Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ?? - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ??

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ??

Old 06-04-2015, 09:36 PM
dalancroft
User

Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I have only one thing to say about the duck tails....or bills...as it looks like both........Quaaaack!!!!

Anyone else feel this way?

C'mon! A car part named after a bird part?????
Agreed, not a big fan of 'tails on modern P-cars. Older models, perhaps, but I think a tail ruins the gorgeous, sensuous lines of the 996, 997, and 991s.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:02 PM
ADias
Super User

Originally Posted by mzn50 View Post
Getty Design.. says that

"911 engines are open to the elements both air and water get onto the engine. The air filter makes sure only clean air enters the intake. "

I guss Ill find out on first rain fall..
Maybe Getty Design's poor design lid does that but they are wrong re the factory lid. You need high speed horizontal rain hitting the rear of the car for water having a chance to enter the airbox. Horizontal rain is very rare, now, a hose can do that but an informed owner knows better than flushing water through the air intakes.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Daohaus
User

Washed mine this weekend with a foam canon and pressure washer and no issues. Of course i didn't shoot directly into the intake port
Old 06-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mzn50 View Post
Ive noticed that with my ducktail and other air intake deck lids on 997s that water can easily enter the engine chamber of the 997.

I was told that the 997 Engine are made to support being rained on..these intakes below are right above the Air filters ..

Can anyone confirm or have looked into this ?
Should I be concerned ?

thanks !!
The engine is made to get wet and operate normally. I have a Getty ducktail(for years) and have never had an issue with water. This includes weekly (or more) washing and driving in the rain.

You're good to go and enjoy without worrying based on my experience

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ??

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: