Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jersey fill-ups - what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dented one of my cars once with that damn nozzle. First time I ever missed the hole. I'll never do that again.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
There are those that settle for "corrected" paint as you call it, and those that appreciate a nice pristine finish.
Just accept it and move on.
http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...flections.html

you want to call that settling? Cause if thats settling...I'll settle every day of the week.

And you don't get the paint damage in the link from a lousy plastic gas cap.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

Well here is the reasons for the full service only in New Jersey.

The law has been in place over 50 years. Turns out the 1949 law, which has resisted repeal efforts over the years, was passed out of concern about the impact on senior citizens and small retailers. The crazy part is, the price of gas in New Jersey is cheaper than self-server in surrounding states.

Most gas stations in New Jersey have at least two full time employees, while most other states have just one, sitting behing the bullet-proof glass. So it does seem the low state tax on gas helps keep the prices low also.

The fact the there are refineries in state doesn't hurt much either!

Basically done to protect small businesses.......has come up for repeal as recently as last year, but not supported...........
Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

130 hour restoration detail... at $50 an hour that's pretty close to $6500.
Thanks, but I'll choose to continue to fill my own gas.
(You DO get damage from a Gomer with a gas nozzle.)
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

I find the gas jockeys in NJ to be good at what they do.
While not every one of them has figured out how to hang the gas cap, everyone that I've encountered has been professional and careful (it's their job, after all). I'll always get out of my car and chat them up, but I don't act like I'm hawking them. If they want to chat, I'll usually get a "nice car" comment, and then go from there.

I'd ask the question, do you want somebody scrutinizing you when you are doing your job, or stepping in front of you and saying "let me do that"....

I'd be more concerned with someone fitting a new tire to an expensive alloy rim.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Do they try to clean your windshield, too? Because that would put me over the edge.
That stopped decades ago.

We are a funny bunch. It is OK to obsess about one's...... let's just be nice about it when getting gas.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What if you pop the trunk and say, "Hey buddy, can you check the oil?"
Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 AM
marcus0277
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
worst case, you correct the paint every once and again.
I think the point is that some people work very hard to earn the money to purchase and maintain their Porsche. They take pride in the condition of their vehicle, and some people view that as a reflection of their attention to detail and respectfulness for their own property (which generally translates to a respect for other people's property, too).

If things/money comes easy to you and/or you don't give a rat's *** about the condition of your property, or you're willing to shell out cash to repair damage that is done by someone making minimum wage at a gas pump, then that's fine. There are plenty of people out there with that attitude. They're generally the ones that ding other people's doors and think "What's the big deal? It's just a car."

But you shouldn't try to minimize people who actually give a ****. Sure, it's just a car. It can be repaired. But if I'm going to shell out cash to repair something, it better sure as well be because of some boneheaded thing I did... not because some minimum-wage-earner at a gas station wasn't paying attention to his menial job, or he just didn't have an iota of respect for me and my personal property.

With that said... would I avoid New Jersey just because of this stupid law? No. There are better reasons than that to avoid New Jersey. But would I be livid if I was forced to allow someone else to service my vehicle and they damaged it (regardless of how trivial)? Yes. Absolutely. Ultimately, I think the keyword there is forced. If there was a choice, then it's a whole different story.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Skibum
Banned

Very well said Marcus.
I agree 100%
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been in or near NJ for 13 years now and I've always been leery of the gas station attendants. I just keep an eye on them and 99% of the time they do a great job. I've never had anyone chip the paint etc in 13 years. the 1 percent has been someone handling it more roughly than I would. Luckily they're in view so I think they take extra care. If they were to chip the paint I'm sure I'd see it immediately and I'd have to deal with it. I have a Ducati as well and I pump that myself because it's a bit more involved than the Porsche and I'm sure they wouldn't get it right. Although it's illegal, most attendants don't mind if you pump your own gas but I haven't gotten that controlling with the porsche.

I take great care of my belongings (I wasn't that well off when I was young so I'm appreciating everything I have now) but I wouldn't let that keep me from going where I want to go or doing what I need to do. It surprises me to hear that someone would avoid a locality because they don't like the gas stations. If you start to look closely I think you'll be able to conjure some compelling reasons to stay away from every state...
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus0277
I think the point is that some people work very hard to earn the money to purchase and maintain their Porsche. They take pride in the condition of their vehicle, and some people view that as a reflection of their attention to detail and respectfulness for their own property (which generally translates to a respect for other people's property, too).

If things/money comes easy to you and/or you don't give a rat's *** about the condition of your property, or you're willing to shell out cash to repair damage that is done by someone making minimum wage at a gas pump, then that's fine. There are plenty of people out there with that attitude. They're generally the ones that ding other people's doors and think "What's the big deal? It's just a car."

But you shouldn't try to minimize people who actually give a ****. Sure, it's just a car. It can be repaired. But if I'm going to shell out cash to repair something, it better sure as well be because of some boneheaded thing I did... not because some minimum-wage-earner at a gas station wasn't paying attention to his menial job, or he just didn't have an iota of respect for me and my personal property.

With that said... would I avoid New Jersey just because of this stupid law? No. There are better reasons than that to avoid New Jersey. But would I be livid if I was forced to allow someone else to service my vehicle and they damaged it (regardless of how trivial)? Yes. Absolutely. Ultimately, I think the keyword there is forced. If there was a choice, then it's a whole different story.
+1. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll let Quadcammer look all suave and cool and drive off with the inevitable chip and/or ding in his Porsche as he appears to be more concerned with how he appears to strangers and pump jockeys at the pump then his car. Me on the the other hand am more than happy looking like a ****** making sure the the pump jockey who doesn't really give a $hit about my $129k GTS doesn't bugger it up with chip and/or ding either accidentally or accidentally on purpose to sooth his envey.

I protect and watch what I care about both animate and inanimate and don't really give a rats a$$ if others think I look like a ****** doing it.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

don't let your cars own you folks.

I can't imagine what you'd do to your kids if they dropped a bike on the side of your car
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Are you kidding? We beat them within an inch of their lives.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Skibum
Banned

lol
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default What Happened to Freedom of Choice

I feel for my fellow RLer's in Jersey... I don't even like the p-dealer washing my car let alone someone filling up the gas tank for me. BTW, I just sent an email to the service rep about how I don't want my car washed by them tomorrow when I drop her off for a flaky TPMS unit under warranty... dealer left water spots everywhere the last time they did me that "favor" even though I specifically told them not to wash it. Hoping that a written email does the trick this time. Bringing the printout with me as well!

BTW, kids are out of the house and they drive trucks... no bikes. You think I'm OCD... my younger son won't let a certified mech near his truck and I tend to agree with him. Why let anyone mess with your "junk" unless you absolutely have to for warranty or engine work... now they past a law that someone else has to fill up for you... another step closer to "1984".

Quick Reply: New Jersey fill-ups - what do you do?