Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber MS Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had long conversations separately with an owner of a caymanR from SF bay area who said the stock suspension setup on the R as a package is a better price than taking an caymanS and modifying it the same way; that it is more than just a hp bump.
The fellow with an caymanS from Colorado said he could not do the R due to front lip clearance due to the overhang.
Just some things I heard.
Sorry Skibum, that would bum me out too. Maybe I had more advanced drivers due to the back to back scheduling if the performance and masters in the same week; the Guatemalans, for instance.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
The facility is great, the instructors are fantastic. The cars, well we already know about those...
The school is impeccably run and choreographed.
If you have no experience driving anything but a Chevy Cavalier down main street in Hooterville and have never driven a track, you will find the experience fantastic.

Unfortunately I left unhappy.
After thinking about it for a few days I'd say I was devastatingly disappointed.
I cannot believe I dropped that kind of coin to receive remedial instruction.
As an attendee of the precision, performance, and masters classes last year, I agree with almost everything you said. Although, I didn't leave unhappy. It was in hindsight that I realized I should have saved the money spent on the masters class and used it for ride-along coaching in DE's. I think the benefit of instant feedback from having somebody in the right seat is more helpful in the long run than the schools. But there is no doubt, they are well run and a positive experience.
(Skibum, hope you're having fun on the water. We are having the warmest spring ever 'til a few days ago)
Old 04-13-2012, 02:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
I just returned from the two day performance course. ...
But they kept altering the groups around the try to pair up those of similar skill level keeping the groups in size from 2-4. driving on track 6 speed 997s, 991 with PDK, CaymanR. Off track exercises on 991 (skidpad); boxsterS and Panamera turbo (autoX); caymanS, 991 for driving technique ; heel-toe. ...
Did you experience both the 997 and the 991 on-track? If you did can you please comment on chassis dynamics differences?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by paver
(Skibum, hope you're having fun on the water. We are having the warmest spring ever 'til a few days ago)
I hope the water skiing season will commence in the next few days.
Still a bit cool here.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Only drove the 997 6 speed earlier on day one; was carrying more speed near the end of day2 in the 991. Other groups were driving the 997 on day 2. I am not qualified enough to comment on the chassis dynamics. But it was great fun doing a hot lap with the instructors in the 991 at the end of day 2. Perhaps a future attendee can ask that question while they are there.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
KNK123
Rennlist Member

Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts, but the weather is perfect.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Did you experience both the 997 and the 991 on-track? If you did can you please comment on chassis dynamics differences?
One data point is that the instructors say the 991S is as quick around Barber as the 997.2 GT3.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The facility is great, the instructors are fantastic. The cars, well we already know about those...
The school is impeccably run and choreographed.
If you have no experience driving anything but a Chevy Cavalier down main street in Hooterville and have never driven a track, you will find the experience fantastic.

Unfortunately I left unhappy.
After thinking about it for a few days I'd say I was devastatingly disappointed.
I cannot believe I dropped that kind of coin to receive remedial instruction.
Thanks for posting this. We had a couple of PSDS instructors hold a special event at our club a while back. We could ride with them, and drive their cars solo. I thought they were excellent instructors, particularly Cass Whitehead who I rode with in a Cayman. I was considering attending the school, but was concerned about having to start from the basic course. Now it seems like it would be a bad investment if most of the course is basic drills and lead-follow. It's a shame for those of us with track experience PSDS don't have a procedure for us to skip the basic and intermediate classes.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Thanks for posting this. We had a couple of PSDS instructors hold a special event at our club a while back. We could ride with them, and drive their cars solo. I thought they were excellent instructors, particularly Cass Whitehead who I rode with in a Cayman. I was considering attending the school, but was concerned about having to start from the basic course. Now it seems like it would be a bad investment if most of the course is basic drills and lead-follow. It's a shame for those of us with track experience PSDS don't have a procedure for us to skip the basic and intermediate classes.
I didn't follow through for other reasons, but a few months ago I was exploring enrolling in PSDS and skipping at least the basic class. I spoke with the PSDS people and explained that I had taken other driving courses including one with open wheel experience that qualified me for an SCCA license. I don't know how it would have worked out, but they were at least willing to examine my credentials to to see if I would qualify immediately for a more advanced class.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you taken a course at Laguna? I've always wanted to drive there.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Skibum
Banned

The fact that they don't offer the option on their website to qualify for a more advanced class is disappointing.
It was only after I complained that they said "despite what we have posted on our website you can qualify for a more advanced class with proper credentials."

What this meant for me was that I wasted $4000.
I was never even offered a discount on the next class should I have wanted to take that route.
Personally I feel the correct action for Porsche to take given my dissatisfaction would have been to offer me the next class at no charge with the caveat that I continue to the 3 day license class.

End result.. I feel like I've been ripped off by Porsche. More like I paid $4000 for a long test drive.
I'm so disgusted with everything that my entire feeling about Porsche has changed.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by zanwar
Have you taken a course at Laguna? I've always wanted to drive there.
I've done a few laps at Laguna, but both my driving courses were at Sears Point. I took the Bondurant course at SP in the 90's and the Jim Russell 3 day course there 4 years ago. Right or wrong, I chose Russell Racing over Skip Barber at Laguna because I'd heard you got more open track time and less lead/follow with Russell. But a course at Laguna Seca would be great; it's an awesome track.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

It was only after I complained that they said "despite what we have posted on our website you can qualify for a more advanced class with proper credentials."

I'm so disgusted with everything that my entire feeling about Porsche has changed.
That tracks with what they told me. It's too bad they don't make it clear about the upgrade possibility and that it ruined your experience.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Yes. I am sorry they did not address your(Skibum) disappointment in a better manner than they did.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wa Hoo I'm going.

Wife nodded + so I just signed up for the two day Aug 28,29.
Other than driving high performance sports cars on the street for 50 years (Porsche for last 12 years) I have no real track experience.
So I'm looking forward to learning something and having a good time.

Last edited by SteveFromMN; 04-19-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: format
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

I don't know about this but I rather continue with High Performance Driving (HPD) events with local track junkies. Normally, a two day event driving 4X per day for 45 minutes is around $300.00 plus hotel $75 nightly. Can't beat the cost or excitement of driving safely FLATOUT!

The track event cost will depend on attendance numbers and particular track. 4K = years of fun!

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber MS Park