Driver's window smashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's window smashed

Hi,

Some low life smashed the driver's window today to steal my Passport 9500. The car was parked in the company car park on the 5th floor which is supposed to be very secure. Security patrols, key card access for cars etc. I remove the detector everywhere else I park it, guess I'll have to start removing it every day at work as well now.

I called the local dealership and they estimated it's about $1200 to $1400 to replace the glass. I have full insurance (with Liberty Mutual) but with a $1000 deductible. They say if I claim it won't affect any future premiums. I can't claim for the detector itself unless I go though my house contents insurance which probably isn't worth it.

Is it a job I can do myself if I can find replacement glass? I've taken the interior door trim off before but can't remember how much access you get to the glass.

Is there and difference in quality of glass used between going through the dealership as opposed to finding a local (Houston) glass company? Are there any companies anyone recommends I use.

John
Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a firm believer that some 'people' need to have their nads ripped off at the stem..

I hate a thief and a liar as much as I hate anything, and I'm not a hater.

Not sure what to tell you.. if the difference is only $200, I might pay to have it replaced myself. Insurance companies have a way of carrying you as a 'high risk' client, even if the claim isn't your fault.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. I would tend to agree with NC 997; knowing insurance companies, I'm not sure it would be worth having a claim on the record just to recover $200. If your out of pocket costs go much higher, then maybe....
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've replaced window regulators and window glass on 986 Boxsters. That process was simple and a DIY job for 3 hours on a weekend.

I have not been into a 997 door, but if you can remove door panels and are handy with tools, I can't see how the 997 changed dramatically from the 986/987 series as far as door insides go.

I've sourced window glass for my '84 3.2 from Sunset Porsche in Oregon and they beat every other Porsche dealer in pricing as well as independant glass companies. I'd try them first for a quote, then go from there.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me years ago with a 928 - I remember what a mess it was. Dealership did the glass replacement. I do recall they left broken glass rattling around in the bottom of the door AND they installed the current green tint glass in a car which had the brown tint glass Porsche offered at the time - so they got to do the job twice!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
Hi,

Some low life smashed the driver's window today to steal my Passport 9500. The car was parked in the company car park on the 5th floor which is supposed to be very secure. Security patrols, key card access for cars etc. I remove the detector everywhere else I park it, guess I'll have to start removing it every day at work as well now.

I called the local dealership and they estimated it's about $1200 to $1400 to replace the glass. I have full insurance (with Liberty Mutual) but with a $1000 deductible. They say if I claim it won't affect any future premiums. I can't claim for the detector itself unless I go though my house contents insurance which probably isn't worth it.

Is it a job I can do myself if I can find replacement glass? I've taken the interior door trim off before but can't remember how much access you get to the glass.

Is there and difference in quality of glass used between going through the dealership as opposed to finding a local (Houston) glass company? Are there any companies anyone recommends I use.

John
This invasion of privacy is a mental scar, find the glass yourself new or used and just get it fixed asap by someone else, so its not a reminder. And try to put it behind you.

Good Luck
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM
equ
Racer

Happened to my cayman back when it was new.. On a 15F day, they broke driver's window, took my v1, garmin (they were worth sth back then), my ski jacket and other car's key. I was parked in front of a ski shop for a ten minute stop (normally I hide the stuff in the car, if any). I had to drive her home, broken, scratched, sitting on glass, freezing with open window and with no jacket...

The window glass caused some tiny scratches that led to a good amount of paintwork. So annoying...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

When I left work I tried to remove the glass from the seat by picking up the little fragments with my fingers so I could drive it home. There was a lot of glass all over the seat and it had fallen down into the gap between the side bolsters and the seat. Didn't want to risk rubbing that into the leather so got a lift home. I'm now on the lookout for a cordless vacuum so I can remove the glass without causing any more damage. Then go back to work and clean up the car. Not my ideal evening!

I did notice that all along the top edge of the inner leather door panel is scratched/scuffed from where the broken glass was pushed in. Also there are a couple of scuffs on the airbag cover and steering wheel. I've also seen a surface tear on the seat bolster where the glass landed.

If it was just the glass I wouldn't go through the insurance due to not worth the risk of having a bad history just to save a couple of hundred $$. I'm taking it to the dealer in the morning to see what they say about the scuffs. I'm not sure how the insurance company is going to stomach the price of a new door card or steering wheel though.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

If your insurance co. is involved you may as well max out on the claim. Replace whatever scuffed parts you can. BTW, see if they will cover the Passport 9500? That was worth $500 new.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

That sucks. Sorry man. Agree with what was said earlier just pay the whole amount. I have the same deductible with Liberty Mutual and did not want a claim set up for just the extra $ 150.00 when my windshield needed replacement.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Sorry to hear. This is when capital punishment should be mandatory! A similar event occurred to my 911SC-Turbo in the 1980s in a shopping mall parking lot. About 3 cars were hit within a few yards of each other. A quick smash and grab.

That was one reason why Passport started using a special electronic key--it had to be used every time you put a new 9V battery in it. Otherwise it was just junk.

Make sure you get all the broken glass out. Vacuum well beneath the seats--after you take all the carpets out. You will find that stuff for years.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Make sure you get all the broken glass out. Vacuum well beneath the seats--after you take all the carpets out. You will find that stuff for years.
+1 I bought a new Honda that had been vandalized on the lot while new. I cleaned out glass for literally years later... It goes everywhere...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
Hi,

Some low life smashed the driver's window today to steal my Passport 9500. The car was parked in the company car park on the 5th floor which is supposed to be very secure. Security patrols, key card access for cars etc. I remove the detector everywhere else I park it, guess I'll have to start removing it every day at work as well now. ...
Low life is right. Sorry to hear about that, but you know the answer. Radar detectors cannot be left on a car while parked in public. This applies also for so-called permanent installations. Low lives do smash windows to steal anything left not bolted down and left visible.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear. That sucks. I would use your insurance, have it fixed by a reputable place and get it behind you so you can enjoy your Porsche again. Life's too short to be without it!

My wife bought a brand new car two months ago and some idiot swerved to go around a car in front of him without looking and slammed into the side of my wife's car. Needless to say, the pride of ownership she had for picking out her own car is now gone with the repairs, loss of value, paint shading slightly off, etc. It was repaired by a great shop, but it's still marred by an accident. Luckily yours is glass and some scuffing, which I'm confident can be repaired.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
. . . This is when capital punishment should be mandatory! . . .
Really?

You're advocating taking someone's life over a broken car window and loss of some electronic gizmo?

In Iran, for stealing, they just take your arm, but here in the greatest democracy on the planet, we should take someone's life?

Really?

Quick Reply: Driver's window smashed