Sponsored by:

De Badging De Rigueur in Deutschland

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The initial complaint made about smoking in a restaurant was that patrons had to smell the smoke, so that's what was addressed.

That said, people are also free to work where they want and not work where they don't. No one makes you work at a place where smoking is allowed. Are we gonna say close all strip clubs because a waitress is offended by the appearance of bare skin?
Not exactly. The initial complaint was that I objected to second hand smoke; I didn't generalize about anyone else. Others did that.

That said, your example of a waitress offended by bare skin in a strip club is a straw man. Notwithstanding the link above to information from the Heartland Institute, not exactly an unbiased source, there is evidence from the Surgeon General and others that second hand smoke can be dangerous, especially when people are exposed to it over a extended period of time.

But whether you believe that or not, are you saying that there should be no workplace protections of any kind, in any industry, because allegedly "people are free to work where they want and not work where they don't"? That's what workers in this country need; a return to labor conditions at the turn of the 20th century in the US or in China today......
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The initial complaint made about smoking in a restaurant was that patrons had to smell the smoke, so that's what was addressed.

That said, people are also free to work where they want and not work where they don't. No one makes you work at a place where smoking is allowed. Are we gonna say close all strip clubs because a waitress is offended by the appearance of bare skin?
So the whole OSHA thing is kind of a scam then, huh?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Well....I was hoping you were a Savage Listener but I guess your not.
I'd be more than happy to spot you the 18.00 to take your stuff over to where it belongs.
OTPC is chock full of old guys that also get their news and views from the radio.

You'll have a blast trading anti -liberal zingers with a bunch of like minded citizens. All open-minded , free thinkers like yourself.
It's just a pure coincidence how they all free think in lock step....
Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

What....do I look like free pickens. It's not like I started it.

I'm sure your liberal crystal ball is chalked full of all kinds of comebacks like this but I'm not amused. Are you saying that you have to be "old" to be conservative? Although, the "older and wiser" thing usually fits a conservative...I've been conservative since I was a teenager. I payed more attention to politics after college because I was amazed at the amount of taxes being taken out of my paycheck. Clinton was robbing me and I had to better understand why. I grew up around Detroit so you may be able to see why I might be more interested in the average bloke. The fourth generation welfare recipients were robbing me blind and I didn't like it.

Nonetheless, if you and your buddies would put down the pot long enough to clear you minds you'd probably all come over to the more thoughtful and contentious side of politics. I think it's funny how you Libs (now a 4-letter word) attack people without any substance or debatable argument. I realize this isn't the forum but you started it.

Obama's government help you buy that Porsche so you better enjoy it while you can because when the Republicans take over we're going to take your Porsche away.

Just kidd'n man. I hope the plan is to help you make more money so you can buy more Porsche's! It's your money, you earned it so spend it whatever way you want.

There is enough politics here without becoming a member. Plus, I haven't actually decided if I want to be a member yet. Giving it some more time but if I do...I can afford the $17.95.

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
I'd be more than happy to spot you the 18.00 to take your stuff over to where it belongs.
OTPC is chock full of old guys that also get their news and views from the radio.

You'll have a blast trading anti -liberal zingers with a bunch of like minded citizens. All open-minded , free thinkers like yourself.
It's just a pure coincidence how they all free think in lock step....
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I payed more attention to politics after college because I was amazed at the amount of taxes being taken out of my paycheck. Clinton was robbing me and I had to better understand why.
If you think Clinton was bad, be glad you weren't around for Reagan or any of the guys before. But then Reagan, Nixon, and Eisenhower were real tax and spend lefties. God only knows what Kennedy and Carter were...

Top Marginal tax rate (Nominal rate for majority of term):

Eisenhower (Republican) 92%

Kennedy (Democrat) 91%

Nixon (Republican) 70%

Ford (Republican) 70%

Carter (Democrat) 70%

Reagan (Republican) 50%

Bush I (Republican) 31%

Clinton (Democrat) 39.6%

Bush 2 (Republican) 35%

Obama (Democrat) 35%

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=213
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Are you saying that you have to be "old" to be conservative? .
No, I'm saying the average age of a radio addled ditto head is 67.
It wasn't my idea to spend my tax dollars paying for you guys to attack the wrong country.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

We love our Country. The Libs hate it.

No, I'm saying the average age of a radio addled ditto head is 67.
It wasn't my idea to spend my tax dollars paying for you guys to attack the wrong country.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I'm totally fine with the current rates. It is shocking how much the top rate was years ago. Keep in mind that there were more deductions than there is now.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you think Clinton was bad, be glad you weren't around for Reagan or any of the guys before. But then Reagan, Nixon, and Eisenhower were real tax and spend lefties. God only knows what Kennedy and Carter were...

Top Marginal tax rate (Nominal rate for majority of term):

Eisenhower (Republican) 92%

Kennedy (Democrat) 91%

Nixon (Republican) 70%

Ford (Republican) 70%

Carter (Democrat) 70%

Reagan (Republican) 50%

Bush I (Republican) 31%

Clinton (Democrat) 39.6%

Bush 2 (Republican) 35%

Obama (Democrat) 35%

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=213
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a car forum?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Is this a car forum?

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-20-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Did someone actually say it was "impossible" to de-badge the 991, or is that simply your lowly way of posing an argument?

What people are observing quite correctly is that the 991 badging is atrociously tacky and gauche, and points to the demographic for whom Porsche intends the car: those who insist on an assurance that no-one literate will be unclear as to what kind of car they are driving. That's rather sad, as the 991's shape certainly remains quite iconically Porsche.

The badging is easily removed, and hardly a reason to avoid buying the car.
+1
Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

We love our Country. The Libs hate it.
Feel better ?
Now go back to your radio and await further instructions.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I have book you should read Mr. Gaygoose997. It might help.

Feel better ?
Now go back to your radio and await further instructions.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not exactly. The initial complaint was that I objected to second hand smoke; I didn't generalize about anyone else. Others did that.

That said, your example of a waitress offended by bare skin in a strip club is a straw man. Notwithstanding the link above to information from the Heartland Institute, not exactly an unbiased source, there is evidence from the Surgeon General and others that second hand smoke can be dangerous, especially when people are exposed to it over a extended period of time.

But whether you believe that or not, are you saying that there should be no workplace protections of any kind, in any industry, because allegedly "people are free to work where they want and not work where they don't"? That's what workers in this country need; a return to labor conditions at the turn of the 20th century in the US or in China today......
Originally Posted by IslandS52
So the whole OSHA thing is kind of a scam then, huh?

Yeah, it is a straw man, but the point is that in a free labor market, the desires of an employee, who can choose to work at another location, should not dictate the nature of the business they work for.

No that doesn't mean OSHA is a scam. There is a big-fat gray area around what is 'hazardous to such an extent that it should be regulated'. Lots of things are hazardous. Me having to drive to work is hazardous.. so should I now be given a safe train form my house to the office so I can avoid the risks of mingling with other motorists who might be texting, reading, or just plain bad drivers?

The point I was trying to make is that I'm opposed to laws that forbid legal activity in non-public places. If the activity is legal, the owner of the non-public space should be allowed to have that activity take place. If you don't like that activity or being in proximity to it, don't go there. Let the free market work this out. Thats all I'm saying.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

The free market gave us steering wheels that splintered and pierced your heart upon impact, dashboards that cracked your skull, and the lack of seat belts allowed you to sail directly through the windshield.

To show your solidarity with the free marketers, why not disconnect your air bag, take out those pesky seat belts, replace your padded dash with plywood and party like it's 1959.

Quick Reply: De Badging De Rigueur in Deutschland