Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peeling climate control buttons - a new solution ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Peeling climate control buttons - a new solution ?

I was searching through the archives of old peeling 997 climate control temp and fan switches I found the most people had either had them replaced under factory or CPO warranty.

I have less 18k miles on my 05, and never thought to have it replaced under warranty way back when.

Anyways the warranty is long over and now I'm trying figure out a solution to fixing those ugly white splotches on those buttons where the black paint has peeled off.

Is there any solutions in terms of removing only the button and replacing only those buttons or an aftermarket one of any kind from - let's say the good folks at bumper plugs or something similar?

Or maybe there's another solution likes swapping out only the toggle switches?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

there have been many posts about this lately.

Stickynomore.com seems to be the best solution so far
Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a DIY on the climate control buttons last weekend. About half-way through the project I had the "oh duh" moment when I realized I could have taken before and after pics, along with documenting the process I used to approach the project.

I'm pleased with the end result given the few options that exist for fixing this notorious problem, and I'll try to at least post an "after" pic when I get a chance. In the interim, I'll share that the materials list included: blue painters tape, an exacto knife, fine grit (wet/dry) sandpaper, and Krylon fine texture flat black plastic spray.

The abridged version of my process included cleaning each button with a Q-tip and soap and water, then lightly sanding the areas with heavy peeling so that these areas blend more smoothly with the surrounding black/painted areas. Then I covered the "Temp" and fan icon while painting first the bottom portion of the buttons, then doing the top portion of the bottons.

While certainly not a factory finish, I'd give the end result a 9 out of 10 (and like most on here I'm a pretty meticulous guy). I'll try to post a picture soon, so we can let others offer their opinion on the end result for this DIY solution.

Stay tuned...
Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
gravis121
AutoX

Decal solution using ink jet printable vinyl paper:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...or-change.html
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Testors flat black model paint and a fine brush did the trick for me.

http://www.testors.com/products/136840
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 PM
BillB128
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I used Plasti Dip paint and that matched great. I bought the spray can version at Home Depot.
I then sprayed a small amount into the paint can cap and applied using a tooth pick. The paint matched both the color and texture of the rubberized material on the switches.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:29 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any idea how to completely remove the rubber paint?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:44 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

try acetone that should strip it ,Or lacquer thinner
Old 05-12-2018, 02:10 AM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Testors model enamel paint too (in flat black). I was too lazy to do the prep work of sanding down the peeling to make it blend better, but the end result looks fine to me. Especially for less than $5 and ten minutes of time. I just took a tiny paintbrush and dabbed the affected areas. The Testors covered and blended in perfectly.

Here’s a before and after pic

Old 05-13-2018, 09:04 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I just painted mine w/ Testors Flat Black. Took 10 minuets. Looks good to me. Better than before for sure. Thank you for the ideas.

b
Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM
rfloydman
1st Gear

I finally got around to replacing my buttons. The job was not as easy as i thought it'd be (never is with car projects!) but well worth the effort. I took me about 2 hours total.

Having the correct tools helps a lot. Make sure you have some Torx screw drivers ( T6 -> T30 sizes ) and some interior panel tools that are not going to scratch your lovely 911
Something like this:
Amazon Amazon

For the actual buttons i ordered some from Clima Repair. They cost quite a bit ($150) but still way cheaper than dealer alternatives and IMO worth the money to replace those
horrible worn out buttons.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:30 PM
Rabbit997
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 39 Posts

Hello Gentlemen, I had my buttons wrap with Expel car wrap. I was having my car front hood and bumper clear wrap. I asked my installer if he could wrap the buttons. I was pleasantly surprised with results. The only thing missing is the markings. It's been about a year now and holding up very well.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:18 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by rfloydman
I finally got around to replacing my buttons. The job was not as easy as i thought it'd be (never is with car projects!) but well worth the effort. I took me about 2 hours total.

Having the correct tools helps a lot. Make sure you have some Torx screw drivers ( T6 -> T30 sizes ) and some interior panel tools that are not going to scratch your lovely 911
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KI5F3US/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01KI5F3US&pd_rd_w=BLo8K&pf_rd_p=10eb af99-73de-4f5d-a994-e7f5fc52f86f&pd_rd_wg=btBYQ&pf_rd_r=7YX790HNSWG781B75QJG&pd_rd_r=adb829d 7-347b-11e9-93ab-89092d4d5e38

For the actual buttons i ordered some from Clima Repair. They cost quite a bit ($150) but still way cheaper than dealer alternatives and IMO worth the money to replace those
horrible worn out buttons.

@rfloydman welcome back to Rennlist. However I find it odd your first post on RL is about Climarepair. We typically don't see new members giving product promos on their first post. Can you do me a favor and confirm you are 997 owner - and not "John Cobra" from Climarepair. He's been known to use marketing pictures and language just like that. If you are a legit member, please accept my apology.

@DrBob and moderators - can you please confirm this user is legitimate. If this is proven to be Climarepair, I would ask you to use this as evidence to ban him from RL for good.

Last edited by TheBruce; 02-20-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
@rfloydman welcome back to Rennlist. However I find it odd you first post on RL is about Climarepair. Can you do me a favor and confirm you are 997 owner - and not "John Cobra" from Climarepair. He's been known to use marketing pictures just like that.

@DrBob and moderators - can you please confirm this user is legitimate. If this is proven to be Climarepair, I would ask you to use this as evidence to ban him from RL for good.
Very curious indeed.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

you've got to be kidding

Quick Reply: Peeling climate control buttons - a new solution ?