Sponsored by:

How to install Powerlet Socket Install for Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to install Powerlet Socket Install for Battery Tender

porscheman1963.... we are still waiting for your pics and write up of your great hack. Hopefully, you will have time soon.

In the mean time....did you have to remove the front bumper cover to install powerlet socket?

Thanks,

Harvey
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harvey, I actually did put up some pics in another post but here they are again along with another little tweak which LIBr suggested. As you can see, I have my battery tender sitting on the counter in my garage. I ran the SAE cable which is attached to it down the back of the cabinet and into the toe kick area of the cabinet. I can just pull the wire out from the bottom of the cabinet and plug right into the socket which I installed on the car. When I am not using it, I just push it back into the toe kick area. I have a 25 ft extension ( http://batterytender.com/accessories...sion-lead.html ) on it so I can reach my P-Car, my wife's Bimmer parked next to me and even my son's car parked outside the garage. Unfortunately, I didnt take any pics during the install since while I was digging around for information on the forum, it didn't appear that this was a mod that anyone cared about but me. I will do my best to describe what I did.

I purchased this part but had it custom done to 9 ft long so I could snake around from the front bumper area to the battery compartment along the passenger side of the car. The 9 ft length only added just a few more bucks to the price :

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...ket-kit-12/164

I drilled an 11/16" hole in the front bumper area where u see the socket mounted. It is basically hollow behind there so plenty of room but you need to get to the back of that panel since the socket is secured with a washer and nut mounted from the backside. There are 3 screws holding a bumper panel under the car and if u take them out u can get your whole arm in the space behind the hole I drilled. Since I didnt have any jack stands, I was not able to get under the car enough to reach this area so I since I was taking the car into the dealer for an oil change, I had them secure the socket once I had run the wires where I wanted them to go. I basically just pulled the carpet on the side walls in the frunk area back just a bit to tuck the wire along the passenger side. In order to get the wire from the frunk into the battery compartment, I ended up drilling a small hole in the wall between the frunk and battery compartment. In order to pass the wire from the frunk to the bumper area, I used the existing grommet hole where the frunk release wire goes thru this same grommet. I made the connection to the battery and that was it.

My choice has forever been the Battery Tender Plus ( http://batterytender.com/automotive/...-at-1-25a.html ) for my motorcycles and cars which has an SAE cable end to it. I also bought this part to convert it to a Powerlet end end so I can just plug right into the socket which I have just installed.
http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...uty-cables/315

This seems like a lot of work since most of you probably find it easy enough to just plug into your cigarette lighter but if I had access to jack stands and been able to reach inside the bumper area, I would say the whole job would not have taken more than an hour or so. Hope this helps a bit !!!

Neil-
Attached Images       
Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey porscheman I'm loving your garage! Makes me wanna clean mine up; maybe tear out my kitchen cabinets and re-install them next to my P-car. LOL. Nice.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another U of MD Terp!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Yeah Go Terps !!!

LlBR, my garage is prob nicer than my house, just the way I like it and my wife thinks I am sick, oh well lol !!
Originally Posted by TooSixy
Another U of MD Terp!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job. To my eyes, if you rotated the outlet 90 degrees, the hinge and opening lip would not hang over the "strakes" behind it but fit between them. I think that would look cleaner.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I think you have done a super job on this both in execution and concept. What a great way to quickly disconnect your car (as you're simply pulling out) and saving yourself a few steps each day.

But your garage is WAY too neat. The only time mine was anything like that was when I painted the floor!
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2010, 08:31 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

I thought I was really **** until I read this post !!!!!!!! Nice idea though

Originally Posted by Jastx
Nice job. To my eyes, if you rotated the outlet 90 degrees, the hinge and opening lip would not hang over the "strakes" behind it but fit between them. I think that would look cleaner.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Thanks, I have had quite a bit of fun with both car and garage, I like ur neat garage too !!!

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I think you have done a super job on this both in execution and concept. What a great way to quickly disconnect your car (as you're simply pulling out) and saving yourself a few steps each day.

But your garage is WAY too neat. The only time mine was anything like that was when I painted the floor!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Dan, how did you get the stuck cat off the floor?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really ****.....

The garage I want. But for crying out loud - whats wrong with a simple plug in the lighter socket and run the cord out the door sill???
Old 03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
porscheman1963
Instructor

Nothing wrong with your simple method but for me it was worth the hour or so of labor and about $ 75 to get my setup done. Everyone has something different in their car and that's what makes this fun !!!

Originally Posted by jasvoboda
The garage I want. But for crying out loud - whats wrong with a simple plug in the lighter socket and run the cord out the door sill???
Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Dan, how did you get the stuck cat off the floor?
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Nice garages here!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Hey porscheman I'm loving your garage! Makes me wanna clean mine up; maybe tear out my kitchen cabinets and re-install them next to my P-car. LOL. Nice.
.... or park your 997 in the kitchen like Porscheman does!

Quick Reply: How to install Powerlet Socket Install for Battery Tender