Sponsored by:

De Badging De Rigueur in Deutschland

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De Badging De Rigueur in Deutschland

Flew into Frankfurt, picked up an A3 and leisured my way around Europe, couple of weeks in Germany, couple weeks in Italy plus another couple of weeks in Austria, Switzerland, France and Monaco. Fun trip.

I've noticed a change in Italian driving habits since my last visit five years ago. Speed limits have been reduced in tunnel areas and autostrada areas with curves.

Italians are behaving much more civilized than they used to. The 130 kph autostrada limit is about perfect for the most part. When the speed limit drops to 100 kph due to curves - believe the number! Pushing the little Audi much beyond 110 on a 100 kph corner required some effort.

Italian secondary or provincial highways are a riot, particularly in Tuscany. 90 or 100 KPH limit where the curves often allow for little more than 40 and the road is barely wide enough for two cars to pass in opposite directions.

German roads are a work of art and Germans abide by the rules. Autoban driving at more than about 140 is work because of the constant need to brake and lane change due to huge differences in vehicle speeds.

I noticed that Mercs, Porsches, Audis and BMWs are very frequently debadged in Germany. Seems to be the thing to do. Spotted a couple of 991's with completely bare rear ends.

I also noticed that very few of the German cars tend to be the "high performance" version. Very few AMGs, M series or RS series cars and 997s tended to be vanilla rather than "S" or turbo models. Thats a bit ironic and also a bit edifying considering the differences in speed limits and road conditions between Europe and North America.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not really surprising.

In Germany, the annual registration fee is based upon the capacity of the car: bigger displacement means more fees/taxes.

Also, in Germany, most new car purchases are built to order - even with VW and Audi you get Porsche style 'pick everything from the menu' ordering. As such, its quite common for Germans to order the 'no badge' option that leaves of the extra badge plastic. They were not likely debadged, and more likely never came with a badge. Its easier to wash and wax that way.

And given you can drive just fine with a 3.6l on the autobahn, why pay the extra expense for a 3.8l... so I'd expect to see less S versions there as well. Germans are not as hung up on 'more power' as we in the States are. You can have a blast driving just a VW Golf GTI there at 110mph.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for sharing... it's been 5 yrs since I drove on the Autobahn. Rental car at the time was a BMW 5 series. Nice roads and beautiful countrysides.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purrybonker
....I noticed that Mercs, Porsches, Audis and BMWs are very frequently debadged in Germany. Seems to be the thing to do. Spotted a couple of 991's with completely bare rear ends.

Oh, no we were told this was IMPOSSIBLE on the 991, right here on RL, and was a reason to avoid buying it!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

I go to Germany fairly frequently and I do notice that most BMW's, Mercs and Audis are plain vanilla or diesel models...probably due to the $6 or $7 a gallon they pay for gas. Plus, as much fun as it is, have you noticed how fast the gas needle races to empty at speeds over 125 mph?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I've had pretty decent fuel economy on the 'Bahn in the past...
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Germans are more and more influenced by peer pressure. Thus, they don't want to flaunt any perception of wealth by others of them by things like "V12" on their MBs, or even an "S" on their Carreras. They want to keep below the radar screen so that the Green Peace gangs don't target their cars. It's another reason why you see very plain jane Carreras in Germany today compared to the 1970s when over the top colors were in vogue. (This photo shows the back parking behind the factory delivery center. Most are Europeans' cars--you don't see much flashiness back there anymore).
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Green Peace gangs....?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Germans are more and more influenced by peer pressure. Thus, they don't want to flaunt any perception of wealth by others of them by things like "V12" on their MBs, or even an "S" on their Carreras. They want to keep below the radar screen so that the Green Peace gangs don't target their cars. It's another reason why you see very plain jane Carreras in Germany today compared to the 1970s when over the top colors were in vogue. (This photo shows the back parking behind the factory delivery center. Most are Europeans' cars--you don't see much flashiness back there anymore).
Nobody should have to bend to peer pressure (positive or negative) in making a car purchase decision. If I want to go out and buy an econobox, I will. Likewise, if I want to buy a blinged-out Hummer that gets 2 MPG, I will.

I had to grow up with a "what would the neighbors think?" type of mentality with my parents. Screw what the neighbors think. Nobody should have to care what anybody else thinks about their purchases except themselves.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Good and correct attitude but I'm not sure others in your State feel the same way.

Originally Posted by csorrows
Nobody should have to bend to peer pressure (positive or negative) in making a car purchase decision. If I want to go out and buy an econobox, I will. Likewise, if I want to buy a blinged-out Hummer that gets 2 MPG, I will.

I had to grow up with a "what would the neighbors think?" type of mentality with my parents. Screw what the neighbors think. Nobody should have to care what anybody else thinks about their purchases except themselves.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

My car is a plain Jane Guards Red... so it doesn't stand out too much.

Good to live in the "Land of the Free... Home of the Brave."
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by boolala
Oh, no we were told this was IMPOSSIBLE on the 991, right here on RL, and was a reason to avoid buying it!
Did someone actually say it was "impossible" to de-badge the 991, or is that simply your lowly way of posing an argument?

What people are observing quite correctly is that the 991 badging is atrociously tacky and gauche, and points to the demographic for whom Porsche intends the car: those who insist on an assurance that no-one literate will be unclear as to what kind of car they are driving. That's rather sad, as the 991's shape certainly remains quite iconically Porsche.

The badging is easily removed, and hardly a reason to avoid buying the car. There are enough other, unmitigable issues to dissuade buyers.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Good and correct attitude but I'm not sure others in your State feel the same way.
Right, because nobody in CA buys expensive cars....
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

California is the most controlling and most politically correct State in the U.S. Are you trying to say that the liberals that make up the majority of the State aren't passing legislation that restricts your freedom? (Too stupid so I'll make the decision for you mentality) Don't think they won't turn on your beautiful cars and women.

What was the latest? Illegal to smoke in your own apartment/home? California is full of hypocrites. Let's spend millions of Dollars to save Willie but let a bunch of kids starve to death because it makes me feel good to save a whale. How about throwing the whale back into the sea and make fish food for all the other fish then we can take the money and save some kids?

Just because you might be a burnout Conservative from Northern California doesn't mean your State is Conservative. They'll eventually turn on you and your cars if you're not careful or move to Nashville.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Right, because nobody in CA buys expensive cars....
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
My car is a plain Jane Guards Red... so it doesn't stand out too much.

Good to live in the "Land of the Free... Home of the Brave."
I remember that place!:roll eyes:

Tom

Quick Reply: De Badging De Rigueur in Deutschland