Dealer/pricing rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
On the one hand you make a good poiint.
On the other hand, when I think about what I have to do to earn 10 grand in take-home pay, I sure as hell don't want to give it away to some slimy car dealer. It takes some of the fun out of the car, house, whatever, if I know I was taken advantage of in obtaining it.
And I rest my case. Money rules and taints all...

You've decided what's mportant to you.

Good for you.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A refreshing, if somewhat unrealistic attitude. Money is always an object and everyone wants to get value for the money. I could buy the car for $65k, true, but if I wanted to spend $65k, I'd buy a different car. So good for you that you think $10k is chump change.

Anyway, dealership came back assuring me that they were not trying a bait and switch. I just really think they need to change whoever they're using for their web management, seeing that the price is STILL wrong. Also, this should be a good indication to them how desirable the car really is by now, given the low, low, unbeatable price :-) So I reiterated my offer of $55k, pointed out that the other 2 yellow/brown cars on the web have been for sale for months and left it at that.

Stef

Last edited by stefang; 07-25-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
A refreshing, if somewhat unrealistic attitude. Money is always an object and everyone wants to get value for the money. I could buy the car for $65k, true, but if I wanted to spend $65k, I'd buy a different car. So good for you that you think $10k is chump change.

Anyway, dealership came back assuring me that they were not trying a bait and switch. I just really think they need to change whoever they're using for their web management, seeing that the price is STILL wrong. Also, this should be a good indication to them how desirable the car really is by now, given the low, low, unbeatable price :-) So I reiterated my offer of $55k, pointed out that the other 2 yellow/brown on the web cars have been for sale for months and left it at that.

Stef
I think that is a good approach.

I remember making an offer to RPM Sports Car many years ago to purchase a low mileage 993. They had it on their lot for a few months and I made what I thought was a reasonable offer based upon what I was seeing similar cars sell for. They told me they had another buyer who just offered them more and that they were going to accept. I said, congrats on finding a buyer and good luck. 8 Months later that car was still for sale for the same asking price and about a month later it finally sold. Dealers play games, I don't care how good or respectable they are, they play games.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Point of price resistance and inventory turns...

It would be interesting to looks at the point of price resistance on these cars and see where on dropping the price you would sell cars faster and make more profit in the end. I would think that these guys need inventory turns to make it work. I would also claim that many of us would pay more if we simply liked the salesman we were working with. For example, I like the local sales guys here at the dealer so much that I get this feeling of cheating on them when I go to another indy dealership. Maybe I'm a softy or whatever but I'm in sales and I know that for me counts alot. I will give more discount to guys I like. I also would never simply blurt the final price out over the phone. I'd arrange an appt and have the guy come in, give him a cup of coffee, get to know him etc... Sure - there's hard-core price shoppers but in between them are interested guys who are excited and passionate about the cars. Perhaps a newby like Stefang, if he just met a passionate sales guy, would have driven the 4 hours, test drove the car, paid more for the car (which I believe is worth more than an average 997) and would be posting pictures as we speak. People always fall back to price when this enthusiastic passion factor is missing. How else can anyone otherwise compare, right? And many times they regret it. They just missed out on dealing with a true professiona salespersonl. Again, my 2 cents CND.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, the reply I got was that at $55k they'd be selling at a loss. At the same time, no counter offer was forthcoming. I agree, the car is worth more than an average car out there, but to me not $65k. I would pay more than 55, but since there seems to be no movement on their side I'm not going to up the offer either.

Stef
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
It would be interesting to looks at the point of price resistance on these cars and see where on dropping the price you would sell cars faster and make more profit in the end. I would think that these guys need inventory turns to make it work. I would also claim that many of us would pay more if we simply liked the salesman we were working with. For example, I like the local sales guys here at the dealer so much that I get this feeling of cheating on them when I go to another indy dealership. Maybe I'm a softy or whatever but I'm in sales and I know that for me counts alot. I will give more discount to guys I like. I also would never simply blurt the final price out over the phone. I'd arrange an appt and have the guy come in, give him a cup of coffee, get to know him etc... Sure - there's hard-core price shoppers but in between them are interested guys who are excited and passionate about the cars. Perhaps a newby like Stefang, if he just met a passionate sales guy, would have driven the 4 hours, test drove the car, paid more for the car (which I believe is worth more than an average 997) and would be posting pictures as we speak. People always fall back to price when this enthusiastic passion factor is missing. How else can anyone otherwise compare, right? And many times they regret it. They just missed out on dealing with a true professiona salespersonl. Again, my 2 cents CND.
Well stated and many of the reasons I made 4 of my prior BMWs transactions with the same owner at an Independent Reseller. He only sold Porsche/BMW, was a true car guy, and I considered him a friend. I fact his enthusiasm was catching... price was a point of discussion vs. a point of negotiation. He had low overhead so I could source cars from him at the best prices up front and with my favorite Indy mech adjacent to him to do a PPI I was in car a purchasing haven. Fast forward to 2008... times were tough so my Indy Reseller friend had to go back to his prior career in IT to make ends meet. When I was ready to pull the trigger on a p-car I was left with local and remote p-dealer sales staff that were soulless in a field that required soul speed. At that point it becomes a clinical pricing exercise... pricing becomes the commodity of value where personal service/product knowledge is lacking/missing. I envy those who have a great rapport with their salesman... sadly it's becoming harder to find for me.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Maybe you and I should go sell Porshces. Wouldn't that be a blast?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

OK, I'm game. Would be a great retirement hobby... especially as a non-profit. We only make enough margin to cover our overhead(plus beer) so the govt can't tax us, source cars at auction, limit our clientele to word of mouth - other car enthusius only, refuse business to whomever we want(teenage daughters of movie stars), buy and post test drive write-ups(extended period of course) of the cars we've always wanted to drive - GT3/GT2/TT/Targa etc, then roll them over to others for their enjoyment. There's a perfect car for ever client... but sometimes our client have to roll thru several cars to find the right one. CarMatch.com... I'll throw in my mech time to service the cars - minor/major inspections, etc. Ahh... we can dream. Did we just derail this thread? Stef... you can be our 1st client. There we're back on track.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well get going already. I'm tired of dealing with knuckleheads!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Originally Posted by purrybonker
You guys are all far TOO OBSESSED with money. Find what you want in life and go and get it. I don't care if it's cars, women or art. Who the hell cares whether you blow your brains out for $65k or $55k on some ridiculous piece of drivng (or other) pleasure?

Everything over the price of a 2006 Hyundai Elantra is all sunk money anyway- figure it out. Buying a Porsche is implicitly about not getting a deal, no matter how good of a deal you get.

Make a decision to either chase a passion or pack your bags and go home...
and there you have the reason why Pcar salesman always think they can find someone who will pay over the odds..
Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Well, the reply I got was that at $55k they'd be selling at a loss. At the same time, no counter offer was forthcoming. I agree, the car is worth more than an average car out there, but to me not $65k. I would pay more than 55, but since there seems to be no movement on their side I'm not going to up the offer either.

Stef
Stef. You are already on the slippery slope. You had already valued the car at $54k. Why would you now pay more than $55k? Rule No. 1 of car buying....
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
As a professional salesperson, I agree completely.

I have been known to add a $5K '******* fee' to the cost of my products from time to time. It's more to get them to NOT buy from me. Fortunately, I appreciate the vast majority of my customers and count many of them as friends and rarely have to resort to this tactic.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
As a professional salesperson, I agree completely.

I have been known to add a $5K '******* fee' to the cost of my products from time to time. It's more to get them to NOT buy from me. Fortunately, I appreciate the vast majority of my customers and count many of them as friends and rarely have to resort to this tactic.
$65K for on '06 car? that is what '09 car should cost now.

for trade-in on my car they show from $34k to $36k. 'S' would be hardly $3-4K more. so do your math on 'selling with a loss' at 55k. those cars are old now. with bad engines that blow. any 997.1 street cars are not worth any money above $40k now in my opinion, and even that is a russian rulette.
if you want a good car - shop for 996 gt3 car in $50k-$60k area or shop for 997.1 gt3 in $60k-$70k area. i would boycott any 997.1 street cars now, those unfortunate ones who will get one with good milage will face no warranty support and blown motor with no core to provide back to factory - means $40K new crate motor.

997.2 cars are fine, those DFI engines do not seem get torn rods and they have no IMS, so, they should be fine for a while now.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scotsskier
Stef. You are already on the slippery slope. You had already valued the car at $54k. Why would you now pay more than $55k? Rule No. 1 of car buying....
The moment you decide to buy a 911 you're on a slippery slope...
Why would I pay more? Simple, to get the car. Some of the usual negotiating tactics don't apply. I can't just turn around and buy the same car someplace else. For this type of deal, there is the adage, don't let a few $k keep you out of a great car ($10k != a few for me).
Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM
hakaida702
Racer

The moment you decide to buy a 911 you're on a slippery slope...
Why would I pay more? Simple, to get the car. Some of the usual negotiating tactics don't apply. I can't just turn around and buy the same car someplace else. For this type of deal, there is the adage, don't let a few $k keep you out of a great car ($10k != a few for me).
A couple thousand difference for a car that has everything or almost everything you want should be ok if you can swing it, but some people have a hard cap on how much they can spend. And for cars this expensive, I was surprised by how little some dealers were willing to budge on price. I finally found a car that was low priced for its mileage and style (GTS) but it was slightly over my budget for a carrera C2S and I pulled the trigger as it was too good to pass up. Comparable cars were on average 10 to 15k higher so I feel even though I didn't get much off the list price (they dropped the asking price several times before I saw the ad) I am happy with my transaction.

Quick Reply: Dealer/pricing rant