Originally Posted by Domer911
x2
x 3 Plugs right into the passenger footwell outlet
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I was told in a similar post sometime ago that the car is smart enough to know the bonnet is not closed and shuts of the power to the frunk light in about an hour or so and no need to remove bulb. Never stuck around at the storage unit to verify but no issues for several years.
I keep my trunk partially open and the light goes out in about 10 minutes. No need to worry about draining the battery since you are in the process of charging it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Here is what I do. Connect Battery Tender cable to the battery. Extend it. route it behind the bumper (we took the bumpers off for simplicity) and:

997 C4S: tie the connector to the bottom right hole as indicated. The plug is more than enough to keep water at bay.

Cayenne TS: Route through the toe hook area and hide behind the toe hook cover.

I leave the Tenders powered at all times and the power cable on the floor just in front of where I stop. (Laser parking devises help ensure precision parking.)
Very easy access.

The downside. Not making a sign and putting it on the windshield, driver side that the charger is plugged in and the wife borrowing the vehicle without noticing. Will be making a sign soon.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
x 3 Plugs right into the passenger footwell outlet
I can't remember now what the reason was, but I thought there was info a while back that suggested plugging into the footwell wasn't a good idea....
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 AM
robwebb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Here is what I do. Connect Battery Tender cable to the battery. Extend it. route it behind the bumper (we took the bumpers off for simplicity) and:

997 C4S: tie the connector to the bottom right hole as indicated. The plug is more than enough to keep water at bay.

Cayenne TS: Route through the toe hook area and hide behind the toe hook cover.

I leave the Tenders powered at all times and the power cable on the floor just in front of where I stop. (Laser parking devises help ensure precision parking.)
Very easy access.

The downside. Not making a sign and putting it on the windshield, driver side that the charger is plugged in and the wife borrowing the vehicle without noticing. Will be making a sign soon.

I love the idea of your laser parking device, I've got to get one of them!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,026 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by robwebb
thanks everyone for your response to what must have seemed a fairly dopey Q!
Nowhere near as dopey as what I did. Had to go on an unexpected 2-week trip and didn't have a battery tender so just disconnected the plus cable on the battery.....then closed the hood. Came back and found out you need battery power to pop the hood to reconnect the battery. Using the key or otherwise. Thanks to a thread I read here I knew about the little red terminal in the fuse box and jumped it open.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Nowhere near as dopey as what I did. Had to go on an unexpected 2-week trip and didn't have a battery tender so just disconnected the plus cable on the battery.....then closed the hood. Came back and found out you need battery power to pop the hood to reconnect the battery. Using the key or otherwise. Thanks to a thread I read here I knew about the little red terminal in the fuse box and jumped it open.
Interesting - I would have thought with the positive cable disconnected that using the red terminal in the fuse box wouldn't do anything. I guess it bypasses the battery??
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by robwebb
I've only had my 08C4 for one month and I've got a lot to learn, including, "how is it possible to have a battery charger connected and the hood closed"? Wouldn't the hood have to be open to let the cables through? It seems there is a way to connect a battery charger other than directly to the battery terminals. How do you do that?

Is the terminal in the fuse area involved?

Pardon my ignorance! and many thanks in advance
The first think you need to learn is that it's called a "frunk"!
You can't close the frunk 100%, I press it down until it latches, which gives about an inch of play for the cord. Then you are golden!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I documented another clean way to hook up a battery tender, here :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ry-tender.html
Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I can't remember now what the reason was, but I thought there was info a while back that suggested plugging into the footwell wasn't a good idea....

My local P dealer confirmed its the primary plug in spot for charging the battery. They do it to all their showroom cars
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe you were remembering this:

Note on operation
The tire filling compressor must be connected to
the cigarette lighter.

I think if you plug the compressor into the footwell socket, the fuse blows.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

+1, yes... do not use the footwell socket for any thing requiring higher amps like a charger or air pump.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Great reminder guys !
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That foot well port really should be a USB/MiniUSB/MicroUSB combo port to prevent plugging in odd things... or they just should have wired the damn thing to not blow when you use the air pump. Thats just a recipe for repeated blowing of that fuse. Or maybe a manually reset-able circuit breaker at that footwell socket rather than burning through a car fuse.

Quick Reply: charger connected, hood closed?