Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/691425-is-the-997-2-an-open-air-engine-to-the-elements.html)

mzn50 04-15-2012 07:53 PM

Is the 997.2 an open air Engine to the elements ??

Ive noticed that with my ducktail and other air intake deck lids on 997s that water can easily enter the engine chamber of the 997.

I was told that the 997 Engine are made to support being rained on..these intakes below are right above the Air filters ..

Can anyone confirm or have looked into this ?
Should I be concerned ?

thanks !!

Mumbles 04-15-2012 11:18 PM

When I wash my car the engine does not get wet at all. Only when the louvred cover is lifted does water drip onto the engine.

Never seen a set up like yours before Matt. I would of thought that there would be some water deflection there somewhere ? has to be ?

Edgy01 04-16-2012 12:59 AM

If your air filters become saturated with water they won't work as well. Who makes that tail you have? I would have expected some sort of deflector there to divert water away from dropping directly onto the air filters. Either that, or don't get it wet!

mzn50 04-16-2012 09:23 AM

Getty Design.. says that

"911 engines are open to the elements both air and water get onto the engine. The air filter makes sure only clean air enters the intake. "

I guss Ill find out on first rain fall..

Edgy01 04-16-2012 02:14 PM

When you get an opportunity to look at a 991 with the newest duck tail from the factory, take a look to see how they deal with water intrusion. I think the Getty Design comment is weak, and shows that they are more into cosmetic designs than a design that reflects any sound engineering. You do not want water coming in--potentially in the quantity that such a design will allow. A simple baffle is what should have been included within the design--but only visible inside the engine area.

TxBob74 04-16-2012 02:36 PM

Aerokit Cup rear deck design does the same thing as OP's ducktail. Mine is not a daily driver, so I keep it out of the rain and try not to hit the area for long with a water hose while washing.

Porsche has had the Aerokit for many years, so I am certain that proper precautions (drains) are present in the air filter boxes.

LewisB 04-16-2012 03:56 PM

I have only one thing to say about the duck tails....or bills...as it looks like both........Quaaaack!!!!

Anyone else feel this way?

C'mon! A car part named after a bird part?????

mzn50 04-16-2012 04:10 PM

Bob .. thanks.. that is assuring.. perhaps if you have a chance.. you can PM me pics from the inside of your rear decklid ?.. any rain baffles.. or straight open ?

thanks again..

alexb76 04-16-2012 04:20 PM

WHY didn't you get the OEM Ductail?

These are one some of the reasons in such areas, it is advised to only buy OEM!

mzn50 04-16-2012 04:30 PM

Is there an OEM RS Ducktail for a 997 ?
if there is.. how do you know its not the same design.. As noted above.. the OEM Aerokit cup has the same opening..

alexb76 04-16-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by mzn50 (Post 9450093)
Is there an OEM RS Ducktail for a 997 ?
if there is.. how do you know its not the same design.. As noted above.. the OEM Aerokit cup has the same opening..

Yup! From Sport Classic... see below.

Now, I do not know exactly how Getty design is, from these pics they look different and I AM SURE, the OEM has thought about channeling water AWAY from Air filter, same as the Aerokit. I do not think *Getty* would have the same resources to do extensive design and testing of their spoilers.

http://www.mibz.com/wp-content/uploa...tclassicfd.jpg

http://www.deutschnine.com/rennlist/.../duck-tail.jpg

http://www.madwhips.com/upload/image...11-800-600.jpg

joelpirela 04-16-2012 04:50 PM

That's why you have the ducts that goes from the deck and connect the airbox to the air opening. they have a curvature with holes that drains the water. Also, the airbox has some drain point at the bottom....

mzn50 04-16-2012 04:51 PM

Alex.. isn't the sport classic like a $200K model ?.. Im taking a OEM ver of our 997 models ..
in anycase.. everything I read is that Getty design is top notch and have to admit.. the fit an finish is excellent.. plus i love the look it goves my car

now.. my question is about the ducktail I installed and customized already.. not going down the hole of OEM against non-OEM .. Ive committed and love the Getty look and cost option it brought.. im just concerned about water intake..on my unit and just looking for insight

thanks

mzn50 04-16-2012 04:57 PM

coolio.. thanks Joel !!
I just got off the phone..that seems to be the consensus from Porsche as well.. they didn't seem to worried.. maybe its just me !

alexb76 04-16-2012 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mzn50 (Post 9450147)
Alex.. isn't the sport classic like a $200K model ?.. Im taking a OEM ver of our 997 models ..
in anycase.. everything I read is that Getty design is top notch and have to admit.. the fit an finish is excellent.. plus i love the look it goves my car

now.. my question is about the ducktail I installed and customized already.. not going down the hole of OEM against non-OEM .. Ive committed and love the Getty look and cost option it brought.. im just concerned about water intake..on my unit and just looking for insight

thanks

Ofcourse, but so is GT3 RS, but you can buy GT3 parts! You could have just bought the ductail! Suncoast used to have it for a while... and I think it was around Aerokit price, or less.

Anyhow, see Joels' response above, there must be ways to channel the water, "they have a curvature with holes that drains the water". If yours doesn't have it, then you risk exposing your engine to water and elements.

I am sure Getty look is nice, even fit and finish, but for an integral part of your car and something that could cause issues for your engine, I'd stick to OEM, or try to find a solution for that ductail.