Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 997.1 S Cab held up well in extreme winter weather!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My 997.1 S Cab held up well in extreme winter weather!

Rennlisters,

I spent the past weekend in Breckenridge, CO with some old high school friends and drove the '06S Cab from Park City, UT. The trip each way was 420 miles of mostly 2 lane road. Coming back, I hit a heavy snowstorm/icestorm and drove past a flipped 18-wheeler and SUV. My Cab has 18inch winter wheels with Conti snow tires (purchased from Rennlist's Le Chef - thx!) and they were phenominal on the ice. I hit a 30 mile stretch of pure, inch-deep, unsalted ICE, and the car performed admirably up to about 40mph. At 38/39 mph (even in a straight line), the rear wanted to lose grip and push. I throttled up to 40mph, and the car snap-turned left a full 90 degrees. So THAT was the breaking piont! Now I now...

In summary, the car handled very well. I was unable to find any aggressive snow tires (i.e. deep treads) for this car - so I would expect the MAX performance to be around 40mph on pure ice, and control in snow depths of up to 3-4 inches (unplowed). That is not bad for a high-horsepower sports car!

Here is a pick of the dirty car after that 8.5 hour return trip...

-Blake
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Ahhhh just the way it was meant to be used as in year round! I have a 2006 C4S cab with the same snows on it and although we havent had any big snow storms this year (yet...) it has been great in what we have had and I get to drive it all the time

have fun
Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

I love the fact that you're using the car the way it is supposed to be used........all the time and in almost any conditions. It's amazing how versatile they are in harsh conditions.
It still cracks me up that some owners won't even take theirs out in the rain.............maybe they should make a version of the car that has no engine and driveline and costs half as much so it can be kept in the garage to look at forever without the heavy cost and depreciation.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:55 PM
cwalvoord
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you on the lack of aggressive tread snow tires for these cars. My old 944 would go through anything when I put on the narrow Pirelli M+S snow tires that looked like they came off a farm tractor. The tread on the Michelins I have on my '07 C2S now doesn't look that different from a regular summer tire. The compound does grip a lot better in the cold though.

I also have to admit I hesitate to take mine out in the rain or snow, especially when it is clean. But I keep telling myself: it was _designed_ to be driven year round... it _needs_ to be driven regularly... and it is always fun once you get a little dirty and stop worrying about it.

Life is too short to not drive your Porsche.
Chris
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Outstanding. That's all I've got.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM
kevspada
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got home from work after driving 23 miles in the snowstorm we are now getting here in Chicago. My C4 with Pirelli Sotozeros performed fantastic. It is a BLAST to drive this car in the snow!! The only thing that sucked was everyone else on the road who did not have AWD.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 AM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone noticed salt corrosion on their cars from winter driving? That is my only hesitation with driving in the northeast snow, just asking.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 465 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by onetrickpony
Has anyone noticed salt corrosion on their cars from winter driving? That is my only hesitation with driving in the northeast snow, just asking.

Thanks
I've driven all my 911s over the last 10 years in the snow (all AWDs) and no issues although I only keep them for 3 or 4 years. I had one for 5 years with no issues as well:

Tom
Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onetrickpony

Thanks
Back in 1996, I bought a 1986 911 that was a winter driven car. It had nearly 100k on the clock when I got it and endured 10 years of winter driving (i.e. salt) on WI roads. I had a rust bubble on one front fender that was pretty bad near a seam and some heavy corrosion on the front bumper and front valance from where the salt was getting through the nicked zinc coating from stone chips. There were the typical rusted fasteners on the undercarriage. The heat exchangers were just starting to show some thinning of the metal from corrosion in the area nearest the cylinders (obviously the 997 does not have heat exchangers).

Otherwise, the car was extremely solid and rust free. So, if that old car made it well enough for years in the salt bath typical in Wisconsin, a newer 997 should do even better.

Drive it. It's just a car. The colder the air, the better these things run. Keep it washed regularily and it'll last a long time. Porsche has done a great job keeping these cars from corroding in critical places and many materials used are resistant to corrosion.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Rennlisters,

I spent the past weekend in Breckenridge, CO with some old high school friends and drove the '06S Cab from Park City, UT. The trip each way was 420 miles of mostly 2 lane road. Coming back, I hit a heavy snowstorm/icestorm and drove past a flipped 18-wheeler and SUV. My Cab has 18inch winter wheels with Conti snow tires (purchased from Rennlist's Le Chef - thx!) and they were phenominal on the ice. I hit a 30 mile stretch of pure, inch-deep, unsalted ICE, and the car performed admirably up to about 40mph. At 38/39 mph (even in a straight line), the rear wanted to lose grip and push. I throttled up to 40mph, and the car snap-turned left a full 90 degrees. So THAT was the breaking piont! Now I now...

In summary, the car handled very well. I was unable to find any aggressive snow tires (i.e. deep treads) for this car - so I would expect the MAX performance to be around 40mph on pure ice, and control in snow depths of up to 3-4 inches (unplowed). That is not bad for a high-horsepower sports car!

Here is a pick of the dirty car after that 8.5 hour return trip...

-Blake
You're a gutsy man driving that pendulum in the mountains/snow for such an extended time. The car can handle it, surely, but the driver--you performed as admirably!

I guess I'd prefer the 4S for that weather, but these are Black Forest cars, regardless of configuration.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

From a couple of weeks ago here in Oklahoma.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From a week or so ago:

Last edited by Jay H; 08-09-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. I spent almost a decade driving a "normal" car as a DD for the winter (Mini Cooper, BMW Convertible, etc.) - but FINALLY decided last year to buy a 911 as a daily. It was a great choice, and I have had a blast with it year-round...

-B
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

It's great to see snow on these things. (I can't take any pictures like that for obvious reasons). I used to enjoy driving my 911s in the snow and ice. It separates the men from the boys.

Quick Reply: My 997.1 S Cab held up well in extreme winter weather!