smokey-joe" taillights?
My word for the tail lights that are exta dark, almost black. And on re-examining the pics they may just be stock in this car. The pics are taken in very hot light and the lens looks like it clamped down, making the tailights look darker than they probably are.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Man, that's almost like buying a new car! I'd be hard to let that one go and I'm a new car guy.

Such a sharp color with a gorgeous inside....he'll get the bucks from someone.

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zeus993
It would be interesting to looks at the point of price resistance on these cars and see where on dropping the price you would sell cars faster and make more profit in the end. I would think that these guys need inventory turns to make it work. I would also claim that many of us would pay more if we simply liked the salesman we were working with. For example, I like the local sales guys here at the dealer so much that I get this feeling of cheating on them when I go to another indy dealership. Maybe I'm a softy or whatever but I'm in sales and I know that for me counts alot. I will give more discount to guys I like. I also would never simply blurt the final price out over the phone. I'd arrange an appt and have the guy come in, give him a cup of coffee, get to know him etc... Sure - there's hard-core price shoppers but in between them are interested guys who are excited and passionate about the cars. Perhaps a newby like Stefang, if he just met a passionate sales guy, would have driven the 4 hours, test drove the car, paid more for the car (which I believe is worth more than an average 997) and would be posting pictures as we speak. People always fall back to price when this enthusiastic passion factor is missing. How else can anyone otherwise compare, right? And many times they regret it. They just missed out on dealing with a true professiona salespersonl. Again, my 2 cents CND.
This is a very cool thread....I'm sorry I missed it up to this point.

The big differentiator in sales is the skills of the salesperson, what he says or does! If I have better skills than you I'll win every time. Hardly any salewspeople have great skills....good....maybe....but great.....NOPE!

Tom
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Man I must be getting old....I did see this thread before and posted much earlier.......oh well ....something else to think about.

I used to know a guy.....an artist really who did stained and leaded glass (I still know him but he's semi-retired and living in New Mexico now but he's a real genius with glass). He was sensational and relatively inexpensive and over the space of 15 years he did stained and leaded glass throughout our 1930s home as we renovated it extensively.

Well we dicided to replace our front door with a mahogony one and do a stained glass window on top and we picked one out from an old European factory that we saw in a magazine and he said he could repro that one exctly! My wife and I loved it too! When we heard the price ($9K) I got scared and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much but after we considered it we said OK and it's one of the nicest things we've ever done to the house. I get a jolt of pleasure every day and especially evening when I come home and see that door with a soft light shining through it and illuminating every single detail. How can you put a price on that daily pleasure...that value.

I agree that a car is different but I also believe that the same value proposition applies. I see it the way Purrybonker sees it.......if you love it you won't be sorry!

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
When I told my wife what I was going to buy, she asked what a Porsche could do that a Hyundai could not. To her, a car is just an appliance and nothing about my decision makes any sense.
Let's see if that reasoning works in reverse. "What's good for the goose" kind of thing...

Next time she goes to buy a new purse or a pair of shoes, give her a paper shopping bag, or a pair of crocs instead.

Note: do not attempt this on wives without a considerable sense of humor. Injury or death may result
Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO, convertible, sport chrono, PCCBs, full leather, less than 10 k miles, and in NY. If this car wasn't yellow, it would definately have been sold by now. $64k is a very reasonable starting point for the Northeast.
BTW, '09 "S" are still in the mid to high 70's up here without PCCB's, without full leather, and not convertible.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
If this car wasn't yellow,...
Ah, but it IS.

I'm not sure I agree with the year old car idea. In the end it's 7 years old, just been sitting a lot. Yes, wear and tear will be extremely low, but certain things (rubber) just age. I'm just not one to pay a huge premium for an ultra low mileage car, but that's a personal thing.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Ah, but it IS.

I'm not sure I agree with the year old car idea. In the end it's 7 years old, just been sitting a lot. Yes, wear and tear will be extremely low, but certain things (rubber) just age. I'm just not one to pay a huge premium for an ultra low mileage car, but that's a personal thing.
+1... I prefer a younger 2-3 yrs old car with higher miles... 30K-40K.

Quick Reply: Dealer/pricing rant