997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De Badging De Rigueur in Deutschland

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly! Take a wet towel and place on top of the **** let it become moist and before wiping off apply more water and try to pick it off not wipe. Bird **** has sand and rocks since to get full they eat anything they can.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by krysFly
On a lighter note. How does everyone deal with bird poop. I had one just before a big meeting, so I had to get it clean quickly, but how?
The question is do you rub it off, scrape it off with your nails, or just drive off. Damn you bird!
I keep a small sample sized bottle of Meguiars Qwik detailer and a towel in the frunk. Mothers makes a similar product. Spray the poop liberally, let it dissolve the stuff a little then gently wipe off. The detailer has lubricants in it to help protect the finish when you wipe it off. Works well for me....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-22-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 AM
rickmdz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
You speak of rants getting in the way of facts, here's one for you, FACT, There is NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE OF ANY DANGER FROM SECONDHAND SMOKE, yes it smells, and I hate to be exposed to it, but lets not get crazed over this issue!
Wait, what?? Where do you get your facts? Faux News?

This one will summarize for you:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21365795

Originally Posted by stubenhocker

Leftists, never let the facts get in the way of their emotions...
Did you say facts? Try again...
Old 07-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I've noticed a change in Italian driving habits since my last visit five years ago. Speed limits have been reduced in tunnel areas and autostrada areas with curves.
Italians are behaving much more civilized than they used to. The 130 kph autostrada limit is about perfect for the most part. When the speed limit drops to 100 kph due to curves - believe the number! Pushing the little Audi much beyond 110 on a 100 kph corner required some effort.
Do not thanks Italians (and I am Italian) but thanks the “Tutor”.
Tutor is a system that controls, on highway, the average speed between two “portals” (for each single car)
http://www.autostrade.it/en/assisten...ico/tutor.html
Beside this, what helps to convince people reducing speed, are speed tickets in place.
Less than 10km/h (*over the limit): 50 USD
Between 10km/h and 40 km/h*: 200 USD
Between 40km/h and 60 km/h*: 600 USD + 1/3 month driving licence suspended
Over 60km/h*: 950 USD + 6/12 month driving licence suspended

Italian secondary or provincial highways are a riot, particularly in Tuscany. 90 or 100 KPH limit where the curves often allow for little more than 40 and the road is barely wide enough for two cars to pass in opposite directions.
Consider that the limit is not the suggested speed and for a relevant period of the year those reads are completely empty. Without curves there is no fan, by the way.
But I agree with you that looks challenging compared to the 55 MPH on a never-ending straight road I used to take when working in Bmore and landing in DC.

I noticed that Mercs, Porsches, Audis and BMWs are very frequently debadged in Germany. Seems to be the thing to do. Spotted a couple of 991's with completely bare rear ends.
Quite common. In Italy they say “Badges will not make the car faster. Just heavier”.
One of the biggest complaint on the 991 here in Europe it’s the poem they decided to stick on the rear of the car.

I also noticed that very few of the German cars tend to be the "high performance" version. Very few AMGs, M series or RS series cars and 997s tended to be vanilla rather than "S" or turbo models. Thats a bit ironic and also a bit edifying considering the differences in speed limits and road conditions between Europe and North America.
When you have to pay, for instance in Italy a “normal” 997 4S “naked’ 150.000 USD or a A5 RS starting from 100.000 USD you have the answer.
Not different with M3 (starting from 86.000 USD).
And when I say "naked" I mean "naked". In US they have a lot of optional packages included in the starting price.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ale_72
I agree with you that looks challenging compared to the 55 MPH on a never-ending straight road I used to take when working in Bmore and landing in DC.
Thanks for the remarks. I really love the European driving experience vs North America, in many ways it epitomizes the lifestyle/attitude differences between the continents.

For all of our trumpeting about freedom in North America while cackling about European "nanny states" and a prevailing sense of entitlement, the opposite seems to be true in many perspectives.

Driving is an excellent example. Drivers in Europe are expected to take greater responsibility for their own behaviour in comparison to the rule enforcement approach used here.

In Europe freeways and roads have no or sometimes scary high speed limits, people are expected to use good judgement regarding road conditions and their own abilities. Traffic enforcement is almost non-existent compared to North America.

In many European cities (noteably in Italy and France) driving lanes are often unmarked or arbitrary. Traffic ebbs and flows with a sense of sharing the road prevailing between drivers. Try driving around the Arc de Triomphe traffic circle or down just about any roadway in Milan and notice how vehicles and bicycles weave amongst each other fluidly.

Every time I return from a trip to Europe I feel like I've stepped into a world running in slow-motion. Our highways littered with cops, ludicrous speed limits and high horsepower vehicles really is silly in comparison.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the remarks. I really love the European driving experience vs North America, in many ways it epitomizes the lifestyle/attitude differences between the continents.

For all of our trumpeting about freedom in North America while cackling about European "nanny states" and a prevailing sense of entitlement, the opposite seems to be true in many perspectives.

Driving is an excellent example. Drivers in Europe are expected to take greater responsibility for their own behaviour in comparison to the rule enforcement approach used here.

In Europe freeways and roads have no or sometimes scary high speed limits, people are expected to use good judgement regarding road conditions and their own abilities. Traffic enforcement is almost non-existent compared to North America.

In many European cities (noteably in Italy and France) driving lanes are often unmarked or arbitrary. Traffic ebbs and flows with a sense of sharing the road prevailing between drivers. Try driving around the Arc de Triomphe traffic circle or down just about any roadway in Milan and notice how vehicles and bicycles weave amongst each other fluidly.

Every time I return from a trip to Europe I feel like I've stepped into a world running in slow-motion. Our highways littered with cops, ludicrous speed limits and high horsepower vehicles really is silly in comparison.
+1 Nicely stated.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Aint that the truth. My beef with drivers and freeways here is that people drive 55 in the fast lane - so you over taking on the right and there is more weaving in general. Thats more dangerous. In germany, you cant sit in the fast lane and cant overtake on the right (isnt that correct?). People also seem less considerate here and arent as aware of what others are doing, as in other parts of the world. Sometimes i wonder why i have a high pwered C2S . I'd love to stretch its legs once in a while or at least more often..

Quick Reply: De Badging De Rigueur in Deutschland