Sponsored by:

Dealer/pricing rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
The moment you decide to buy a 911 you're on a slippery slope...
Why would I pay more? Simple, to get the car. Some of the usual negotiating tactics don't apply. I can't just turn around and buy the same car someplace else. For this type of deal, there is the adage, don't let a few $k keep you out of a great car ($10k != a few for me).
so if $10k is only a few $ why are you not just ponying up the $65k???? and asking for views here??? If you think this is a great car and worth taking the additional hit, use your own judgement.....
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotsskier
so if $10k is only a few $ why are you not just ponying up the $65k???? and asking for views here??? If you think this is a great car and worth taking the additional hit, use your own judgement.....
$10k is NOT a few $k for me. Sorry, that was just software slang - "!" means not.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

$10k is NOT a few $k for me. Sorry, that was just software slang - "!" means not.
understood, in which case go back to my original post. If you valued it at $54k, then that is the value to you unless there has been some major change. Don't be fooled by "don't let a few $k keep you out of a great car" - it is only designed to get you to open your wallet further. Every additional k you pay now is an additional k you lose when you sell...
Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Ryan Perrella
Advanced

I need to vent...

I've been looking for a bunch of months for the right car, lost a couple do to different reasons, etc. Thought I found the one on Sun. P Towson. '06S cab, yellow, brown, heated, 9k miles, CPO - $55k. I like the color and options, mileage is nice, but not critical, price is good. For ONCE a dealer who wants to move a car rather than sit on it for months. I call, talk to the guy, decide let's do it, offer $54k, deposit right now. He shuffles some paper and says oh sorry, we meant $65k. I told him he can forget 60s for an 06 and hung up.

WTF. Car's on cars.com, autotrader, his site, porsche.com all for $55k. Anyway, **** happens, life goes on and all that, just ticked off.

-Stef
It's my understanding that any price listed is the price the car must be sold for. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, that absolutely sucks and there's no reason why you shouldn't be pissed.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Perrella
It's my understanding that any price listed is the price the car must be sold for. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, that absolutely sucks and there's no reason why you shouldn't be pissed.
I agree... clearly these guys are not playing nice so it's time to reach out to Porsche if you still want this car. What do you have to lose? You're already at odds with the p-dealer.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I agree... clearly these guys are not playing nice so it's time to reach out to Porsche if you still want this car. What do you have to lose? You're already at odds with the p-dealer.
True. Natch there are disclaimers everywhere, but I'll give them a call and see what they say.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
OK, I'm game. Would be a great retirement hobby... especially as a non-profit. We only make enough margin to cover our overhead(plus beer) so the govt can't tax us, source cars at auction, limit our clientele to word of mouth - other car enthusius only, refuse business to whomever we want(teenage daughters of movie stars), buy and post test drive write-ups(extended period of course) of the cars we've always wanted to drive - GT3/GT2/TT/Targa etc, then roll them over to others for their enjoyment. There's a perfect car for ever client... but sometimes our client have to roll thru several cars to find the right one. CarMatch.com... I'll throw in my mech time to service the cars - minor/major inspections, etc. Ahh... we can dream. Did we just derail this thread? Stef... you can be our 1st client. There we're back on track.
I love it. I'm off to check out a dealer license this Tuesday.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
It would be interesting to looks at the point of price resistance on these cars and see where on dropping the price you would sell cars faster and make more profit in the end. I would think that these guys need inventory turns to make it work. I would also claim that many of us would pay more if we simply liked the salesman we were working with. For example, I like the local sales guys here at the dealer so much that I get this feeling of cheating on them when I go to another indy dealership. Maybe I'm a softy or whatever but I'm in sales and I know that for me counts alot. I will give more discount to guys I like. I also would never simply blurt the final price out over the phone. I'd arrange an appt and have the guy come in, give him a cup of coffee, get to know him etc... Sure - there's hard-core price shoppers but in between them are interested guys who are excited and passionate about the cars. Perhaps a newby like Stefang, if he just met a passionate sales guy, would have driven the 4 hours, test drove the car, paid more for the car (which I believe is worth more than an average 997) and would be posting pictures as we speak. People always fall back to price when this enthusiastic passion factor is missing. How else can anyone otherwise compare, right? And many times they regret it. They just missed out on dealing with a true professiona salespersonl. Again, my 2 cents CND.
I agree 100%. Nothing sells like enthusiasm, passion and commitment....because it can't be faked! I get business just because of that....I know it. And it's rare!

Sales is such a magical profession that demands such complex and difficult skills to be excellent! But so much fun and rewarding as hell.

I love referring to myself as that (I also train people so that's a part of my job too!) and I'm proud of whatever success I've had to date.

Best,

Tom
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get back to them Monday with your offer. It is the end of the month.

I read more of the posts. There is a lot to some of the answers. Perhaps you are frustrating yourself needlessly. What you need to do right now is go to KBB or some other source and list the options and miles then get the trade in value of the car or some other way to judge the wholesale value on the car. This is really what it is worth. This is your reference to start negotiations at. If the car dealer paid $50K for a car that wholesaled at $40K, truly it is their problem and they will try to pass it on to the retail end. I don't think the dealer is that stupid. You are likely being lied to and why would you want to give your money to a bunch of liars? Anyway if you are that far apart on the offer, move on. Who cares why? There are lots of cars for sale. I will tell you, in case you have not read any of my previous posts, that I have purchased 4 cars at or near wholesale and never regretted any of the buys. I have to be patient and let a hundred go before I find the "one". It might take months. The yellow in my avatar was picked up this way. Good luck, but remember sales quotas close at the end of the month.

Last edited by sy308; 07-26-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

+1. The month end. The final push to the finish that loosens up the dealer's grip on their price.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

I'm very choosey when I buy a new to me, but used car. Color, spec, mileage, non-smoking, black leather, manual, blue/ white/ or grey in color, etc...

If I find a unit that meets all my specs (and I've yet to buy a $60K car) I'll easily plop down another 10-15% more than market value.

Your time has to mean something to you as well, especially since you don't enjoy the shopping process.

Now if you are very flexible on specs, etc., well it is quite easy to find a car that maybe has been in a fender bender, maybe has the wrong colors, etc.. from someone that just needs to sell it BADLY and score a great deal.

I'm holding out for the right car for myself but I am always shopping and ready to pounce on the right one. Under 20K miles, 997 2S, manual, black leather, well optioned, and preferably with some well chosen modifications already added. Especially a proper forged wheel would be welcomed w/ some proper offsets. OEM Porsche wheels look like cheap sand cast crap to my eyes, which is what they apparently are.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan Perrella
I believe this to be correct. In fact, it is fraudulent for the dealer to continue to post the original price after the alleged error has been brought to his attention. I would not hesitate to contact Porsche and lodge a complaint. The critical piece of informaiton you need is how long they continued to advertise the car at 55K after telling you that price was incorrect. This is a serious matter. I think you can get this car for $55k
Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, no go. I was told by a lovely Porsche rep that since the dealers are independent, they can do what they want. She did however take down my complaint so that a note can be sent to the GM of the dealership, who, according to her, don't like getting those kind of notes. That alone was worth it.

Stef
Old 07-26-2012, 03:34 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, no go. I was told by a lovely Porsche rep that since the dealers are independent, they can do what they want. She did however take down my complaint so that a note can be sent to the GM of the dealership, who, according to her, don't like getting those kind of notes. That alone was worth it.

Stef
It looks as if they've updated the price if I'm looking at the right car - $64.9
Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, they did yesterday afternoon. I do have the screen dump. But whatever. The rep said they might contact me to address the negative letter, but no guarantee. Not going to loose sleep over it.

Quick Reply: Dealer/pricing rant