Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peeling climate control buttons - a new solution ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:56 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
I don't have a dog in this fight but it seems curious that all the new endorsements come from users with 2 posts or less.
Ugh. Curious indeed since we saw the same thing a few weeks ago.

For the users who are posting good experiences can you please confirm you are human. If you are, I apologize but John Cobra at Climarepair has proven himself not to be very ethical.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Ugh. Curious indeed since we saw the same thing a few weeks ago.

For the users who are posting good experiences can you please confirm you are human. If you are, I apologize but John Cobra at Climarepair has proven himself not to be very ethical.
If the members in question were brand new accounts I could see where you are coming from. Both of these come from people that have been around longer than Climarepair, one back to 2002.

Please lets refrain from such accusations, OK? It doesn't help.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

If these are legitimate product reviews then I apologize as well. Its Just my antennae go up when I see a business that hasn't followed best practices in the past getting endorsements like that.

Other forums I belong to have rules against that and are considered spam unless the members posting have some sort of standing whether time, posts or both. I guess this is a bit of an exception because user endorsements were specifically asked for. I can't help it sometimes when my cynical side sees posts like that and go hmmmm.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:53 PM
dnbbarnes
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to do my first post during your questions on new members with 1 post doing endorsements. I have owned my 997 cab for over 10 years and am preparing for a radio upgrade. That's why I decided to sign-up for this forum. I've got the gummy bear climate switches and don't want to go the testor's paint route. They will look worse once the new radio head is installed. I figured I would change out the switches. Reading through this thread, what are the available options (or preferred vendors) for replacements that fix this gummy problem long term and looks OEM?

DaveB
Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dnbbarnes
I would have to do my first post during your questions on new members with 1 post doing endorsements. I have owned my 997 cab for over 10 years and am preparing for a radio upgrade. That's why I decided to sign-up for this forum. I've got the gummy bear climate switches and don't want to go the testor's paint route. They will look worse once the new radio head is installed. I figured I would change out the switches. Reading through this thread, what are the available options (or preferred vendors) for replacements that fix this gummy problem long term and looks OEM?

DaveB
MAcarbon is your best route. He's a solid guy and does excellent work. I think they are like $180 after core exchange. I've had mine for 2yrs. They look OEM and have zero issues. Install will take maybe 2hrs to remove the PCM from the dash and then remove the switches from the PCM.
https://www.macarbon.com/component/v...ail?Itemid=928

As for upgrading your PCM 2.1, my personal recommendation is just to get the LaPower bluetooth module. It brings the PCM 2.1 into the modern age while keeping the stock look. Search for it in the forum and you will find a very long thread on everyones experiences with it. Its also around $150.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 PM
dnbbarnes
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBruce
MAcarbon is your best route. He's a solid guy and does excellent work. I think they are like $180 after core exchange. I've had mine for 2yrs. They look OEM and have zero issues. Install will take maybe 2hrs to remove the PCM from the dash and then remove the switches from the PCM.
https://www.macarbon.com/component/v...ail?Itemid=928

As for upgrading your PCM 2.1, my personal recommendation is just to get the LaPower bluetooth module. It brings the PCM 2.1 into the modern age while keeping the stock look. Search for it in the forum and you will find a very long thread on everyones experiences with it. Its also around $150.

Good luck.
Appreciate the quick feedback. Good to get a recommendation. I saw MAcarbon was getting a new batch on 4/2, so I'l go that route.

I went through a lot of the threads for updating vs adding bluetooth. That's how I came to join the forum. In my case, I don't have the PCM 2.1, I have the CDR24. I don't need to keep the stock look. Never really liked all the switches when I'm driving. I'm OK with a glass double din. I've had my 997 since 2009 and don't see selling it.
Musicar Northwest will do the update. I followed some of the updates they have had on this forum. They are 1/2 hour from where I live and have great recommendations locally. Also adding a backup camera. It's kinda like adding a 4 point racing harness and a cup holder. Get use to certain conveniences and expect them across the board.

Thanks,

DaveB
Old 04-02-2019, 12:20 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Good deal and keep us posted.

Ps - and if your soft touch on the center console is also worn, I have a DIY writeup on respraying that.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic997
I do. I was in an interesting position before I ordered from Climarepair. I was initially going to refinish myself, order through MACarbon if I failed. What I didn't anticipate was breaking one of the long arms (the ones with square holes) and thus eliminating myself from the core exchange required at MACarbon.

I'm not trying to make enemies on this forum. Since I joined RL, and before I ordered from Climarepair, I had read most if not all, the comments on Climarepair. Because of that, it was the most unnerving order I've ever placed. Waiting for tracking info was anxiety ridden, and when received, required Google translate. I was hypersensitive to the orders entire process until I received them.

However, John was reasonably responsive to my emails. Replying within a, if not the, day. The switches arrived, and I'm pleased with the quality so far. I can't comment on durability because they're newly installed. I feel obligated to say that the look is perfect. Temp font and Fan icon size/placement of both is excellent. Finish is excellent. Mechanical fit is excellent. A little more slick than original, but that should be expected as its not rubberized. The light shines through and is indistinguishable from original.

Again, I can't comment on durability and may never be able to as I have a cab and I live in Minnesota. The car doesn't run below 60F. When it's above 60F, the top is down, and HVAC is irrelevant.

Again, I'm not trying to make forum enemies, I was in a tight-spot, painted myself into a corner (pun not intended, but accurate). I closed my eyes, crossed my fingers, and ordered the Climarepair's.

It worked out well for me. The Revolution switches are a nice product.

Thank you very much for sharing your review! We love to hear you like our product.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Testors flat black model paint and a fine brush did the trick for me.

http://www.testors.com/products/136840
Let us see the results!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Ordered and installed macarbon replacements. Look great! No issues with install.

Highly recommended.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:20 PM
MEMike
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice Work!

Originally Posted by loonwin

I used Testors model enamel paint too (in flat black). I was too lazy to do the prep work of sanding down the peeling to make it blend better, but the end result looks fine to me. Especially for less than $5 and ten minutes of time. I just took a tiny paintbrush and dabbed the affected areas. The Testors covered and blended in perfectly.

Here’s a before and after pic
That's a really nice job! I can appreciate where others are coming from in wanting it to look perfect but I can't justify $150 or more just for a couple of switches I hardly look at and rarely use. I can justify spending a bit of time trying this solution and I thank you for the inspiration!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys -

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm hosting some guys at my house in a couple weeks and one of our projects is replacing climate control buttons, and I have been looking for a source for the project.

Came across both vendors named above.

Any others to consider?

Thanks in advance,
Gundo
Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

www.macarbon.com is the best supplier out there ive seen. I've had them for 2yrs and they are perfect.

climarepair.com has tons of complaints about their quality and customer service. i would stay away.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gundo
Hey guys -

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm hosting some guys at my house in a couple weeks and one of our projects is replacing climate control buttons, and I have been looking for a source for the project.

Came across both vendors named above.

Any others to consider?

Thanks in advance,
Gundo

If you're going to try DIY, I created this template. Give it a shot if you're so inclined. I'm including both the photoshop and png files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
hvac_template.zip (609.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys - good to know. May go DIY...

Quick Reply: Peeling climate control buttons - a new solution ?