Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are dealers unwilling to negotiate or do I suck as a negotiator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a left over 2012 997.2 S Cab for 22% off, plus the 1st annual service thrown in for fre.. It comes down to how motivated the dealer is, so choose your car accordingly if you're looking for max discount. I agree with the comment on being clear the dealer knows you are a stone-cold willing and able buyer. Also, always and I mean ALWAYS make sure the sales manager knows you have at least one other option. Not the salesman, the sales manager. The best deals right now are on the 997s if you don't have to have the latest thing. A brand new 997 is as sweet a car as there is, for the most part- even counting the 991s. For what it's worth, I think PCNA may be throwing in an additional 12 months bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage on new 997.2s, so don't be worried that the clock on the 48 month warranties have started ticking.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I only buy cars over the phone, and have done so for the last 10 years. Trust me, it works. I will call ALL dealerships within areas that I am willing to fly to. Once I decide that a particular dealership has a car that I am very interested in, I provide them with my credit application BEFORE discussing price. With 4 or 5 approved credit apps in place at various dealers, I start the price negotiations and close a deal by 5pm of the same day. I share with each dealer most of the info around 1) what are my other car options, 2) how much each dealer is willing to drop, etc.

The key is to bring control to the BUYER. I find this model works very well, and I get great deals on cars.

Good luck.
-B
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I always deal directly with the dealers website giving them my credit info so they know I am serious. Of course you find that specific car you want and come up with a price agreement and then after that go to the dealer and look at the car. On my Audi Q7 prior to any signed contract they brought the car from another dealer and called to tell me the car was in. I told them to get all paperwork ready went in drove it and i was out the dealer in 30 minutes. I even told them prior not to have the finance guy try and push any of the extra crap on me or I will walk. If they know you are serious and you have the money they will deal. Why waste time sitting in a chair letting them play the game on you. I did the same with my Carrera S and had it shipped to my home! Take a look at Walter's Porsche in Riverside, Calif!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I got a call back from the sales manager, but I'm going to wait another hour before calling him back. I do have a few other backup cars that fit the criteria that I'll be asking about if this one doesn't work out for me.

I just started the process of buying 2 days ago and I can be very patient. I've waited six months in 2000 for a unmolested low miles supra turbo and in 2004 I waited at least 4 months for the right nsx to come along. Price isn't everything, but I was just thinking that for a car that costs so much should be able to come down more than $1,500 from asking price.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Aquary
Instructor

My sense is you may be given a bit more consideration when you're there face to face, too (although I certainly appreciate that it's frequently difficult to find the "right" car nearby). I was negotiating by phone with a dealer in S. Florida for a car I really liked, but they just wouldn't come down to what I thought the market was (about $5K below their high 50s asking price, on a car that had been on their lot for 6 months). When I found a similar car about 3.5 hours drive away from me in the Midwest, I just got in my car and drove there that night. They knew I was serious, and we pretty quickly got to a mutually agreeable price...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I have found I do better negotiating in person. If you are there looking them in the eye pressing them, they tend to move more to keep you from walking. You may have to walk, but 9 times out of 10 they will call you if they know you are serious and have met you in person.

They probably get phone calls all the time from lookey-loos low balling them. I got 9k off the asking price of my 996tt last year from a P dealer, but it took 4 days and 2 trips to the dealership to get it done. I finally walked in with a cashiers check for the amount I wanted to pay, and said take it or leave it. They took it.

Looking someone in the eye with cash in hand is still a powerful negotiating tool.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 PM
DLennox
Banned

[QUOTE=wanderingwheelz;9668022]I just bought a left over 2012 997.2 S Cab for 22% off

That's the largest discount I've ever heard of on any car, where did ou get this, I want to go there!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 PM
DLennox
Banned

To the other posts regarding credit info, don't give any one credit info until you are ready to buy the car. If a dealer doesn't think you are serious about buying a car, you should move on to another dealer. Giving multiple dealerships credit info is a terrible idea and should have no bearing on the deal until you commit to buy.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 PM
mikekenzo
3rd Gear

So is it best to phone negotiate, just negotiate like the 'Black Swan'?
Or come in with cash.
I came in with cash and it took 2 hours with it sitting on the table but in the end, and me getting up twice for some 'fresh air' got them back to reality.
Either they were going to make some money or another dealer with the same product would.
They chose to make money.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vman4639
For a difference of $3k on a ~$90k vehicle, I say if it's "the car" - buy it.

I know it feels good to find a deal, but if you can afford a $87,000 car, you can afford a $90,000 car..... And if it's "the car" - grab it.
+1

I tend to negotiate over the phone, but usually it's because I know *exactly* what car I want - color, options, miles, etc. - and am specific enough that I can rarely find what I want locally. (Hence the trip to CT from FL for my C2S.) It leaves me somewhat at a disadvantage in negotiations simply because I rarely have multiple cars that fit my search parameters. But I'd rather get the "right car." This time, it only took a week to find. The Targa took 6 months to find. Both looking nation-wide.

Regardless, in my experience 5-7% off the asking price is almost automatic for most sellers, and has been a rule-of-thumb I use when determining a listing price for a car I'm selling.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 AM
hakaida702
Racer

I called back but got a voice mail. I'll call back the sales guy again monday morning asking what their "special" new price is.

I'm considering flying in to the dealer in dallas with printouts of 2 other cars at a dealership that are similar in houston and telling them lets make a deal now or I'll get in a taxi and get the next flight out to houston and see the dealership there and once I leave I won't come back even if I don't get any of the cars in houston.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I live in Vegas too. After negotiating with the local dealer, I bought my 997.1 from a dealer in FL and my GTS in CA. $2000 off was the best I could get so voted with my feet (and phone). There is no competition in town so the discounts are not as good.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 AM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

I am in Delaware. My deal was so sweet that my 72 year old father ended up going in a week later and baught the other car I didn't buy. All he asked for was the exact same deal I got. And I got a $250 check for the referral too. So I guess I did a bit better than my father.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Shop where there are multiple p-dealers

Originally Posted by Holli82
I live in Vegas too. After negotiating with the local dealer, I bought my 997.1 from a dealer in FL and my GTS in CA. $2000 off was the best I could get so voted with my feet (and phone). There is no competition in town so the discounts are not as good.
+1... we only have one p-dealer in Austin. They won't even bother to call you back. I ended up getting my car out of state in SoCal.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:55 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out Walters Porsche in Riverside CA......website shows $10-20K off new 997s

Quick Reply: Are dealers unwilling to negotiate or do I suck as a negotiator?