Sponsored by:

Drove a brand new 991S and 997GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
Love it or hate it, the 991 is the car that Porsche developed and brought to market.
To believe that *this* time they've really misjudged what their customers want is to
ignore 60+ years of unequaled success, which have made them the most profitable
auto manufacturer on the planet.
We like to think we (here on Rennlist) are the hardcore, informed, real enthusiasts
when it comes to Porsche. But, the majority of Porsche customers ain't here.
And, those folks are buying up 991s about as fast as Stuttgart can crank 'em out.
Gripe about it all you want...it's just the way it is. IMO.
BMW's M division has diluted and arguably ruined the M reputation with the last M3 and the M versions of their two SUV's. They went the direction of heavier & more hp. Also less raw and more GT. New versions coming out will no longer have the high revving N/A engines either - another signature of M cars of the past.

It is not implausible that Porsche could do something similar with their primary goal of making more bucks. I think some Porsche enthusiasts are a little full of themselves to assume that Porsche will aim at pleasing the longterm enthusiasts over a larger pool of people who just happen to have the bucks to buy the lastest/greatest.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
It is not implausible that Porsche could do something similar with their primary goal of making more bucks. I think some Porsche enthusiasts are a little full of themselves to assume that Porsche will aim at pleasing the longterm enthusiasts over a larger pool of people who just happen to have the bucks to buy the lastest/greatest.
I agree. Macan, Pajun, Cayenne and Panamera diesel, etc. I am sure they will all be great sedans/SUVs, and will sell in large numbers. But you have to admit that they have sold out the brand.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
Love it or hate it, the 991 is the car that Porsche developed and brought to market.
To believe that *this* time they've really misjudged what their customers want is to
ignore 60+ years of unequaled success, which have made them the most profitable
auto manufacturer on the planet.
We like to think we (here on Rennlist) are the hardcore, informed, real enthusiasts
when it comes to Porsche. But, the majority of Porsche customers ain't here.
And, those folks are buying up 991s about as fast as Stuttgart can crank 'em out.
Gripe about it all you want...it's just the way it is. IMO.
I agree, it is what it is... if in the market today, I'd buy a GTS or GT3, in a few yrs, if I must buy a Porsche and have no alternative, I might have to bite the bullet, or just find a nice used GTS/GT3.

However, to suggest Porsche CANNOT make a mistake, and does not ever get it wrong is just completely ignoring the history, you forgot 996, 944, right? Also, you can never rely on the past to predict future. I strongly believe today's Porsche is just NOT the same company as it once was, even casual observers, including family and friends who have no bone in the Porsche brand, have commented that Porsche has been watered down as they now make a slew of cars including SUV, 4 door, and Cross overs. Do you think that in 20yrs, they got the same brand recognition as a primary sports car manufacturer as today? I do not think so... they probably will be financially successful, but the brand is just not the same, and their focus is just not the same, and that *might* lead to their demise. My 0.02.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I agree. Macan, Pajun, Cayenne and Panamera diesel, etc. I am sure they will all be great sedans/SUVs, and will sell in large numbers. But you have to admit that they have sold out the brand.
Whether we like it or not, an argument could also be made that in today's market, without them, the brand would be dead or irrelevant.....
Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Whether we like it or not, an argument could also be made that in today's market, without them, the brand would be dead or irrelevant.....
I'd say just the opposite - the upcoming Macan and Pajun are being developed purely for corporate greed by exploiting the brand. Porsche as a brand is quickly becoming dead and irrelevant WITH them.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I'd say just the opposite - the upcoming Macan and Pajun are being developed purely for corporate greed by exploiting the brand. Porsche as a brand is quickly becoming dead and irrelevant WITH them.
That's a surprise. Seriously, I was referring more to the Cayenne, without which Porsche might be in the dumpster already. I might also suggest there is a difference between becoming dead in the sense of "dead to enthusiasts" (which BTW I don't think has happened or is likely to), and "dead to the world" as in out of business or without sufficient capital to develop new models, engage in racing, go to LeMans again, etc. Anyone who thinks Porsche could have sustained themselves as a stand alone entity only by selling sports cars in today's automotive market is simply not being realistic. And now that VW controls them, of course they are exploiting the brand. Does that surprise anyone? Isn't capitalism and making money what we all signed up for? Just be thankful that for the foreseeable future Porsche is still developing interesting cars even if they have had to make concessions to the modern world. The days of the bare bones, hairy chested, niche market sports car are pretty much gone. Sad in some ways, but the world is changed, and that's just the way it is.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamuth
I'm just gonna sit around and wait for all you old farts to trade in your GTSs for a 991 (when the urge for comfort begins to supercede driving feel). )
1+ Me too!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

+1... Porsche brand has clearly been dilluted over the past few years. As I said earlier, even casual observers (family, friends, colleagues) have commented that Porsche just doesn't stand for what it used to stand for, with all the new 4-doors, SUVs, and Cross overs!

Again, financially they'd be fine in the short-medium term, but in the long term Porsche doesn't stand for what it used to be known for.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's a surprise. Seriously, I was referring more to the Cayenne, without which Porsche might be in the dumpster already.
Not entirely true. When in Porsche museum, there was a quote and voice-over (via headphones) on top of first Boxster made, and the Porsche head at the time was quoted "yes, this car is not truly reflecting our heritage (or something to that effect), but necessary for financial success".

What saved Porsche was Toyota method of lean manufacturing (now Porsche consults other companies on Lean principals - including ours), and Boxster (while now Boxster sales are in the dump cause they're too close to 911 pricing). They had a few very unsuccessful cars before those cars. Cayenne definitely contributed to more profits, but Porsche would have been successful as a smaller sports car manufacturer regardless. Look at Lambo, Ferrari, etc... they are a lot more $$, but at much lower volume.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slamuth
I'm just gonna sit around and wait for all you old farts to trade in your GTSs for a 991 (when the urge for comfort begins to supercede driving feel). )
LOL... that IS the silver lining!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 57 Posts

There's a new 911?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is that when the 997.1 was revealed, I couldn't wait until they made it to the dealership and bought one of the early ones they received.

When the 997.2 was revealed, I spent hours poring over the configurator and ordered one as soon as I could get an allocation.

When the 991 was revealed, I started wondering what else was out there. I guess I'm going to move into a CPO'd 997 GT3, but after that, I have no idea. I know I won't be getting a 991. And I haven't even driven one. All it took was seeing the front fascia and the rear lights.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by alexb76
Not entirely true. When in Porsche museum, there was a quote and voice-over (via headphones) on top of first Boxster made, and the Porsche head at the time was quoted "yes, this car is not truly reflecting our heritage (or something to that effect), but necessary for financial success".

It's very, very, hard for me to believe that Porsche would say the part about the Boxster not being consistent with their heritage as it has been repeatedly touted as a descendant of the 550 Spyder ever since it was first introduced. I think something was lost in translation....

Originally Posted by alexb76
What saved Porsche was Toyota method of lean manufacturing (now Porsche consults other companies on Lean principals - including ours), and Boxster (while now Boxster sales are in the dump cause they're too close to 911 pricing). They had a few very unsuccessful cars before those cars. Cayenne definitely contributed to more profits, but Porsche would have been successful as a smaller sports car manufacturer regardless. Look at Lambo, Ferrari, etc... they are a lot more $$, but at much lower volume.
Although streamlined manufacturing processes contributed to the turnaround, ultimately Porsche felt their business had to grow to succeed and that wasn't going to happen just with purist sports cars. I think it's curious that in an environment where so many people are negative about government interference in business, that we as private citiizens think we know best what a private company should do, especially when they have been so profitable doing it their way.

Yes, look at Ferrrari and Lambo. Do you see any cars from them that just reasonably affluent people can afford? Is that really the example you want to see Porsche follow? Besides, Ferrari has been backstopped by Fiat for over 40 years. Until very recently Porsche was on their own. Their business models have been very different and Porsche has had to take a different path to success.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Yeah,look at Ferrari and Lamborghini with the AWD FF(their trait,right?!) and the SUV concept that they've presented already,production is just a step away!
Porsche does not care and shouldn't care about 100 so called ' purists '. It's business! Get it already! They would've been Saab by now if it wasn't for the Cayenne and Panamera. They'll still give you the GT's and RS's,what's the big deal?!
Just by that comment that the 991 feels like a Lexus you know right away it was intended to start this debate.
OP,did you have a bottle of Grey Goose before you test drove the 991?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a late build 2012 C2S for around $90k or less and that's Cayman S/R territory.
There is a very big diff in performance between the 2012 997/2 C2S and the Cayman's 320-330 hp. The R is around $87k, so...

When Porsche came out with the Panamera, I thought "Great, they'll be able to leave the 911 alone". Foolish me. The Cayenne is their big seller, 2/1 v. the 911.

Porsche is also looking at ALL of the world markets (think Asia), not just the US.

Really glad I have a 997/2 C2S, looking hard at a TT for this reason. You can guess what the new 991 Turbo will have for an msrp . My guess is way north of $150k.

Like a bunch.

Quick Reply: Drove a brand new 991S and 997GTS