Sponsored by:

Dealer/pricing rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Stick to your guns on pricing. First one to blink looses. Let them come back to you with an offer. I am in the process of finding just the right car at the right price. Working with my dealer and told him what I wanted as I believe a car that he has is overpriced.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
And I rest my case. Money rules and taints all...

You've decided what's mportant to you.

Good for you.
Seems like an awfully acerbic response to the OP's very logical desire to save money. I am curious as to how you have come to equate paying full retail for cars with some ethical or moral high ground. Willingly paying full asking price on an item for which I could have paid much less is a concept that, frankly, bewilders me.

There is a term in the car business for people who pay full price without making any attempt to save themselves money. They're called "Lay downs".

It is not a term of respect.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

KBB the car with its options, write up your offer accordingly, and attach the documentation to support your offer. I read all 62 posts and it seems you'd really like this car. If they say 'no' again, what have you lost? Only a few more minutes of your time and a few more brain cells in frustration........worth a shot.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Seems like an awfully acerbic response to the OP's very logical desire to save money. I am curious as to how you have come to equate paying full retail for cars with some ethical or moral high ground. Willingly paying full asking price on an item for which I could have paid much less is a concept that, frankly, bewilders me.

There is a term in the car business for people who pay full price without making any attempt to save themselves money. They're called "Lay downs".

Acerbic it seems. - but if you allow me a further acerbity, the intial remarks that seem to offend you are really only in context of a world where monetary expediency is held in the highest regard to the exception of all other reason.

I'm aware that you are bewildered by a world where money or value is not held in the highest esteem, but I confess that that is a world in which I prefer to
live.

I'm making a point here (I think) about the absurdity of blowing x$ on an frivolous indulgence and then debating the extent of the x$ as a point of relative value. Arguing the fundamentally irrational to be logical by virtue of relative comparison.

You, sir are an idiot for blowing $70k on your Porsche, whereas I obtained the same Porsche for $60k - hence you suck, I rule.

Hyundai guy goes you "all suck". I paid $2k for a ride that accomplishes the same task.

The point I'm trying to make is that, aw forget it....
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 AM
scotsskier
Advanced

exactly. It appears they are easier to find in Porcshe world as well.

To the OP. Move on. Do you really still want to buy the car under a contentious arrangement? Really??? How long do you think it would take to find all the mysterious rattles??
Also, the dealer is under no obligation to sell at an advertised price (to those who seem to have that strange fixation if you take it to its logical conclusion it would also mean they could not discount it!. ). It is simply a starting point to draw showroom traffic...

Move on, there are better deals out there
Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by scotsskier
exactly. It appears they are easier to find in Porcshe world as well.

To the OP. Move on. Do you really still want to buy the car under a contentious arrangement? Really??? How long do you think it would take to find all the mysterious rattles??
Also, the dealer is under no obligation to sell at an advertised price (to those who seem to have that strange fixation if you take it to its logical conclusion it would also mean they could not discount it!. ). It is simply a starting point to draw showroom traffic...

Move on, there are better deals out there
Excellent advice!

Spec the car of your dreams and you will have many Rennlisters on the lookout.

Mark
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Acerbic it seems. - but if you allow me a further acerbity, the intial remarks that seem to offend you are really only in context of a world where monetary expediency is held in the highest regard to the exception of all other reason.

I'm aware that you are bewildered by a world where money or value is not held in the highest esteem, but I confess that that is a world in which I prefer to
live.

I'm making a point here (I think) about the absurdity of blowing x$ on an frivolous indulgence and then debating the extent of the x$ as a point of relative value. Arguing the fundamentally irrational to be logical by virtue of relative comparison.

You, sir are an idiot for blowing $70k on your Porsche, whereas I obtained the same Porsche for $60k - hence you suck, I rule.

Hyundai guy goes you "all suck". I paid $2k for a ride that accomplishes the same task.

The point I'm trying to make is that, aw forget it....
Well, right or wrong, the way I interpreted your posts was that you were saying that by not wanting to pay full retail, the OP was making the decision that money was the most important thing in the world to him (and thus saddling him with all of the baggage that comes with people who actually DO have that attitude).

Even when buying luxury items, not making any attempt to pay less just doesn't make sense--unless the opportunity cost of the time you used negotiating or shopping is higher than the savings. If that's the case in your situation, that's a good thing and I understand completely. BUT, I don't think that is your point.

Your point (I believe) is that because a Porsche is a totally unnecessary indulgence (I agree), that once you decide to waste money by purchasing one, making an effort to negotiate down an asking price by some marginal amount is irrational. This is where we disagree.

My point is that there is a big difference between making the conscious decision that I can afford to buy a luxury item that I don't need and the conscious decision that I will throw money away by making no effort to negotiate. I might decide that I have enough disposable income to buy a 911 but I doubt many people would decide that they have enough disposable income to flush money down the toilet--to me, that's the difference between the two. If buyer 1 gets the same car as buyer 2 but spent $10k more, then the benefit to the two buyers is the same but the $10k difference means that buyer 1 wasted his $10k.

So while I think I see your point, I just can't see it as a justification for willingly wasting money.

As a postscript, I also agree that I could make do with a Hyundai and it's funny that you picked that manufacturer in your response. When I told my wife what I was going to buy, she asked what a Porsche could do that a Hyundai could not. To her, a car is just an appliance and nothing about my decision makes any sense.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
Yup, they did yesterday afternoon. I do have the screen dump. But whatever. The rep said they might contact me to address the negative letter, but no guarantee. Not going to loose sleep over it.
Stefang - Sorry to read about your experience. Based on your posts I would think that you were negotiating on a used Chevy rather than a Porsche. If I were the sales manager at that dealership, I would have called you and apologize for the pricing error and sell you the car for $1K over their cost (purchase price + whatever expenses they incurred before offering the car for sale - e.g. new tires). That would almost certainly put the price in the upper $50s at the most, and maybe really close to the $55K that you are willing to pay. I guess reputation doesn't mean much to some dealers. Anyway, best of luck.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Smile

BUT, I don't think that is your point...
Your point (I believe)....
My point is that...
So while I think I see your point...
Actually, I'm not really sure what my point was to be honest with you, but thanks for trying to sort it out.

It just seems that money eclipses everything in the world these days, moreso now than ever.

I prefer to move money to the background when chasing my passions and interests.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Smile

dbl post
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If buyer 1 gets the same car as buyer 2 but spent $10k more, then the benefit to the two buyers is the same but the $10k difference means that buyer 1 wasted his $10k.
And if buyer 1 and buyer 2 have the same amount of money available to spend on their toy, buyer 2 could then turn around and put on a PSE with the money saved and greatly annoy buyer 1.

Anyhow, great input on my tribulations here. Thanks everyone. I've moved on mentally from that car. Would have been nice, but oh well. I'm trying to remember how long I looked when I got my 88 targa, but I don't remember it to be quite as frustrating as this journey. Potentially I was also not as picky due to the significantly lower cost of entry.

Stef
Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I prefer to move money to the background when chasing my passions and interests.
It is good to be in this position. Don't take it for granted. Just be careful what you say online. From your posts, someone might assume that you're rich. The current administration frowns on that and might decide to track you down.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
I guess I do not have the time, nor the stomach to spend a day at the dealer to buy a car.
I'm with you. I use to go through the negotiating dance at dealerships, but I haven't gone through that BS in about 10 years. The internet provides a wealth of information, so it's just a matter of doing your home work upfront and then make an offer via email or phone. I bought my last two cars that way and it sure beats the face to face BS.

I live about 40 mins from Towson Porsche, and I haven't heard much good about them. To be fair I have no first hand knowledge since I have never bought a car from them. They have only been in business for a couple of years. Valley Motors sold their Porsche franchise to Towson. My guess is that they made a mistake since the $55K price was about $20K less than they were asking for an '07 997. I doubt that it was a bait and switch, but very likely just a typo.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 584 Posts
Default It's a YELLOW car...

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm with you. I use to go through the negotiating dance at dealerships, but I haven't gone through that BS in about 10 years. The internet provides a wealth of information, so it's just a matter of doing your home work upfront and then make an offer via email or phone. I bought my last two cars that way and it sure beats the face to face BS.

I live about 40 mins from Towson Porsche, and I haven't heard much good about them. To be fair I have no first hand knowledge since I have never bought a car from them. They have only been in business for a couple of years. Valley Motors sold their Porsche franchise to Towson. My guess is that they made a mistake since the $55K price was about $20K less than they were asking for an '07 997. I doubt that it was a bait and switch, but very likely just a typo.
I'd drive the 40 mins just to go and check the car out. It's YELLOW and it will probably be striking but its the hardest color to sell and will most likely sit on the lot for the next couple of months until they go crap, summer's over... Now we HAVE to sell it. Patient grasshoppers, patience.

P.s. please post some pics if you do go to check it out. I'm curious as to what this mystery car looks like that has created such debate!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I personally find the search satisfying. Enjoy it and keep in mind whats at the end of the journey.

Quick Reply: Dealer/pricing rant