Sponsored by:

charger connected, hood closed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 PM
robwebb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charger connected, hood closed?

I've only had my 08C4 for one month and I've got a lot to learn, including, "how is it possible to have a battery charger connected and the hood closed"? Wouldn't the hood have to be open to let the cables through? It seems there is a way to connect a battery charger other than directly to the battery terminals. How do you do that?

Is the terminal in the fuse area involved?

Pardon my ignorance! and many thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

The alternative is to get an adaptor that plugs the charger into the cigarette lighter. Of course then you have to leave the window cracked or close the door on the cable which because of the thick weatherstripping is apparently possible as people do it.

I leave the hood ajar (I've disconnected the trunk light bulb) and have installed a semi-permanent connector ( which is fused) so I don't have to fool with the battery each time. The connector and charger I use is made by CTEK, a Swedish company which also manufacturers the charger Porsche sells. CTEK chargers and accesories of different types are available on Amazon. Their base 3300 charger is the same as the Porsche one and is about half the price. Good luck.
Attached Images     
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
upbull340
6th Gear

Default DelTran Battery Tender

Here is another option.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
dsanto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bring it out by the passenger front and close the hood. You'll still be able to move the cord and no damage to the weather stripping.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Battery Tender has several good options for this. You can direct connect a line to the batter and run it through to the external panel piece right below the windshield wiper.

Name:  P1020093.JPG
Views: 5345
Size:  162.1 KB

Name:  P1020096.JPG
Views: 4390
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  P1020097.JPG
Views: 4546
Size:  169.7 KB
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I just plug my battery tender into the cigarette lighter. Door closes on the wire without any problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I route my wires outside of rubber seal and down edge of hood and then close the hood did it for 12 years on my 996 works the same on 997
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 AM
robwebb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The alternative is to get an adaptor that plugs the charger into the cigarette lighter. Of course then you have to leave the window cracked or close the door on the cable which because of the thick weatherstripping is apparently possible as people do it.

I leave the hood ajar (I've disconnected the trunk light bulb) and have installed a semi-permanent connector ( which is fused) so I don't have to fool with the battery each time. The connector and charger I use is made by CTEK, a Swedish company which also manufacturers the charger Porsche sells. CTEK chargers and accesories of different types are available on Amazon. Their base 3300 charger is the same as the Porsche one and is about half the price. Good luck.
Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the time and pics you put in to my Q. I thought I was missing something when I read, "charger connected, hood closed" but your reply has reassured me that it's basically the same as I've been doing for years.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 AM
robwebb
Advanced

thanks everyone for your response to what must have seemed a fairly dopey Q!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I actually run my short wired quick disconnect through the battery cover and let it sit just below the windshield wiper nozzles. When I want to charge I pull it up and plug it in. The hood never gets opened.

USMC DS1, is there also a removal trip on the inside of that upper windshield trim to run the wire through?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave the hood ajar (I've disconnected the trunk light bulb) and have installed a semi-permanent connector ( which is fused) so I don't have to fool with the battery each time.
I was told in a similar post sometime ago that the car is smart enough to know the bonnet is not closed and shuts of the power to the frunk light in about an hour or so and no need to remove bulb. Never stuck around at the storage unit to verify but no issues for several years.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
I just plug my battery tender into the cigarette lighter. Door closes on the wire without any problem.
x2
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

No need to disconnect the trunk light:

"If the ignition key is removed, loads which are
switched on or are in standby mode (such as the
luggage compartment light, interior light and
radio) are automatically switched off after approx.
2 hours."

The light will go off in about 20 minutes if you arm the alarm with the hood open (you'll get a beep indicating the hood is open). Same holds true for the engine compartment light.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I was told in a similar post sometime ago that the car is smart enough to know the bonnet is not closed and shuts of the power to the frunk light in about an hour or so and no need to remove bulb. Never stuck around at the storage unit to verify but no issues for several years.
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
No need to disconnect the trunk light:

"If the ignition key is removed, loads which are
switched on or are in standby mode (such as the
luggage compartment light, interior light and
radio) are automatically switched off after approx.
2 hours."

The light will go off in about 20 minutes if you arm the alarm with the hood open (you'll get a beep indicating the hood is open). Same holds true for the engine compartment light.
I was aware of that, but didn't want the light on for two hours each time I left the hood open. I keep my cover in the frunk and sometimes leave the hood ajar when parked in a safe place (I don't like to constantly latch and unlatch the hood), so those are more times when the light would be on. It may all seem like madness, but there is a method to it....
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless you are parking the car for 3+ weeks and and/or only pulling it out for a short 20min drive every week, there should not be that much plugging and unpluging of a trickle charger.

As others have mentioned there are two options typically:
1) Put charger clamps on the battery terminals and run them out by the wipers... that area is outside of the sealed frunk space so no weather stripping to worry about, but you need thin cables and clamps and popping off the battery cover.
2) Get a trickle charger that plugs in to the cigarette lighter in the center tunnel, and feed the cable out via a door (and close the door on the cable).

Quick Reply: charger connected, hood closed?