Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are dealers unwilling to negotiate or do I suck as a negotiator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I live in NC but buy parts from Sewell. Even with shipping, their prices are the best in the nation.

As for being surprised about Porsche dealerships acting like other, lower-end shops, bear in mind that the sales staffs and managers are the same schmucks you deal with when you buy a Chevy or a Hyundai. In fact, they've all probably worked at those stores at some point in their careers. You can take the man out of the bog but never the bog out of the man. They'll still try the same generic and low-brow tricks on the customers and they'll still use the same played out lines.

It reminds me of something my Father told me many years ago. Dad grew up extremely poor. Many of his childhood friends are dead or in prison. He was the first in his family to go to college and wound up with two Doctorates (MD and PhD). He said, "Jamie, when I was young, I imagined that once I was a doctor, all my friends would be intelligent, focused on the right things and wouldn't be driven by the petty crap that everyone dealt with in my old neighborhood. Now that I'm a doctor, I realize that these guys are the same a$$holes I hung around with in west Indianapolis, except that they just have alot of money and think they know everything."

The correlary is that car salesmen are the same whether they sell toasters or Porsches. Expect salesmen to act like salesmen (i.e., in their own best interest). If you don't expect much from people, they will only surprise you positively.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I got some negotiating practice in this week. The future ball and chain wanted a IS250 with the F-Sport package that doesn't make the car any better imho and even though I probably could've gone with Sewell, it made no sense for me to buy a lexus so far out of state and have it delivered which would've ate into any better discount I could've gotten with them. I got almost $2,500 off which is about right according to websites.

Last week I decided to change companies for work which will make my schedule busier so now I'm really going to try harder to get a deal done before the end of the month because I won't be able to just take off whenever I feel like it. There's also some GTS that are just a tad bit higher than the max amount I wanted to spend. I need to show some restraint or I might start chasing after those too and I'm paranoid about the centerlock wheel system failing even though the rest of the GTS extras are great.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Beverly393
Cruisin'

It all depends on the dealer, when I bought my 2009 TT I went to my local P car dealer where I had already purchase other P cars in the past, they offer $1500 discount from msrp, so I walked away, took a 2hr drive to Austin tx the following week and got a $14k discount from msrp for the same car, so i think it boils down to the dealer
Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

That is classic... I bent over backwards to work with my local dealer in Austin but could not even get a return call from their sales manager on a written offer on a car on their lot even though I had spoken to him personally... this is after not getting any response from his sales team. You'd think they had customer's lined up out the door with that type of customer attitude but every time I've been there it's a bit of a ghost town. Ended up buying from a p-dealer in Newport Beach, CA instead and saving $11K off asking price for a CPO'd '08 C2S. I wonder if dealers just like poaching in another dealer's backyard and so are more motivated to cut those good deals when it's out of region or state.

BTW, congrats on the '09 TT. Awesome cars.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM
pkts
Advanced

USMC I'm just curious, how exactly do you go about negotiating 11K off the price? Do you start by trying for 20K and then working your way up? Trying to get my head around this.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pkts
USMC I'm just curious, how exactly do you go about negotiating 11K off the price? Do you start by trying for 20K and then working your way up? Trying to get my head around this.

Thanks!
I usually just tell them the actual number I am willing to pay with the idea if they get close enough I will do the deal. In 2009 I offered a NJ dealer $70k for a leftover 2008 997S with a sticker around $90K and they said yes.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
I usually just tell them the actual number I am willing to pay with the idea if they get close enough I will do the deal. In 2009 I offered a NJ dealer $70k for a leftover 2008 997S with a sticker around $90K and they said yes.
That's exactly the strategy that I use. The only problem is to determine a good offer. In February for example I was about to make an offer of $1500 over invoice on a custom order for a S5. Fortunately I went to cars.com and found two Dealers who offered a $100 over invoice and a $99 documentation fee. I called the dealer closest to my home, and they matched it. So I saved $1400 just by doing a little home work.

The best strategy for buying a Porsche is to do as much home work as possible, and then make your offer. My next Porsche order will be made in February 2013. I may wait until there are a couple of inches of snow on the ground before I make my offer
Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I also proscribe to naming your price upfront, cast a board net, and share the competitive price points of other cars I'm interested in as I narrow done the short list. I tell all of the p-dealers that I'll be purchasing within the week and that I'm visiting the dealer with the best product/price 1st in person. Last year I narrowed it down to two p-dealers, one in SoCal and the other in NorCal, in the final run off. I notified them of my intentions to purchase from one of them that week and flew out to the SoCal location 1st as it had a '08 C2S for $2K less (phone/email negotiated upfront) than the '06 C2S in NorCal. The '06 in essence was a negotiating point... I really wanted the '08 car. Note the '08 car was incorrectly price on the p-dealers website. They quickly changed the price but I used the '06 to force their hand. Apparently they needed the cash more than the profit margin on that one.

Like others have noted... don't be shy about offering a low price especially if that's all you're willing to pay. The key is to get the best car for what you're willing to spend. All they can say is no... big deal. Just move on to the next. I've had dealers come down in price enough on a new car to nearly match used car prices because I told them that I was ready to put money down tomorrow on a used one for $11.5K less than their MSRP on a new car but if they could match or come close I would consider their car... in that particular case the Lexus dealer called back within an hour and offered me a price on a new car within $1.5K of the 2 yrs used Lexus at a different dealership. It's just simply money in hand for some dealers. Better to gain something then nothing as the saying goes. In that case, the Lexus dealer moved a unit and gained on their quota. I got my wife a new Lexus buying experience and saved $10K of their list price on a $57K list car... cost to me was $1,500 more than a 2 yrs old used car but I gained a new car with full warranty and made other gains in the marital department. Happy Wife Happy Life. GLW the search... it's almost as fun as the ride.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM
pkts
Advanced

Thanks guys, I must be doing something wrong...the search is stressing me out I'm getting lousy sleep because my mind is going a million miles an hour and I wake up in the middle of the night excited about the car.

It'll be my first Porsche

I prefer your guys' approach to mine...I had no idea you could get that much of a discount !
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by pkts
Thanks guys, I must be doing something wrong...the search is stressing me out I'm getting lousy sleep because my mind is going a million miles an hour and I wake up in the middle of the night excited about the car.

It'll be my first Porsche

I prefer your guys' approach to mine...I had no idea you could get that much of a discount !
I know how you feel. I finally cut a deal on a super low mileage GTS. I'll be sure to post pics after it arrives in a week or so. I'm so glad I don't have to chase the sales guys at park place in dallas anymore. I would've bought from them if they were more willing to deal and if they followed up my calls and emails. They dropped the price on the car that they told me they had no more room to drop and if they had this price from the beginning I probably would've bought the car from them.

I'll probably cry with joy when I get this car. GL on your quest. PM me if you want to swap car shopping war stories.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by hakaida702
I know how you feel. I finally cut a deal on a super low mileage GTS. I'll be sure to post pics after it arrives in a week or so. I'm so glad I don't have to chase the sales guys at park place in dallas anymore. I would've bought from them if they were more willing to deal and if they followed up my calls and emails. They dropped the price on the car that they told me they had no more room to drop and if they had this price from the beginning I probably would've bought the car from them.

I'll probably cry with joy when I get this car. GL on your quest. PM me if you want to swap car shopping war stories.
Awesome! Look fwd to the pics. The GTS is a great car.. Congrats
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I also proscribe to naming your price upfront, cast a board net, and share the competitive price points of other cars I'm interested in as I narrow done the short list. I tell all of the p-dealers that I'll be purchasing within the week and that I'm visiting the dealer with the best product/price 1st in person. Last year I narrowed it down to two p-dealers, one in SoCal and the other in NorCal, in the final run off. I notified them of my intentions to purchase from one of them that week and flew out to the SoCal location 1st as it had a '08 C2S for $2K less (phone/email negotiated upfront) than the '06 C2S in NorCal. The '06 in essence was a negotiating point... I really wanted the '08 car. Note the '08 car was incorrectly price on the p-dealers website. They quickly changed the price but I used the '06 to force their hand. Apparently they needed the cash more than the profit margin on that one.

Like others have noted... don't be shy about offering a low price especially if that's all you're willing to pay. The key is to get the best car for what you're willing to spend. All they can say is no... big deal. Just move on to the next. I've had dealers come down in price enough on a new car to nearly match used car prices because I told them that I was ready to put money down tomorrow on a used one for $11.5K less than their MSRP on a new car but if they could match or come close I would consider their car... in that particular case the Lexus dealer called back within an hour and offered me a price on a new car within $1.5K of the 2 yrs used Lexus at a different dealership. It's just simply money in hand for some dealers. Better to gain something then nothing as the saying goes. In that case, the Lexus dealer moved a unit and gained on their quota. I got my wife a new Lexus buying experience and saved $10K of their list price on a $57K list car... cost to me was $1,500 more than a 2 yrs old used car but I gained a new car with full warranty and made other gains in the marital department. Happy Wife Happy Life. GLW the search... it's almost as fun as the ride.
I agree with this. On my current car, I bought it new, but I had done my research and I knew what I was willing to pay. I pretty much told them up front to get the games out of the way. It worked out. You have to be ready to go when the time is right..
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I did the same thing as some of you. I told the sales person over the phone what I wanted to pay not counting tax and shipping or any other dealer fees they like to throw on and I got a call a few minutes later saying they are will take that deal. I will be going a few thousand more for a GTS over a C2S or C4S is worth it. Well all 997 might end up being classics if you believe some of the anti 991 people here. I'm just a bit paranoid about the centerlocks. I'm not a great DYI mechanic, but will try.

I am just glad to be done with calling and emailing and playing games with some of the dealers. Some dealers just said no right away and that was fine. I don't think an email or phone message from me should take more than a day to get back to me. I felt like some dealers were thinking they could squeeze more out of me or wasn't taking me seriously and I felt like they didn't really want my business.

I do understand that sometimes sellers don't take people seriously. I'm in real estate and have seen more than enough dreamers or tire kickers to understand, but sometimes a person that you think is a flake will surprise you and do business with you.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the GTS! Please post pics!

Glad to see the Rennlist community help on the "buy" side.... now it is time to save money on the "use" with DIY threads and parts recommendations.... I personally am truly thankful to the Rennlist community for all of their help over the years.

-B
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Yes, congrats and welcome to 997 ownership. The GTS is a fantastic car.

Quick Reply: Are dealers unwilling to negotiate or do I suck as a negotiator?